Thai Driving licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Driving licence

Post by martynsnowman » March 27, 2010, 7:55 am

wokkawombat wrote:Colour blind test, renewing 5 year licence.

Can anybody who has personally had a recent renewal at AEK licence centre tell me if they conduct a colour blind test when renewing a 5 year licence.

Thank you

John
when i renewed AEK in December i had NO colour blind test , for 5 year licence

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » May 3, 2010, 8:34 pm

Can anyone who has renewed a 5 year licence recently (i.e. a second 5 year licence)- tell me what documents are required (I don't have a yellow book) and is it correct you can now renew BEFORE it expires

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 4, 2010, 6:40 am

Paul wrote:Can anyone who has renewed a 5 year licence recently (i.e. a second 5 year licence)- tell me what documents are required (I don't have a yellow book) and is it correct you can now renew BEFORE it expires
Apparently so, that was the information given to my wife while at DTL about 6 weeks ago.
papaguido wrote:Update on license renewal policy. My wife just returned from Dept of Land Trans said that DLT has changed the policy on renewing licenses.

-1yr license, can renew 1 month before expiration date.
-5yr license, can renew 3 months before expiration date.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » May 4, 2010, 8:45 am

I just renewed mine from 1yr to 5yr. Took my passport/visa to Udon Immigration. Filled in a form there which I think certified my address; had my lady with me with her house papers. Get a B50 to B100 medical certificate to add to the residency certificate to take to the licence office. I had my medical certificate and the renewal at the AEK, but 5yr to 5yr may take a trip to the Purple Palace on the Kon Kaen Road. Mine was all done within an hour, partly because offices were not busy.

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » May 4, 2010, 12:47 pm

Got my temporary 1 year license last year and will have to renew in July this year. I have the yellow book. My question is that I am now spending a lot of time outside Thailand and I am planning to come back in July om a 30 day tourist visa. Will that disqualify my from renewing?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 4, 2010, 2:16 pm

lassebasse wrote:Got my temporary 1 year license last year and will have to renew in July this year. I have the yellow book. My question is that I am now spending a lot of time outside Thailand and I am planning to come back in July om a 30 day tourist visa. Will that disqualify my from renewing?

Just to be safe, I'd get a 90 day visa.
The transport office might get funny about you showing a tourist visa.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » January 17, 2011, 3:00 pm

Hi everyone
I came to thai in a hurry and forgot my uk international driving licence.
I rang the DVLA international number in swansea uk and they said they could fax me confirmation that i own a licence at a cost of 5 pounds.

My question is can i drive in thailand if i take a thai driving test.

1 Can i take a Thai driving test?
2 How long would it take for me to get on the road?
I'm married to a thai and have property here in her name and i did bring our marriage certificate with us as we have to renew her thai passport and get my son his first thai passprt.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 12, 2011, 3:59 pm

where do thai people go to get a international drivers licence, so they can driver in another country?

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 22, 2011, 4:08 pm

anybody????

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 22, 2011, 4:37 pm

dill, in all dl offices ( khonsong, where you pay tax car..) in chanwat only , not in local ones , f.e udon thani ... :D

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 23, 2011, 4:12 pm

thanxs for that

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » February 24, 2011, 12:51 pm

Hi,
Macduff,
You can drive on a British D/L. in Thailand for 12 Months. Inquired about this last year at Udon main Lic. center. If you leave LOS in this time and return you will get another 12 months on your British D/L. If you do not leave LOS in 12 months you will need to get a Thai D/L. I got mine the other year, Have a marriage visa and do not have to leave LOS every 90 days like I used to do.
To get a Thai D/L., and you have a full British D/L. you are only required to take a Med. and have your photos taken, they will not accept your photos as the camera they take it with is hooked up to their computor and prints the D/L. out striaght away. Your first lic. will be valid for 12 months. After this time your get a 5 year Thai D/L.. Went trough this the other year. You do not have to take a practical or do the question paper or reaction test. At least i didn't.
Cheers Doug.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 28, 2011, 6:23 pm

Upgraded 1 year to 5* year today at Nong Han - took less than 30 minutes.

- yellow book
- copy of current visa (12 month multi O-A)
- doctors certificate
- TBH605

No colour blindness, theory test or practical test.

1 year license expired 31 March.

* 5 year license expires 29 September 2016 ie 5 years 7 months validity :-k

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 28, 2011, 7:05 pm

:-k Is that your birthday Jack?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 28, 2011, 7:19 pm

No Shado - a couple of months earlier. I had read before that there was some correlation between your birth date and the 5 year expiry date - but in this case they have given me a couple of extra months.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 28, 2011, 7:31 pm

Renewed my license to a 5yr. last March. They only gave me a couple of extra months and it does expire on my birthday in May 4 years from now. Sounds like you got a little bonus. :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Driving licence - for our gardener

Post by parrot » April 5, 2011, 2:57 pm

Our gardener knows how to drive, he's finished M.3 and a military hitch in the Navy. We'd like him to get a driver's license as there may be circumstances in the future where we'd want him to 'chauffeur' for us.
I seem to recall seeing a driver's manual...but don't remember if I saw it perhaps at the office in Noonsoon or in a bookstore. Question #1, can someone point me in the right direction for that book?
Question #2, what exactly is involved in a driver's test these days? I know there's a multiple choice test, eye test.......but what is involved in the driving part? Parallel parking or just straight in/back in?
I've been taking him out in the neighborhood and can focus on certain skills to get him past the test part. The rest will be learning how a falang drives, but I don't think that will be much of a problem......he's a fast learner.
Any first-hand experience with this sort of thing would be appreciated.

stargate
udonmap.com

Thai Driving licence

Post by stargate » April 6, 2011, 11:28 am

the writer of the sanook column in the bkk post wrote how he took the thai driving test and at first i thaught he was taking the p/// out of the thai. the test consists of driving round a mock up of a road while someone watches you.they are not in the car. what got me was at the end of the test you must park the car within two meters of the road side. there was also a greeter 200 meters from the test site who for 500 baht would get you through the test.i suppose things have changed since but looking at driving standards ????

douglas
udonmap.com

Thai Driving licence

Post by douglas » April 6, 2011, 11:55 am

Hi,
Stargate.
It's still like that. Wife took hers, went wrong way round the roundabout and the tester was so busy talking to a lady he did not notice it.
You had to park between some bollards. One Thai lady knocked all the bollards down and parked at 45 degrees to pavement. Guess what she passed. No wonder driving standards are bad. I had a good 2 hrs watching this while wife was taken the written test etc. Wife said one person took the test three times, that day, before she passed.
Parrot. A couple of months ago a driving instructor was offering a 7 day intensive driving course with a pass on your test on the seventh day. On this site. Can't remember all the details or phone number. Other board members might be able to help

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Thai Driving licence

Post by Aardvark » April 6, 2011, 12:44 pm

Return to “Travel & Transport”