Udon Pool League 2010 (Season 6)

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Udon Pool League 2010 (Season 6)

Post by stattointhailand » April 27, 2010, 3:53 pm

For those interested in the Pool League, the new season will start on Tuesday 4th May 2010.
14 teams will contest the league.
The Rules of the league will remain the same as last season, with the only alteration being to the format of the league. Each match will consist of 16 frames this year (one more than last year). The additional frame will be a doubles match, to be played as the first game of the night before the commencement of the singles matches.
Points will be awarded, 2 for a win, 1 for a draw (8-8) and 0 for a defeat.
Prior to the start of each match the two captains will list their 4 singles players on a piece of paper. This will constiute "the matchup's" for the first round of singles matches. For the second and third round of singles matches, the home teams order will REMAIN THE SAME. The Away captain will then choose which of his singles players will play each frame, with the only restriction being that no player can play the same opponent more than once during the evening. This means that every player gets to play three diferent people during the match.
fixtures 2010.JPG
fixtures 2010.JPG (230.32 KiB) Viewed 4286 times

Glyn
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Pool League 2010 (Season 6)

Post by Glyn » April 27, 2010, 8:17 pm

Mmm, what happened to the democratic style of making changes, what happened to a meeting, are we now being ruled and told which way it's going to go. To tell us about changes so close to the start, we can't even contest them, let alone iron out any problems we foresee. You know how heated these events have got in the past, that is why we always, 1. kept it simple, and 2. Ironed out foreseeable problems. There were a few discrepancies in the rules last season and I was looking forward to a meeting to share them, and get other captains ideas on how to adjust the rules.

I can't quite see the necessity to stretch the night into a 16th frame, I know many players feel 15 goes on long enough, american tables are OK, usually done'n'dusted by 10pm, but these snooker style tables, we've had teams as late as 11:30pm at The Retreat so now we'll be knocking on to 12am. What is the purpose of the 16th frame?

Are there new rules for who plays the doubles matches, if this is going ahead a week today, where is the fixtures list?

I may need to pull my team, as I can't have a rowdy crowd in the bar so late, I have guests sleeping, I'll discuss with my staff tonight.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 28, 2010, 11:22 am

Err ..... Glyn, the meeting was held two weeks ago, and one of the members put forward an idea for a change. As is normal with these meetings, nobody could agree 100% with anything, so Tom (Irish Clock) and I were asked by those present (voted on) to go away and sort out a workable version of the idea, that could be used on a "trail basis" for this season and reviewed prior to next season. The above amendment is what seemed to fit with most peoples requirements. The additional "doubles" has been included, as there were 38 matches last year that ended 8-7, and the losing side had got nothing for putting up a really good fight. If say half of them now finish 9 - 7 and the other half 8 - 8, there will at least be about 19 times when the efforts get rewarded with a point. Last season a lot of players only played in the doubles, (there already being 4 players for the singles), and the additional doubles match will mean that they now get a bit more table time (half of 4 matches instead of half of three).
As for matches going on late, I appreciate your concerns, but I do not think that I have played in one match yet in this league that could not have finished 30 mins or more earlier. If the captains make sure that the first frame is underway by 19:30 (earlier if all players are there), and make sure that the table is re-racked as soon as the game is finished, and that the players are ready (not outside having a smoke or going to the loo when the black is potted in the previous frame), I see no reason for any match to not be finished by 22:30. If they are regularly finishing after that, then there must be a problem with some players "speed of play" which needs addressing.
The fixture list is in my origional post, but I'll sent a linier list to you by e-mail.
If you still have any concerns, please feel free to e-mail/pm me, and I'll do what I can to get them sorted.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » April 28, 2010, 8:02 pm

Actually I can see the benefit of the 16 frame now, I will have to have a strict policy that we get under way by 7:30pm if they are any later they'll forfeit (that's always been the rule) in 4 seasons my team has never been later than 7:30 at any venue so there is no excuse.

