Any 7th RRFS Ramasun Station alumnae on the forum??

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Any 7th RRFS Ramasun Station alumnae on the forum??

Post by FrazeeDK » January 11, 2008, 9:37 am

7th RRFS, O5H, 73-75.. Any others in the forum server at the Field Station back in the day???

Dave

usa

Re: Any 7th RRFS Ramasun Station alumnae on the forum??

Post by usa » February 1, 2009, 6:25 am

i was a mars operator from 73-75. best duty i ever had in my 10 yr army career. would do it again in a ny minute if i could go back to the 70s thailand. love the people.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 1, 2009, 6:58 am

welcome to the forum USA!!! As you can see I never had any responses on that initial query... I think most of the expat late Vietnam era vets are AF types... I figure that within the next few years more ex-Ramasun folks will start getting ready to retire and move to Udon...

jackman

Post by jackman » February 1, 2009, 9:40 pm

Yeah Dude,
I was at the 7th Rock and Roll Freak Show from July'74 till they kicked us out in April of '76. I was an MP and I know a lot of Hogs from the 7th. I've been here since 2000 and you're right just Zoomies over here in Udon.Lets link up and drink a beer. We can even go to the site if you wish. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Jackman

usa

Post by usa » February 3, 2009, 2:21 am

mars operator at ramasun 73-75. best tour of duty any one could ask for. email me [email protected]

Whiskeybravo
udonmap.com

Post by Whiskeybravo » February 3, 2009, 2:34 am

I was stationed at Ramasun from May '68 - Mar '69 and July '70 - Feb '74. USAF 202 (98C for you Army types). Another nickname for the place was 7th Recon Ranger Field Station. :lol: I think quite a few old Non Soong GIs will be heading back to Udon in the next few years.

northny739

Post by northny739 » March 9, 2009, 7:18 pm

Just caught this site as I was searching for any recent pics of the FLR9.
Stationed at the 7th from Dec 73 to Mar 76. Best duty in the world.
98C, played B Ball and V Ball with "A" Co. But usually played Softball with a bunch of my "Hog" buddies.
Been to a couple of the 7th Reunions. One in DC and one in Kentucky.
Dan

JDEarl

Post by JDEarl » April 9, 2009, 6:24 am

Okay, I kind of remember a Frazee, so I presume that would be you. I think I was in your TAOT class at Fort Devens,(took 05H school at Pensacola with the Navy) and ended up at Ramasun from 6-73 to 7-74, and again from 6-75 to 4-76. I was an 05H until the end, and was working in the IATS section when the whole show closed down. Still miss that place.

Peace,

John

randylrouch

Post by randylrouch » May 19, 2009, 1:04 am

I WAS AT RAMASUN STATION FROM NOV 72 THRU JUL 74. WORKED IN THE HEADQUARTERS BUILDING IN THE S-1/ADJUTANT OFFICE AS A CLERK TYPIST. I LIVED OFF POST ALL THETIME AFTER MY FIRST MONTH THERE. IT WAS A GREAT PLACE.

MY SON TOOK ME BACK IN 2006 FOR A VISIT. STILL LOOKS THE SAME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuDaFovYiMI

http://issan.org/

I TOOK 30 POUNDS OF CANDY AND 800 PENCILS TO GIVE TO THE KIDS AT A SCHOOL MY SON WOULD HAVE ATTENDED IF HE HAD GROWNED UP OVER THERE. HE GOT TO MEET HIS THAI FAMILY AND WE HAD A GREAT TIME.

HE ENJOYED THE TRIP TO THE SCHOOL SO MUCH WHEN WE GOT HOME HE STARTED A WEBSITE TO HELP THE SCHOOL IN THE VILLAGE HIS FAMILY LIVED IN. IN 2007 HE AND HIS WIFE RETURNED FOR A MONTH TO SEE THAILAND AND WORK AT THE SCHOOL.

