Changing details on a Thai birth certificate

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 30, 2010, 11:31 am

We have recently registered the birth of our 5 week old daughter. The process was relatively straight forward, all that was needed was a hospital certificate, partners ID card, copy of my passport, translation of my passport and partners house papers. The application was submitted at the government office in Central Plaza and we collected the certificate at the local government office a few days later.

I'm currently translating all the documents in preparation for her British birth certificate and passport, however I've just noticed they have my nationality wrong. They've written Irish instead of British. The government/translation office translated the last word in the title "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland" and wrote that as my nationality on the birth certificate. They did however translate the nationality part correctly but for some reason ignored that. :? Now I'm faced with the arduous task of rectifying the mistake.

We visited the local Amphur office this morning and they told us it's not possible to change the certificate after it has been issued. The only advice they could offer us is to move our daughter onto someone else's house paper in the city area, change the certificate, and then move her back to her local house paper, and then finally change the registration again. However this isn't exactly straight forward and I envisage various implications doing it that way. Surely the government office should accept my original passport, Thai driving license and work permit as proof of my nationality and be able to rectify the mistake. However they have made it clear that they can not, and will not change it, unless we do as they have said above. They also questioned whether I was actually the Father or not and said anyone can sign that they are the Father in Thailand. :?

Does anyone have any similar experience? Until I rectify this I will not be able to register her birth in the UK.

As a side note; this is not the first time I've had issues like this at government offices. My driving license still shows an incorrect date of birth. I don't know how they got it wrong because they had a copy of my passport and the original driving license with correct D.O.B. so it was clearly a clerical error. They advised me to pay for a new one if I wanted it changed so I refused, why should I have to pay for their error. :evil:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: Changing details on a Thai birth certificate

Post by trubrit » April 30, 2010, 11:47 am

No idea as to the answer to your question, but congratulations to you both on the birth of your daughter . \:D/

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » April 30, 2010, 12:41 pm

Lee, something similar happened to us on the birth of our daughter just three months ago. The Hospital provided us with the the official birth certificate and translation, duly registered at the Provincial Office. But I had been warned to check it carefully and found that they had misspelled my name in the Thai version. Left off one of those squiggly lines above one of the letters, so it didn't match exactly with our Thai marriage certificate and I have been told that they must match exactly. I discovered this a few days later on getting home from the hospital. We just took it back to the hospital and they corrected it and we went back the next day and got a new corrected birth certificate, duly registered and stamped by the Municipality. No problem getting her citizenship papers and passport.

So it is possible for it to be changed. Perhaps the hospital has some weight as they do a lot of them (they had three others when I was there). So if I were you I would attempt to speak with someone in authority. Moving her house registration sounds entirely absurd, and possibly even slightly fraudulent, although I cannot claim to be an expert on house registration procedures, in fact would say I am totally clueless on that score. But the birth certificate seems to be relatively straightforward.

Or perhaps someone more knowledgeable might have some better advice. Another thought, do you think the embassy would even care? Might be worth a phone call to them and explain the situation. Good Luck.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 30, 2010, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the information. Good idea about contacting the embassy for their advice, I may also try another Amphur office for a second opinion.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » April 30, 2010, 2:28 pm

Amazing Thailand.
I'm surprised they didn't suggest you change your nationality to Ireland.
The problem is that someone will lose face if the error is acknowledged and changed.
Their attitude of, "it's your problem now," is incredible. :(

Treeg
udonmap.com

Post by Treeg » April 30, 2010, 5:26 pm

One method, although it will cost you money, is to simply report the birth certificate as lost or destroyed or whatever.

My wife was in a similar situation when she needed her visa for the EU, they need a birth certificate and she simply doesn't have any. In that case you can make a new birth certificate, which requires you to go to the amphur with three Thai witnesses who can vow the particular person was indeed born at such and such on this or that date. Takes about a day work but then you simply get a new birth certificate, or at least a paper which is acceptable as such.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 30, 2010, 5:59 pm

I know you should not have to go through all the rigarole,but TiT!Anyway changing her to another house registration and then back is not fraudulent,it is simply changing her residence.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 4, 2010, 12:22 pm

Yesterday we visited one of the government service centers to ask about changing details on the birth certificate. They advised us changing the details was relatively simple, however asking their boss to sign it again would be very difficult. So what that have done is printed the certificate out again with the correct nationality and copied their bosses signature. :shock:

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » January 30, 2015, 10:41 am

Lee - how did you get on in the end. An old thread I know, but I am trying to do something similar.

My wife is Lao but our child (now 3) was born at Aek Udon and received a Thai birth certificate. Laos does not acknowledge the possibility of its citizens being born elsewhere, so the Lao birth certificate says he was born in Vientiane, and includes a lao middle name, whereas the Thai cert does not.

I am now aiming for him to get an EU passport, but need the name on this to match exactly his name on the Lao passport, which includes the middle name missing from his Thai birth cert.

So first I need to get this middle name inserted into his Thai birth certificate. We have approached Aek Udon hospital, after being encouraged by the experience of JimboLV above, but they just looked blank and said it was nothing to do with them.

Any further advice and sharing of experience will be much appreciated

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » February 27, 2015, 2:14 pm

To follow up for anyone interested in future - Aek Udon were no help, but it was easy to get the name changed at a government office near UD Town. They added the name to the original birth certificate by hand, signed and stamped it. It took half a day. We also got a certified translation into English for 500baht extra.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 27, 2015, 5:18 pm

nabanga wrote:To follow up for anyone interested in future - Aek Udon were no help, but it was easy to get the name changed at a government office near UD Town. They added the name to the original birth certificate by hand, signed and stamped it. It took half a day. We also got a certified translation into English for 500baht extra.
Can you give us the exact location of this government office? Do they also translate other assorted documents into English or just ones that they specifically deal in?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » March 23, 2015, 1:53 pm

My wife went, not me, but she said the office was in the pedestrian open air shopping area right next to UD town food hall area. The translation service will translate any documents, not just docs associated with this office - I think it was just a translation service that the office chooses to use.

nabanga
udonmap.com

Post by nabanga » May 8, 2015, 3:14 pm

Sorry correction - we just went to Udon again to collect the certified translation. The office is PW Translations, Prachoom Wittaya school, 75 Udondusadee Rd, web www.pwtranslations.com
They do all kinds of certified trranslations for good prices.

Return to “Thailand Law”