When did notification go out about the meeting, I haven't had a phone call or an email? Who was responsible for this, or was it decided at the party? Really shouldn't mix business with pleasure.

You gonna be at the quiz night tomorrow JB?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 28, 2010, 8:55 pm

Jan was supposed to have contacted everyone to inform them about the meeting. He is supposed to be the administrator now, all I should be doing is the results and tables. I think may be I need to get all the contact details from him so as to have a back up. Sorry if you didn't know about the meeting, I assumed everyone was informed.
Yes I'll be there tomorrow .... been saving my satang all week so I can afford a beer or two. I'll try to get there early so as we get time for a chat about the pool. Anyone else who wants a chat why not come along to the Quiz night and have a good evening out.

abeertoofar

Post by abeertoofar » April 30, 2010, 1:21 pm

hi glyn,

i'm sorry, but you were the first one who had the invitation of the meeting.
about three weeks ago you was in my bar and i gave you the paper and you
wrote your name on it and gave it back.
john

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » May 1, 2010, 5:10 pm

You ba$tard u hijacked me when i was pi$$ed. I thought I was just signing to say I wished to participate, I didn't know there was info regarding a meeting, as you say I signed it and gave it back to you. It's not to worry, I now see the benefit of the changes. But for everyone to hear this in advance, pool is suppose to start at 7pm and you are given a 30min window for late arrival, therefore the first frame should always be underway by 7:30. In the past I have accepted many bars arriving at 7:40 / 7:50, from now on I will still do this but that first frame will be awarded to us, and we will start on frame 2 (singles) so in order not to lose it you will need to be ready to break by 7:30. Please understand I am not being finicky but some nights the pool has dragged on much longer than I like, given the noise level and that we're just a stones throw from my guests, who may just want an early night.

abeertoofar

Post by abeertoofar » May 2, 2010, 10:43 am

Glyn wrote:You ba$tard u hijacked me when i was pi$$ed. I thought I was just signing to say I wished to participate, I didn't know there was info regarding a meeting, as you say I signed it and gave it back to you. It's not to worry, I now see the benefit of the changes. But for everyone to hear this in advance, pool is suppose to start at 7pm and you are given a 30min window for late arrival, therefore the first frame should always be underway by 7:30. In the past I have accepted many bars arriving at 7:40 / 7:50, from now on I will still do this but that first frame will be awarded to us, and we will start on frame 2 (singles) so in order not to lose it you will need to be ready to break by 7:30. Please understand I am not being finicky but some nights the pool has dragged on much longer than I like, given the noise level and that we're just a stones throw from my guests, who may just want an early night.
no,no you're right glyn, teams must be there between 7:00 and 7:15 so the first double can be played
before 7:30 so everything stays the same and you can have an early night.
i hope everybody uderstand this and will be on time.
john

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 2, 2010, 10:50 am

That's perfectly correct Glyn, The first frame should ALWAYS be started by 19:30 (earlier if everyone's there).
It's not that diffcult really, provided TWO of the oposition are there bt 19:30 the first doubles can start, and then the first two singles can be played. If nobody is there by 19:30, the first frame is conceeded, by 19:40 the second frame is conceeded, by 19:50 the third frame in conceeded. Therefore if a team doesn't arrive until 20:00 you start the FOURTH frame with the score 3 - 0. It's the only FAIR way to do it, as not only your customers, but many of the players that need to be home by midnight !!
If the final frame doesn't finish until midnight, it's ten past before the Check bins are sorted and then for some it's a 30 min journey home, meaning an arrival of twenty to one in the morning which isn't fair to those who have to get up early the next day for work.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » May 2, 2010, 10:54 pm

I doubt it's work that forces them home by midnight, normally the other 'alf with a carving knife, or is it they turn into right-ugly b@stards at the stroke of mid-night, whoops that can't be right most of you are phukin ugly anyway (lol)

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » May 3, 2010, 3:47 pm

Glyn wrote:I doubt it's work that forces them home by midnight, normally the other 'alf with a carving knife
I must admit, my wife can be a bit of a handful at times when I roll through the door at 5 or 6am p!ssed as a f@rt and covered in lipstick and her car is missing in a ditch somewhere or other.

