Thai Driving licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
udonnick

Thai Driving licence

Post by udonnick » September 7, 2009, 11:25 am

Hello

Ive been doing some reading up on getting a thai driving licence

Im i correct in saying i can do this at AEK Udon? Hospital?

I have full International licence
Full UK licence
Full thai work permit
I guess ill do the medical there

Im i correct??? what times do they open ?

Thanks

douglas
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Driving licence

Post by douglas » September 7, 2009, 2:28 pm

Hi,
My mate did it at what was Pablo hospital. Now Panyavejinter Hospital by the railway station. Get the form from Udon driving lic. center. Cost at Pablo was 100B. for Med.. Then go to N.K. Imagration. best to bring your T.G./W with you, another 100B. Then go back to Udon driving lic. center. I don't know why but he had to do another color blindness test Then get your Lic. Mate got a motor bike and car lic. 360B for both. No need to bring photos waste of time they take your photo directly onto computer.
Hope this helps cheers Doug.

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » September 7, 2009, 2:37 pm

is it true!! can you drive in the uk on thai driving licence?

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » September 7, 2009, 3:09 pm

can you drive in the uk,on a thai driving licence?

dee

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 7, 2009, 3:16 pm

Yes it's true.

You can drive in the UK for 12 months on your Thai driving Licence.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » September 7, 2009, 3:21 pm

Prenders88 wrote:Yes it's true.

You can drive in the UK for 12 months on your Thai driving Licence.
can only thai passport holders drive in u.k on thai driving licence .
or can a u.k passport holder drive on a thai licence in the u.k .???

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 7, 2009, 3:24 pm

A UK citizen would be able to do so (for a period of time) as long as they also had a Thai issued International Driving Permit to accompany their Thai licence.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » September 7, 2009, 3:30 pm

Hi,
Pren on asking at the driving lic. center, I was told you could only drive for 6 months on a Thai, DL in the U.K. and then must take a test. you can drive in LOS for 12 months on a British DL. and do not have to take test. Just get a Thai Lic.. Maybe it's due to when they issued D.L.s without taking a test in LOS. Why the difference i don't know but they said this was the agreement with the British Gov..
Cheers Doug.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » September 7, 2009, 3:39 pm

Hi,
Bob you cannot use a I.D.P. in the country that issued it, it is stated clearly on the permit. i.e. issued in U.K. cannot use in U.K. Issued in LOS cannot use in LOS.
Cheers Doug.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 7, 2009, 3:51 pm

Please read my post again Douglas... :shock:
The question (from Martyn) was could a British citizen use his Thai licence in the UK??
While it is not a requirement of the UK Government to have an IDP - it would probably be requested by a car hire company if you went to them with a British Pasport & a Thai Driving Licence.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 7, 2009, 3:56 pm

douglas prem is not correct. The citizen of ANY country can drive in the UK on their national licence for 12 months.
Visitors from the EU can drive for ever.
Visitors from a number of foreign countries (manly ex-British Colonies) can then have their licence automatically converted to a UK one without a test.
Citizens not covered above must then take & pass a UK driving test to continue driving after 12 months.
Source DVLC...
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ... DG_4022561

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » September 7, 2009, 8:42 pm

when i returned to the uk from south africa. where i lived for many yrs. my wife had a south african driving licence. she could only use it for 12 months. and she had to have a driving test. maybe its now changed.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 7, 2009, 9:18 pm

The designated countries are:

Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Faroe Islands*, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea*, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe.
Looks like it has now Malc. (Although, of course, SA was not exactly always deemed favourably by the British Gov. :D )

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » September 8, 2009, 8:00 am

BobHelm wrote:A UK citizen would be able to do so (for a period of time) as long as they also had a Thai issued International Driving Permit to accompany their Thai licence.
where in udon can you get a thai international driving permit , whats involved and what cost ?
and Bob thank you for plain english easy to understand reply,s to all our problems and queries . =D>

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » September 8, 2009, 9:33 am

martynsnowman wrote:..... where in udon can you get a thai international driving permit , whats involved and what cost ?
There was a thread on this a while back:
It included these posts:
by Peterplay on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 am

