Retirement Visa.

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
doo
udonmap.com

Retirement Visa.

Post by doo » October 30, 2009, 12:27 pm

Hi,
Went to Nong Khai Imagration yesterday to get a extension to "O" type visa, i.e. retirement visa, they don't do this at Udon A.P. img. No stamps they said, Very easy job, much to my surprise, all you have to do is take a form T7, your passport and a letter from British Embassy, I'm from the British Isles, stating your pay, also a 4-6 photo, they said they could take photo, but I had one. Took wife with me, made life easy. Got to lady next to Mr. Happy, Laugh and joke with Mr Happy and her, very good. They did not want anything else. Why people don't like him I don't know, he is a great guy. I had everything with me but Imag. did not require them. I took copies etc. but imag. photo copied everything and did not charge. Total cost 1,900B. Plus "had" to buy watch from lady at imag. Wife's birthday next week so I said it was her birthday present, and she liked it.
Far easier than having to go to Laos every 90 days, and cheaper, 35 USD's at Lao border plus driving there etc. Have to have a "O" type visa and be in LOS for 60 days before applying. "O" type visa cannot be obtained inside of LOS. but must be obtained in another country.
This is not hearsay but what happened to me. Hope this will help other people. I also asked if i could report every 90 days to imag. at Udon a.p. they said yes no need to go to NK.
Cheers Doug.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Retirement Visa.

Post by jackspratt » October 30, 2009, 12:53 pm

Good to see your report, Doug.

Now, will you be sending me a PM re my free lunch? :D

I have already lined up a free bottle of imported wine to wash it all down with :guiness:

BTW - an extension to an O visa is not a "retirement visa". It is exactly as it says - an extension, based on whatever type of valid visa you have/had (including O, and O-A).

doo
udonmap.com

Post by doo » October 30, 2009, 3:57 pm

Hi.
Jacksprat on the visa I got it says in red print Retirement, valid until, 18 November 2010. got on 29 October 2009. To me this states clearly it is a retirement visa. I may be wrong. I can show you it if you wish. Having trouble with my printer scanner otherwise i would have sent a copy to you, I had a "O" visa which expires on 18 November 2009. On the visa I got it does not mention "O" or "A". on it just retirement and when valid to, 18 Nov. 2010 and if you leave LOS in this time you must fill in form T8 or it will become invalid.
As I said I hope this will help others and dispell myths like having to have a police reports etc.
Cheers Doug.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » October 30, 2009, 5:10 pm

hi doo
Jacksprat is quite correct the extension that you have obtained is just an extension of your o-a visa or O visa. Yes your passport will show ( as mine does) that it is retirement. It is still however an extension of your visa and as mentioned on many,many previous threads it seems unlikely that an O-A retirement visa can be obtained within Thailand. I have obtained 6 yearly extensions but they are NOT O-A visas :|

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » October 30, 2009, 5:27 pm

Doo? Did you have a letter from your bank stating your income?as They dont except viewing just the passbook?

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » October 30, 2009, 6:19 pm

It is not an extension of a visa - it is an extension of his 90 day stay for reason of retirement. There is normally no passbook required for an extension of stay based on Embassy letter of full 65k income. A non immigrant visa entry can be obtained inside Thailand using a TM86 or TM87 form at a cost of 2,000 baht in the retirement extension of stay process but not all offices handle that so best to have a non immigrant visa entry first. One thing to remember; in addition to 90 day reports, is that any trip out of Thailand requires you obtain a re-entry permit first or your extension will end on exit.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » October 30, 2009, 6:29 pm

jackspratt wrote:Good to see your report, Doug.

Now, will you be sending me a PM re my free lunch? :D

I have already lined up a free bottle of imported wine to wash it all down with :guiness:

BTW - an extension to an O visa is not a "retirement visa". It is exactly as it says - an extension, based on whatever type of valid visa you have/had (including O, and O-A).
So it was an extension he was wanting not an OA Visa....as I think we told him....Enjoy that Free Lunch =D>

Well Done Doug.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 30, 2009, 11:51 pm

lopburi3 wrote: ..... in addition to 90 day reports, is that any trip out of Thailand requires you obtain a re-entry permit first or your extension will end on exit.
Where would you apply for the re-entry permit and when, prior to leaving Thailand?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 31, 2009, 6:51 am

For Udonites, you need to get your re-entry permit from Nong Khai (or hopefully, soon from the new office at UT airport). Generally, you can no longer get one at Swampy as you are leaving Thailand.

Apply any time before you are leaving.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 31, 2009, 3:42 pm

Yes the applying of the reentry visa was moved from Don Muang /swapy cos Immigration had then to work so very hard at being nice. It was moved to your local Imm Shop as it where to free up the Immigration at the main airports ... a point i could not really understand at all.... however you can apply as i believe it to be true up to 3 months before departure so when you next get your 90 permission you can apply for a reentry at the same time, svaes trips. But then again the rules may have changed again as they do with monotonous regularity, just to cause as much hassle as they can while sipping their tea or whatever.

