cheap charlie

General Udon Thani topics only!
Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: cheap charlie

Post by Texpat » March 27, 2010, 4:35 am

putting a blue note under the table
a fifty? My guess is that will get you nothing but a glare.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 27, 2010, 7:33 pm

blue purple red or a gift basket (don't laugh, I know someone who thought it would help the visa process.....they declined the offer) don't matter.......although I did mean purple.

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

cheap charlies unite

Post by hangsaboot » March 30, 2010, 1:50 am

biscuitz wrote:dont leave anything, wot ever they put your change on the tray..... get a till its 46 baht = £1, sorry my money my choice

biscuitz,,
i think there will be a few more cheap charlies , coming on board soon .
on BBC RADIO 4 , yesterday , a financial boffin from the
INSTITUTE OF FISCAL STUDIES , said he expected the value of the pound
to drop by 3 per cent , over the next twelve mounths , then hopefully stabilize.
he continued to say ,
over the next five years , the goverment s main purpose is to reduce the amount we borrow .
so dont lend any more money ..
whats 3 percent of 47.36... 5 bht ..
oh ---- , where,s the panic button..

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 30, 2010, 10:00 am

I hope the financial boffin's maths are a lot better than yours, hangsa.

My calculator is admittedly quite old, but it still comes up with an answer of 1.42 when I multiply 47.36 by 3%. :-k :D

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » March 30, 2010, 2:07 pm

thanks jack ,,
thats not to bad , a fall ..

p.s. i doubled both sets of figures ...

Gaudente
udonmap.com

Post by Gaudente » April 6, 2010, 10:58 pm

old-timer wrote: I bet you were jumping for joy when you woke up the next morning and found that 10baht coin still in your pocket.
Indeed if he had woken up with a 20 baht note in his pocket instead of the 10 baht coin it would have been even better.
I really do not understand you guys with your tip mania , when you go in a bar instead of buying your beer or coke inside a 7-11 you are already paying a hefty surcharge, why do you feel compelled in further ripping off yourselves and also add a tip ? Are you that coward ? can't you simply pay the bill ?

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » April 6, 2010, 11:42 pm

Gaudente wrote: Indeed if he had woken up with a 20 baht note in his pocket instead of the 10 baht coin it would have been even better.
I really do not understand you guys with your tip mania , when you go in a bar instead of buying your beer or coke inside a 7-11 you are already paying a hefty surcharge, why do you feel compelled in further ripping off yourselves and also add a tip ? Are you that coward ? can't you simply pay the bill ?
in.

Though I agree with you Gaudente, there are some more tings to consider. Most of the surcharge, I believe, is going straight to the owners of the building. If I pay double the price in a bar compared to seven, then very little will be profit for the owner.
Another thing is that staff have to rely more on tip now than back in the good old days. With good old days I mean the eighties. I stand corrected here, but it`s my experience. Remember quite a few places in those days where they just smacked your change onto the table and walked away, not expecting anything.
One thing though that I find annoying is, if I buy 10 beers, 10 lady drinks and ring the bell once, when check bin and I don`t leave a tip, I`m still kee neao.
No one is forcing you to leave tip here but, that tray in front of you is a bit demanding, is it not?

Gaudente
udonmap.com

Post by Gaudente » April 7, 2010, 12:05 am

plien wrote: One thing though that I find annoying is, if I buy 10 beers, 10 lady drinks and ring the bell once, when check bin and I don`t leave a tip, I`m still kee neao.
Of course, the more you give, the more they demand.
Next time buy your beer at Tesco, and when you feel the need of a blow job give a call to your favourite freelancer , you will save a lot of money and also a lot of being called names.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » April 7, 2010, 1:48 am

Hmm... did MC get thrown out of UT again? :?

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 7, 2010, 8:12 am

I don't consider myself a cheap charlie,but I prudently avoid places that I know are ''overcharging'' for the services and products provided!If ,I didn't almost everyone or a 90% majority of those in the establishment,it would never enter my mind to ''ring the bell',but if I am happy with the service,I am a good tipper!If the service is just so-so,I still leave a tip because I know that is the main basis for their income and it is part of my culture!

