GPS in Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
bluejets
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by bluejets » January 24, 2010, 12:50 pm

Any ideas on brand of GPS for Thailand.

Had looked at getting map update but it appears when dealing with units around 7,500 baht, it is just as cost effective to buy a new unit when I come over.

jorg
udonmap.com

Re: GPS in Thailand

Post by jorg » January 24, 2010, 1:31 pm

Can not help you with a brand, but if you have a (recent) smartphone with GPS you can use Google Maps, that requires a internet connection on your phone to, or if you have a supported Nokia phone you can use the free navigation Ovi Maps (however I cannot find if Thailand is supported, but if you look at maps.ovi.com/ I think it is).

Google Maps: surf on your mobile to m.google.com or to http://www.google.com/mobile/

Ovi Maps: maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » January 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

GPS units are very expensive in Thailand...I have a Garmin that I bought in the US and the same unit in Thailand is twice as much...

Stoneman

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 24, 2010, 2:34 pm

Buy a Garmin in The UK,& You can buy the Thai Maps when you get here.......As stated GPS Is Very Expensive in Thailand compared to the UK...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 24, 2010, 2:37 pm

Agree re Garmin - preferably bought outside Thailand.

And maps can be obtained very (very) cheaply over the internet. :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » January 24, 2010, 5:25 pm

The prices of Satellite navigation units have dropped like sh*t off a shovel in the UK.
The cheapest I have seen is the Binatone F350 at £60.
Another £10 and you can have a Navman Mio.

The prices for Garmin units are holding up well, and thats what I have. Garmin Nuvi.

I wonder why Sat Nav is so expensive in Thailand, is it the tax maybe?

Anyone here have Sat Nav in Thailand, and how do you get on with it?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 24, 2010, 6:41 pm

Prenders, Yeah a mate of mine ( Yes,I do have a few ) here in Nong Khai has a Garmin in his car,and he is delighted with it......

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » January 24, 2010, 7:49 pm

I have a Thai friend with a Garmin unit. He lives in Rayong and visits Bangkok a lot. When he first bought the unit he was impressed with it as it helped him find his way, most of the time.

A year later he said it was a waste of money. He said trying to use it in Bangkok wasn't really useful as it just didn't have all the information needed to really get around easily. The work arounds to get around weren't there, and it caused more problems than it solved.

Out in the provinces he thought it was still pretty good.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 24, 2010, 8:35 pm

I have had a (Garmin) GPS for about 15 months - used extensively in Oz and here.

If used correctly, they are invaluable. Not 100% foolproof, but make life so much easier when used for planning trips in conjunction with google map and/or Mapsource - rather than relying on the sometimes crazy directions you get at times from the locals.

The reason people tend (I think) to recommend the Garmin units for Thailand is they seem to have the best maps (there are at least 3 different maps for Thailand). Maps are generally not interchangeable between different brands of GPS, and as far as I am aware, the only well known brands which have Thailand maps are Garmin, Mio and TomTom.

A further issue is access to maps, which are generally updated (by Garmin at least) every 6 or 12 months. Purchasing maps tends to be an expensive business, although as I intimated earlier in this thread, like all software they are readily (freely :D ) available on a number of websites.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » January 25, 2010, 5:28 am

jackspratt wrote:Agree re Garmin - preferably bought outside Thailand.

And maps can be obtained very (very) cheaply over the internet. :D
Just wondering where you found your maps. I checked on the net and anywhere that related to Garmin came up with Thailand maps around Au$195.00.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 25, 2010, 8:27 am

Have sent you a PM bluejets.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » January 27, 2010, 9:34 am

I have a Garmin 265W and have found it to be excellent. I have Thai, Malaysia/Singapore and Australian maps loaded.

In Chiang Mai I fixed the lid off a coffee can on the front inside of my M/C basket. The suction cup mount fixed to this and a little padding on the bottom of the basket and no worries if it fell off. Easy to unclip it and keep it safe in your pocket when the M/C is parked.
Excellent for riding in a strange city.
John

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 27, 2010, 5:01 pm

In MBK on the same floor as the 100's of phone shops, and in the far left corner of the floor is a Garmin shop and they will upload copy programmes for approx 2500-4500 depending what u need and models etc.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2010, 5:12 pm

wazza wrote:In MBK on the same floor as the 100's of phone shops, and in the far left corner of the floor is a Garmin shop and they will upload copy programmes for approx 2500-4500 depending what u need and models etc.
Way too expensive wazz :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 27, 2010, 5:37 pm

But probably includes the boonies such as Banned Dung :razz:

matts

Post by matts » January 27, 2010, 8:30 pm

does the iphone have gps do you know

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 27, 2010, 8:38 pm

wazza wrote:But probably includes the boonies such as Banned Dung :razz:
All the maps (3) include Bun Dang wazz. Some have better detail for the boonies, others have better details for the big smokes. Fortunately with a Garmin you can load them all (after downloading - very, very cheaply) and choose the one that best suits your current location.

And you can even get a good map of Tasmania, although we would probably need to move this thread to the Nightlife forum :D

FlyingKiwi
udonmap.com

Post by FlyingKiwi » February 22, 2010, 7:23 am

jackspratt wrote:I have had a (Garmin) GPS for about 15 months - used extensively in Oz and here.

The reason people tend (I think) to recommend the Garmin units for Thailand is they seem to have the best maps (there are at least 3 different maps for Thailand). Maps are generally not interchangeable between different brands of GPS, and as far as I am aware, the only well known brands which have Thailand maps are Garmin, Mio and TomTom.

. Purchasing maps tends to be an expensive business, although as I intimated earlier in this thread, like all software they are readily (freely :D ) available on a number of websites.

I currently use a Tom Tom unit in NZ and am very pleased with it but was anticipating that I may be forced to change to a Garmin to access Thai maps because, AFAIK, Tom Tom doesn't "do" Thailand?? If you know something different Jackspratt please share :D

If I am correct (and therefore obliged to get a Garmin for all the other good reasons people here have already mentioned) could you also point me in the direction of the "freely" available maps please....... ;)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 22, 2010, 8:40 am

I understand that Tom Tom maps for Thailand are now available.

I will send you a PM re accessing the "cheaper" maps. :D

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 22, 2010, 4:05 pm

The Tom Tom maps for Thailand have been available since november 09 in the UK

Return to “Travel & Transport”