Top 10 places to retire from Forbes

General Udon Thani topics only!
tony525
udonmap.com

Top 10 places to retire from Forbes

Post by tony525 » November 9, 2009, 8:21 am

Forbes issue of Novemeber 2nd 2009 lists Thailand as one of the best places to retire in the world.(for middle-market retirees)
The winners are: Canada, Panama, Thailand, Australia, Malaysia, Ireland, Italy, Austria, Spain, France. The top 10 were selected based on safety, convenience, health care, culture and cost.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Top 10 places to retire from Forbes

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 9, 2009, 8:46 am

This list does not make much sense. For example, from what I understand Panama is very, very violent and a place to avoid rather than one to embrace.

Canada is okay for health care, but convenient?!? It gets very cold with blustery winds in the winter, and some parts of Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal et al are far from safe. Culture...what culture? Ice-hockey does not count. Costs in Canada are very prohibitive for most retired people, which is why they look for somewhere else for retirement unless they want to end up in an old age home.

I do not see how France and Spain make the list either unless conditions in both countries have improved remarkably over the past few decades. In fact, Thailand and Malaysia might be the only worthy countries on that list for retirees. I wonder why the Philippines is not included, or Ecuador?

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » November 9, 2009, 9:53 am

I have lived in Canada all my 55 years and I can tell you it is expensive with bad and worse winters depending on where you live in the country. Also the crime level is a lot worse than most people think with many gangs and murders over fighting for drug dealing turf.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 9, 2009, 10:18 am

Most of those places you need big money to have a good standard of living when you retire.
Yes,I agree about Malaysia and Thailand being the only obvious ones on the list.I'll take your word about Panama being violent.
As well as Ecuador and the Phillipines not mentioned,hows about Uruguay ?
Supposedly an up and coming place for retirees.....cheap to live and pretty ladies !
Uruguayan girl.jpg
Uruguayan girl.jpg (4.16 KiB) Viewed 3317 times

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 9, 2009, 10:36 am

A friend of mine has researched the Central and South American countries and suggests that farang are targeted for crime (robbed, kidnapped) in Uruguay outside the main centres; however, he still wants to visit and see for himself. He prefers Ecuador in that part of the world.

However, he has three girlfriends (at last count) in the Philippines, and that seems to be his favoured destination. He also has a girlfriend in Venezuela but reckons it is unstable owing to Chavez who does not seem to like gringos.

I like Thailand as a final destination with perhaps Laos as a second choice owing to the cultural and language factor.

Another friend has not worked since he was 30 and spends 5 months a year in Thailand and the rest of the year in Canada for the medical benefits. He sometimes makes side trips to Cambodia and Vietnam. He is one of those guys who goes to Pattaya for the bar girls but prefers to remain single.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 9, 2009, 12:29 pm

I can understand the Phillipines not being on the list, as safety was mentioned as one of the criteria. I too am surprised that Panama should be on there.

France and Spain have improved a lot over the last decade or two. Though I believe Spain is having it's troubles currently with a collapsing property market.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 9, 2009, 2:53 pm

I read something on MSN in the last couple of weeks about Mexico,Ecuador and Panama being in the top ten.I noticed Mexico was also excluded from the Forbes list.

I think these lists are very subjective,but I find them interesting anyway.

By the way,in case some of you might not know,Nong Khai was touted as the 7th best place to retire in the World by a retirement magazine out of Florida.I know after I moved here ,I heard alot of people quoting it!

It definitely fits for me,but I can't see how a majority of people would choose it! :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 9, 2009, 2:56 pm

Here a link to the above referenced:http://www.ryt9.com/es/prg/26041/

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 9, 2009, 3:01 pm

Spain built far too many properties and swamped the market which has fallen through the floor.
A vast over supply.
Combined with all the scare stories with local councils and their land grabs, demolishing peoples homes.

I did want to live in Thailand to retire but have changed my mind, due to a combination of factors. Me Rose tinted glasses have fallen off.
I'll stay until I'm 65 then go and live in the UK.
I'm in the process of buying a new apartment in Cornwall, which I'll rent out to the local council on a rolling 5 year contract.
Use it as gearing and buy more properties for buy to let. I feel sorry for the guys who burned all their bridges and are stuck in Thailand. Not the place to be when I'm old.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 9, 2009, 3:39 pm

Prenders wrote:I feel sorry for the guys who burned all their bridges and are stuck in Thailand. Not the place to be when I'm old.
I just wonder what would happen to such people, if they were to return to the UK (penniless or otherwise) and present themselves to Social Services, as many of our Immigrant friends appear to do. Maybe they would get local housing and social security handouts/benefits along with subsequent free NHS treatment once back living in the UK. After all if they paid their NIC's prior to retirement, they have surely earned it.

One of my main concerns in LOS, would be the cost of medical care in Thailand if I became hospitalised in my remaining last few months or years. :?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 9, 2009, 8:09 pm

arjay wrote: One of my main concerns in LOS, would be the cost of medical care in Thailand if I became hospitalised in my remaining last few months or years. :?
That is one of my main concerns now!DNR !!!

I would think that the inability to have hospitalization insurance after the age of 70,would put Thailand farther down on the lists for great places to retire! [-X

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 9, 2009, 9:08 pm

Health care is definitely a major worry when decided where to retire to.
Today I received my BUPA health care renewal notice. 33% increase on last years premium. :evil:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 9, 2009, 9:09 pm

"I feel sorry for the guys who burned all their bridges and are stuck in Thailand. "

I'd agree if they reached a point where they wanted to return to their native country but couldn't because of ill-health or lack of funds (poor planning on their part). But I'd also feel sorry for the guys who opted not to take the left at the fork in the road while they were still able to do so.....and later regretted their decision.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » November 9, 2009, 9:28 pm

"The winners are: Canada, Panama, Thailand, Australia, Malaysia, Ireland, Italy, Austria, Spain, France. The top 10 were selected based on safety, convenience, health care, culture and cost."

Austria is a great place to visit but I can't for the life of me,,, understand why it would be included here....

You need to be rich to reside there for any length of time,,,,

I sometimes wonder if these articles are just a windup,,,,,,LL

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 9, 2009, 10:35 pm

LoongLee wrote:..... Austria is a great place to visit but I can't for the life of me,,, understand why it would be included here....

You need to be rich to reside there for any length of time,,,,
Until recently Austria had one of the most opaque financial and banking systems in the world, it is only just over a month ago that Reuters reported that Austria was to be removed from the OECD grey list of tax havens - Forbes may have been unaware that Austria was to become less opaque at the time the article was being written.

Panama, however, is still on the list.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » November 9, 2009, 11:39 pm

Good points Jimbo,,,,,,,,, I was refering more to the cost of living aspects...

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”