I once got called a cheap charlie because my tip didn't please the person,I promptly picked it p and left,never to return!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » April 7, 2010, 2:24 pm

The beauty of a tip is that it's completely up to the customer. I have no problem giving nothing, though I rarely do.
If the staff KNOWS there is no tip coming, you will most likely get crappy service.
If ever a wait persons demands a tip (or suggests a larger tip) they get nothing.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » April 7, 2010, 6:51 pm

Tipping isn't part of Thai culture. We've corrupted them with our willingness to give money for nothing. It's kind of like the beggar who's offended if you don't give money.

In 2002 I had wait staff come after me to return the money I forgot on the table. My girlfrient (now wife) was appalled at the idea of leaving a tip, "What for?" At that time she was too polite (the spider getting me into her web) to suggest I give her the money. No such problem, now.

A couple of years ago I ate at one of the upscale Thai restaurants in Udon. Unfortunately, tipping had already become the norm there. The food was lousy and the service was worse. When I paid the bill I told the waiter there would be no tip because of the poor food and service. He didn't see the connection. We had a brief discussion. He had never considered that the tip was predicated upon the quality of the food and service.

I now leave tips in the farang frequented restaurants, not in the places where farangs are seldom seen. I seldom give more than 20 baht. My wife and I play a game by giving the wait person payment in such a manner that they will have to give us 50 baht notes or larger in change. If they aren't smart enough to give us some 20 baht notes, no tip. Over the past few years the wait staff have become smarter about providing smaller notes to facilitate leaving a tip.

It's just another example of us farangs shooting ourselves in the foot.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » April 8, 2010, 1:39 am

UdonExpat wrote:Tipping isn't part of Thai culture. We've corrupted them with our willingness to give money for nothing. It's kind of like the beggar who's offended if you don't give money.
Totally agree with you there UdonExpat =D> =D> =D>

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » April 8, 2010, 4:47 pm

plien wrote:
UdonExpat wrote:Tipping isn't part of Thai culture. We've corrupted them with our willingness to give money for nothing. It's kind of like the beggar who's offended if you don't give money.
Totally agree with you there UdonExpat =D> =D> =D>
Yes, totally true, I remember driving down to BKK and stopping at a petrol station to get filled up, anyway, after the guy had filled the tank replaced the cap and wiped around, he also cleaned the windscreen whilst we were waiting, I tried to give him some baht and he refused it, I asked my wife why?, turns out it is not expected.
Another thing that most of you are probably aware of - if you place a tip on the tray when you check bin that money will go to the establishment, however, if you put the tip in the waitresses hand it will go in her pocket.

OT......... \:D/

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » November 26, 2010, 1:49 am

I have come to a compromise with my T/G. She pays the tab with my money and i dont look :-"
She is also a Cheap Charlie,but as it is my money she will leave a small tip. :roll:

meat

Post by meat » November 26, 2010, 4:47 am

tip? what's that?

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » November 26, 2010, 2:56 pm

Good Point,

I have been back in the UK for 10 weeks In this time i have not given a tip. So why do it when on holliday? If it is part of your culture (USA) then all the best to you.

Bar staff in the UK have always had a wage. Unlike the USA where some bar staff used to work for tips only.

Is this the reason why people from the USA are such good tipper ?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 26, 2010, 5:50 pm

Is this the reason why people from the USA are such good tipper ?

No ....... it's probably because they have more money than sense, and that goes for any nationality that leaves "large" tips

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Post by Welshboy » November 27, 2010, 7:03 pm

We have been having snow in the UK :-s

Yesterday, not wanting to miss a selling opportunity. I loaded my van up with extra products ie. Gloves, hats grit/salt and antifreeze. I MADE A KILLING :D

Well, on the way home. There was a man walking home after work in the snow. He looked cold and realy pissed off.

I stopped. We talk. I sold him a pair of gloves and a hat. He walked on HAPPY. I had mad another SALE.

That was my good deed for the day :D

rayc1965
udonmap.com

Post by rayc1965 » November 27, 2010, 7:27 pm

I do find this humorous. Many farangs complain about Thailand not having the ammenaties as their home country and complain about the facilities not catering enough to their needs, but when a subject of tipping comes up, i.e., giving money for nothing, people say it is not Thai culture and we have spoiled them. What is it exactly everyone wants? I believe, no matter where I am, a service that is provided and excedes my expectations, a little something is in order.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”