THE PEOPLE ARE STILL SO FRIENDLY.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 19, 2009, 6:05 am

Those photos ring a bell(in the issan.org link)..??? did your son join and post on here before... :-k

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 19, 2009, 6:18 am

beer monkey wrote:Those photos ring a bell(in the issan.org link)..??? did your son join and post on here before... :-k
Yes he did BM. A while back his son posted he was coming to look for his family's ville and was looking for assistance. Got loads of help, eventually finding the ville, his family and making a connection.

Garnet
udonmap.com

Post by Garnet » May 24, 2009, 7:32 am

I think this was the page where he posted a link that told his story in detail, but the links don't work any longer:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/i ... 91-30.html

It was a great read, and many of us were much affected by it.

HouTexRich

Post by HouTexRich » June 3, 2009, 11:31 pm

FWIW
I was at the 7th 69-70 - 74F (computer programmer)
worked in the same room as the 05Ds -
played some basketball and hung out at the Kon Tiki

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 4, 2009, 8:38 pm

I realize this is a long shot, but at the last Memorial Day ceremony at St Mary's cemetery, I came across a grave marked: JOHN NADALINE, OCT 20, 1967. I've previously catalogued all the expats buried at St Mary's, but this one lay hidden behind some old candles and a flower vase. John's grave is in the old section of the cemetery, and he's buried next to ELMER LYNCH who died in 1976, supposedly as the result of being shot. I haven't had a chance to inquire within the church itself. Any chance there's a vet out there who's aware of John Nadaline?

henwit

Post by henwit » June 8, 2009, 4:07 am

Yes, 72B....commcen tape ape.
2 tours....'67-'68 & '69-'71

Hank Witmer

Phantasm

Post by Phantasm » November 13, 2009, 11:13 am

Hi all,

I was at the 7th for a while [72, 73, & 74] then I married my “Tea-Lok” and Uncle Sam pulled my security clearance and it was USA here we come. That was when I changed from my red “Cobra 7” baseball cap back to my “Girl scout” headgear. Peacetime stateside duty was a shock after spending years in SE Asia. The nights and days in “the box” were not the greatest but the time off in Thailand was unforgettable. I haven’t been back yet but next time the wife goes I plan on accompanying her. It will be interesting to see how things have changed. I am thinking about the possibility if having a place there when I quit working [as a civilian now of course]. I am not in touch with any of the people I knew there so it was nice stumbling onto your form. I enjoyed reading all of your posts. For “usa” I bet AB9USA brings back some memories at the MARS station.

P.S. is the "Elephant Cage" still there?

Chuck Forbes
Sacramento, CA

micasabe

Post by micasabe » December 11, 2009, 7:17 pm

Hi I was a hog at 7th RRFS from 1975 till it shutdown. Best duty I ever had. Visit Thailand whenever I can. :-"

7thRRFS

Post by 7thRRFS » December 12, 2009, 1:17 am

I was at 7th RRFS 07/72 - 07/74 as a 98B. Been back to Udon Thani several times since then (94, 99, 2005, 2008). Thai wife and I are planning on retiring there sometime next year.

Drove past Ramasun in 1994 and the cage is gone but you can still see some of it's remains. I was searching the internet a couple of weeks back and found some recent pictures of 7th RRFS. The ops building is in complete ruins. Basically rusted and crumpling down.

dvdderoche

Post by dvdderoche » January 7, 2010, 2:23 pm

I spent most of '74 up until '76 when the start of the close happened. I was walking near B Company office whenI was told I had one hour to pack and get out. I was a 98C. Been a long time. Got sent to DLI so it was not too bad of a trip. Good duty there.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 8, 2010, 7:38 pm

DeRoche.. 98C?? remember, Charlie Phillips or Al Vierstahler??? Both married Thais.. Al since divorced, Al unknown as he re-upped and became an 11C M113 section chief at Fort Carson...

Return to “Notice Board”