OT......... \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 7, 2010, 2:15 pm

Week 1 results highlighted and Week 2 fixtures in the red boxes.
4 results were received on Tueday night, two others by the deadline (Thurs midday) and one was late. It should be noted that ANY result not received by midday on the Thurs after the game will in future be awarded as 0 - 0 with NO POINTS FOR EITHER TEAM..
season 6 wk1.JPG
season 6 wk1.JPG (231.35 KiB) Viewed 3969 times

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » May 8, 2010, 10:39 pm

Statto, just want to say you are doing a great job.
Not only for the ones who play in the league at the moment, but also for us who can`t be there but are still interested.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 13, 2010, 3:23 pm

Well week two is "dun n dusted", and we've had our first drawn match Beer too far drawing at home to Liberty. Unfortunatly we've also had our first "NO SHOW" of the season .........c'mon guys and gals, if anyone fancies a game on a Tuesday night, there are a couple of teams who have "lost" players from last season and are on the lookout for new blood. It's a "FUN" league, and gives you a chance to visit a few of the bars that you wouldn't during your normal evening out.
Week 2.JPG
Week 2.JPG (233.92 KiB) Viewed 3881 times

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 21, 2010, 8:28 pm

Week 3 was NOT a good week for the Udon Pool League. Due to the troubles in Thailand and bar owners having to organise the early closure due to the Curfew I allowed an extra 24 hrs for the results to be sent. I have still not received anything from Jingjoes v Kineree, so that match has been recorded as 0 - 0 with no points awarded.
There were also 2 "no shows" this week resulting in 9 - 0 walkovers. One I understand was a very late medical emergency, and hopefully it was a "one off", but the other was caused through a lack of players. If there's anyone out there who fancies a game (even if you can't make every Tuesday), can you either let me know, or Jan at A Beer too far, and we will try and get you into a team.

This weeks results/next weeks fixtures:-
week 3.JPG
week 3.JPG (232.99 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 25, 2010, 11:11 am

Just a quick reminder about tonights matches.
can EVERYONE please make an extra effort to be on time. If matches are all started by 19:30 (earlier if possible), there should be no "Curfew" probs at the end of the night.
Have a "FUN" evening everyone, and lift a little bit of the "Doom & Gloom" for an hour or two.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » May 25, 2010, 12:02 pm

Yes esp. at The Retreat, cut it real fine last match, kicked of 7:20 finished 11:45, and not one tuck-up match involved, just a load of beer restricting our vision, Jing-joes players more so than ours hence the 13-3 score. :D

For some enticement, we'll have a spread out by 7pm, as we're throwing a leaving bash at the same time for one of our longer term residence.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 27, 2010, 9:19 am

Good and bad news this week guys n girls. Firstly hanks to all for getting the matches played on time (I've not heard of anyone having any Curfew probs!!). All results were in by Wed afternoon ..... well done =D> =D>
The bad news is that we have now officially lost our first team of the season. Ela has descided to leave Thailand, and shut Lalitas Bar. I'm sure we all wish her good luck in the future.
I have adjusted the league table to remove Lalitas Bar from the league, and for this week only will show their fixtures to enable team captains to see when they will have a "free week". From next week Lalitas will be removed from both the fixtures/results table and the league table.
week 4.JPG
week 4.JPG (233.63 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 29, 2010, 3:13 pm

OK guys, having overcome the closing of bars, the World Cup (was it worth it !!), and Bhudist Lent, we are NOW ready to get season 6 (2010) restarted.
Matches are schedulled to start NEXT TUESDAY 3rd AUGUST
All players/Captains should note that there is a NEW fixture list which hopefully will appear under this message.
00102Poolfixtures.JPG
00102Poolfixtures.JPG (154.14 KiB) Viewed 2477 times

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 29, 2010, 3:17 pm

Nice one Statto. Saves me aving a word tonight.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”