Well, getting an International Driving Permit turned out to be a non event. Go to the 'Konsong'- place where they do drivers licences and road tax - in Udon and ask for an IDP.
They finish it while you're waiting.
No going to Bangkok or producing many forms.
by tutone on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 am

Here's some info for anyone wanting to get an international driving permit for a Thai citizen. Went to the transportation office this morning hoping to get one for my TGF as we are going to USA next month. She was denied because her Thai driver's license is new, a 1 year first issue. Thai person has to have the 5 year license before they will issue an IDP. Also the fee is 505 Baht and you are required to have 2 passport size photos. They do not do the photos there. We had to go up the road to a recommended photo shop, spend 80 Baht for the pics only to be told, sorry have to have 5 year license. I guess they view the 1 year license as some sort of learning permit. Who knows? TIT.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » January 27, 2010, 10:32 am

Just an update on the current procedure .Renewed my 5 year one yesterday. First went to office in AEK. They only issue the first one year extension . Perhaps I should explain. When you get your very first Thai license it is only considered to be a "short time" license.(Their words , not mine .)After one year you can get a full license valid one year. This can be done at AEK. On the expiry of this you can get a further 5 years, but only at the main center Nong Sung, on the Khon Kaen road .This also applies to further 5 year extensions. The procedure was quite painless but nether less time consuming .After going to AEK at 10 o'clock, then being redirected , I arrived there at 11.30. You take a number and then have to wait until there are enough applicants to start the film show. Well of course they go to lunch at 12 so no show until 1.00. At 1.30 they called us into the room and played a CD showing two families. The first a smart looking fair skinned guy, with a beautiful wife and lovely daughter. The other. a darker complexioned man and his son .I bet you all know who was the best driver :lol: Well not wishing to bore you , the second man crashed and put his kid in a wheelchair and the first guy lived happily ever after .Nothing what so ever about learning to use the roads as I expected. It took over an hour to finish. everyone now has to sit through it before going on to the next part . Another room and a colour blindness test. Then a reaction time test, this was a mock up of an accelerator and brake peddle. green light on, accelerate, red light , brake. Extra red lights come on at 5 second intervals and if you"ve got too many , sorry. not failed , try again. I actually saw one guy do it three times before he got it right .Hope when he has an accident he will get so many chances to avoid it . :lol: After this another number and wait for another room. Here you will pay the money, 605bht, then move desks to get photo taken and after about 5 minutes your new license is printed .Check the details carefully as a notice in Thai says it can only be altered on day of issue otherwise the full fee is payable again .Mine had my birth date wrong, so it does happen .I would advise anyone to take a Thai person with them as there are no English signs anywhere, although I was handed a booklet to read in English headed "Written Test"But no one ever tested me . :roll: So in summary. No money needed , apart from official fee, but a hell of a lot of patience. Never mind another 5years before I have to do it again . :D
Addendum to above. Only documents needed were old license, copy of yellow house book and copies of main page and visa stamp from passport .

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » January 27, 2010, 11:25 am

Thanks for that Trubrit,was thinking the same as you,AEK to reduce the numbers at Nong Sung,that damn accelerator machine again :evil:
Normally though if you are the only farang there,they tend to make you do the tests first and then leave the room,either so that you do not see any Thai have to do wrong time and time again or because if you cock up,then the Thais can have a laugh 8)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 27, 2010, 11:32 am

I renewed last year....the procedures were the same. Thing to remember: best time to arrive Noonsoon would be at 1:00....if you go in the morning and don't finish quickly, you'll have to allow for the long lunch break.

Look at the bright side: it's a 5 year license! You don't have to come back another day to pick it up. It's cheap. And when I've waved it at national parks, I pay the local rate.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » January 27, 2010, 12:31 pm

Just to reconfirm: you no longer have to go outside to the small booth to have your photo taken?

Also is it true that the new driver license no longer includes the adress? That had been very helpful for me so often...

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » January 27, 2010, 12:51 pm

Is Udon issuing new licenses (in English)?
The old ones (my current DL) is mostly Thai. The new one's I've seen are mostly English.

Return to “Travel & Transport”