Tragic consequences of running red lights

This forum is for personal video clips or favourite clips from youtube etc. (Only videos relating to Udon Thani and Thailand please)
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Tragic consequences of running red lights

Post by Khun Paul » November 9, 2009, 8:02 pm

Um, Thais mentality is that it will not happen to them, however we all know that is not true, for years the system has been the same a Governmental shake up is needed however that is hardly likely to happen in the near future so we will see stupidity, gross negligence and uncaring populace for the foreseeable futre, the only people making money are the WATS for the burial/funeral rites.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 9, 2009, 8:05 pm

Today at the 4 way intersection of Nongwahsaw and the Udon-Loei Highway, there was a police stop just after you turn left off the highway. It's a common lunch-time feature in that neighborhood, police checking licenses, registration, etc. I showed my Thai driver's license, and as always, I was waved on. Just as I was pulling out, a student on a motorcycle rounded the intersection, noticed the cops and sped past the cop in the middle of the road. Because I was pulling out, he had to pull into the oncoming lane, as traffic was heading toward the traffic light. Longstoryshort, he vanished, the cops could do nothing.

I've seen the same evasive maneuvers a number of times......I'm curious whether the cops ever catch these kids, and if so, do they increase the fine? A thrashing would be most appropriate, in my opinion.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 9, 2009, 8:22 pm

Funny,this morning I am on my bicycle going through the ThaSadet market a lady passes me on her M/B just before the T junction and runs right into the midsection of a M/B going through the main market pathway.Immediately both start yelling at each other,so I guess they were physically OK.Plenty of people around,so I just went around it to the Promenade!
I don't know if they even think about ''rules of the road'' for right away or not,maybe they forgot Buddha wasn't fasting this morning :roll:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » November 9, 2009, 9:27 pm

I summoned my Wife and daughter to watch this Video. They were quite shocked .
I know they are pretty careful on a M/C but it just might sink in.
Even I, at seeing this video always when at traffic lights, check that no arrogant driver has jumped the lights.
The traffic lights at Big C is a regular accident area.Yesterday There was a group of Paramedics in their vehicle parked under the fly over ...just waiting for a "accident"
These people think they so smart running lights.But who is to stop them? Police too busy checking the helmets.(Which is just as important)
Running a light, ....take away M/C 6 months.That's what I say.
Briefly, I was involved in a fatal accident some years ago here in Udon.
That was a run the lights job.But How to prove? It cost me a lot of money.Who's fault? don't come into it!

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » November 9, 2009, 11:41 pm

lee wrote:I think it should be compulsory for people to watch videos like this as part of the driving licence procedure.
The driver's ed classes use to do that back when the 60s in the US. Showed some film and photos of actual MVIs. The the parents decided it was too tramatic from the kids to see so, the schools had to discontinue showing the reality of stupidity.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » November 10, 2009, 8:58 am

Right of Way? What is that? :razz: If a traffic light goes out all hell breaks loose because nobody knows nor cares about right of way and sequencing. Selfishness and overall lack of quality?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 10, 2009, 9:26 am

The right of way here is simple . If your bigger you've got it :lol:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » November 10, 2009, 10:33 am

trubrit wrote:The right of way here is simple . If your bigger you've got it :lol:
And the bigger money you got,......they have it! :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 10, 2009, 10:41 am

Not so sure about that morti - I reckon a 10 wheel truck will still have "right of way" over a Merc 200 :D

easterneye
udonmap.com

Post by easterneye » March 20, 2010, 3:13 am

Nothing on this vid suprises me ,,,,,,,, I have driven over a vast area of Thai roads N S E W and allthough in general I find the Thais lovely people unfortunately they all have a common fault IMO ,,,,,impatience ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there is no rhyme or reason to it the majority of the time,,,,,,,,,,they will jump lights like this then piss about at 15kms per hour for the next 20kms

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 20, 2010, 4:35 am

Yes so true!That attitude is "I first".Stop at traffic lights, along comes several riders.They all get "in front" waiting for the green light.
Then, when time to go roar off then go into slow mode! Weird people. I cant work them out its beyond me!But then I am a farang ....and they are right NAH DAK?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 20, 2010, 3:38 pm

I had made a comment in which I partly blamed the Ins Coys and true to udon map fashion I recieved a caustic reply.
NO tyhe Ins do not work the lights, BUT their dilatory attitude in dealing with their customers such as NOT ensuring peole are actually licenced and the fact that they seemingly pay out willy nilly in most accidents instead of ensuring fault is in my mind probably part of the cause for Thai's non acceptance of higher driving standards and leads to devil may care attitude.

If Thais were heavily fined or even faced a prison sentence in extremem circumstances for NOT having an ins in road accidents then many would think and IF the Govt 3rd party Ins was as strict they would find NO bike, No job an even bigger burden. let alone having to pay for bike that is all smashed up for the next two to three years coupled with Finance coys also denying further loans for another bike/car etc until loan paid off a other huge deterrent.

But this is Thailand just ensure your vehicle Insurance is No 1 and drive carefully. eh!!!!!!!!!!

Julien

Post by Julien » March 23, 2010, 5:04 pm

We must be careful, that's all.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » December 17, 2010, 9:47 pm

Julien wrote:We must be careful, that's all.

Unfortunately, being careful isn't enough. After moving to Khon Kaen from Udon about 3 years ago, I made a decision to buy a car. This decision occured roughly 5 seconds after my wife & I were cut down by a truck that swerved into us for no apparent reason. We were quite lucky as we were both wearing helmets at the time. I ended up with a bruised knee & a scab the size of a strip of bacon on my back, while my wife nearly lost a finger, but quick medical intervention saved her pinky.

Remarkably, the driver of the truck actually stopped!!! This is quite rare - typically, people flee if at all possible in situations like this, especially if they are at fault. Taking responsibility for one's actions isn't on the top of the priority list for Thais. The driver was freaking out, waving 2,000 baht in my face. I took the money & told her to piss off. I was more focused on saving my wife's finger & took her to a clinic that was literally across the street.

Anyway, since then, neither my wife nor me has driven a motorcycle out of our little village within KKC. Regardless of how sane/sober/safe you are, driving a cycle in Thailand is much like playing Russian roulette. This graphic video reminded me of why I drive sparingly & when I do, it's a car.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » December 18, 2010, 11:21 pm

Thai's definitely need to drive defensively something I believe very few do.As far as udon having the worst drivers in the world I don't agree with that.I see the same thing all over thailand.Bangkok,Korat,Khon Kaen,chiang mai.
Someone told me ya haven't seen anything til ya go to Saigan,or Hanoi.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » December 19, 2010, 9:06 pm

You can add Cambodia to that list as well. The worst of the worst!

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » December 28, 2010, 7:40 pm

For those who dont know, Bad accident in Bangkok yesterday... Gruesome!
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/429 ... -accident/

Return to “Udon Thani & Thailand Video Clips”