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » October 31, 2009, 6:45 pm

You can apply any time before travel - many people get one at the same time they get there extension of stay to be sure then can travel without notice. Just be sure to get extension of stay stamp first as the expiration date of the re-entry is keyed to that stamp.

doo
udonmap.com

Post by doo » November 2, 2009, 1:12 pm

Hi,
Regarding free lunch, I said i would get,if someone would tell me what was ALL they require at N.K. Imag. Nobody on this board give me full details. i.e. Passport, letter from British Embassy showing yearly income in British Isles, Form TM 7, a photo, not passport size but 4 by 6 cms., Which on reading through the posts nobody mentioned. Also where you were living and how long you had been there. As it happens this was on the proof of earnings letter i got from the B.E., my house address. I had all the house papers with me, they did not want to see them.
My wife brought a charming lady that lives near us to the house and said this is what she does all the time. The lady said that all above was required She asked did I rent or buy the property I was living in. I said it was bought four years ago. she said no problem you will not even need house book. I said I'd rather take it, she said UTY. I did not need it imag did not even ask for it. She said my wife would have to bring he ID. card and show it to them, Which she did and they wanted to see it and photo copy it. Lady said do not photocopy papers as they would not take them, they do there own, she was correct. She said they do not charge for P.C's. of these, she was right. Only cost 1,900B total and about 2.5Hrs.
My wife said afterward, why did you not take you own advice that you told me five years ago. Taken aback i said what advice. She said go to the horses mouth when you want to check something.
I will be taking the charming lady and my wife out to dinner next weekend as she was the only one to provide all the correct details. Don't think the wife will let me go with her by myself.
Cheers.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 2, 2009, 1:59 pm

Damn!

And I was so looking forward to a good feed of Pepper Roasted Salmon (entrée), then Pepper Steak - medium rare - as a main, and finished with a large bowl peppercorn ice cream :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 2, 2009, 2:41 pm

Ooooh! You are making me hungry jacksprat. Black pepper crab is one of my all time favorites. A nice green salad with black peppercorn dressing is a great way to start the meal as well.

Marlowe
udonmap.com

Post by Marlowe » November 18, 2009, 2:43 pm

Re.: Retirement Visa

Is anyone aware of anyone ever being busted for working while having a Retirement Visa. My friend has a company and is on a Retirement Visa. Does he need to worry?

Also, when "he" went to get his "Marriage" Visa, they said he did not have enough money for one; which is when they offered him a Retirement Visa.

Is the so-called Marriage Visa more difficult to get than Retirement?

Does anyone know any SPECIFICS? I live in NK and go to NK Immig. (I mean "my friend"!)

Appreciated.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 18, 2009, 7:38 pm

Marlowe wrote:Re.: Retirement Visa

Is anyone aware of anyone ever being busted for working while having a Retirement Visa. My friend has a company and is on a Retirement Visa. Does he need to worry?

Also, when "he" went to get his "Marriage" Visa, they said he did not have enough money for one; which is when they offered him a Retirement Visa.

Is the so-called Marriage Visa more difficult to get than Retirement?

Does anyone know any SPECIFICS? I live in NK and go to NK Immig. (I mean "my friend"!)

Appreciated.
The financial requirements for an extension based retirement are 65K a month or 800K a year. An extension based on marriage is 40K a month or 400K a year. Either one shouldn't be difficult to get as long you have what's required, however from reading on the forum(s) the extension based on retirement seems less of a hassle.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 18, 2009, 8:17 pm

From everything I have read, your "friend" certainly does need to worry if he/she is working whilst in Thailand on a (colloquially named) "retirement" visa.

Retirement seems to indicate "finished working". If he/she is still working, they need to have a work visa, with all the attendant requirements that go with it.

Marlowe
udonmap.com

Post by Marlowe » November 18, 2009, 8:26 pm

Yeah it's strange she offered the Retirement i/o the Marriage, when the $$$ seem to be less.

Maybe there are other requirements - I may swing by and ask early (for my friend) about a marriage one.

Although everyone warns about not working, think chances are slim of anything happening in reality - may be wrong.

But when the Retirement was given last time, she didn't seem overly concerned about the person working; but then again, that depends on who you get.

Today a new, cheeky, rather arrogant young one wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise - when I stopped by to say hi.

For you Udonites, though, as most of you know, the first question out of her mouth was: Where do you live?!? I live here, OK?!? Gimme a break!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » November 19, 2009, 5:27 am

Marlowe wrote:Yeah it's strange she offered the Retirement i/o the Marriage, when the $$$ seem to be less.
I'm only guessing, but it may be that the retirement extension is easier to process than the marriage extension. Extensions based on retirement are approved on the spot provided that the requirements are met. Whereas an extension based on marriage is forwarded to BKK Imm for approval, more attention is given to the application and may be more time consuming for the Imm official...just my theory :D

Marlowe
udonmap.com

Post by Marlowe » November 19, 2009, 6:53 am

And a good theory it sounds like, too, PapaG! I've been doing this over 20 years and still am pretty clueless to the whole bloody process! Just do what I need to to make it to the next year...

Which is why I said, hey, OK, I'm not gonna say NO to a Retirement Visa if you're offering me one for some reason - and not questioning "one's" work status, whether they have a company, and so on.

I may simply ask about the M Visa (so-called, yes) but happily accept the R if offered again.

I mean, how many years does one have to "get away" with something before one needn't worry about it.

Me, once I get it, I stop worrying, and chances that I'll get a call or a knock at the door are pretty darn slim - IMHO - and in my limited experience!

Thanks so much for the informed advice - much appreciated.

We'll see what happens this time, THIS YEAR. (Meanwhile, my wife is granted a 10-year Non-Imm Multiple Entry to the US! Won't even ask, "What up wit dat?!?")

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”