ulrtasonic gecko repeller

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
chrisoary
udonmap.com

ulrtasonic gecko repeller

Post by chrisoary » June 15, 2010, 12:45 pm

Does anybody know if these are available in udon? and if so whereabouts?
Also does anybody have experience with them ie do they actually work?

Thanks in advance

Chris

tutone
udonmap.com

Re: ulrtasonic gecko repeller

Post by tutone » June 15, 2010, 4:15 pm

chrisoary wrote:Does anybody know if these are available in udon? and if so whereabouts?
Also does anybody have experience with them ie do they actually work?

Thanks in advance

Chris
I seem to remember reading a study that these gadgets could not be scientifically proven to repel or drive away pests. There used to be a lot of advertising for these things in the U.S. Personally I think they are a scam. Anyway geckos are a good thing. Can you imagine how many insects they eat? What would you rather have- one hundred geckos or one thousand cock roaches?

chrisoary
udonmap.com

Post by chrisoary » June 15, 2010, 11:32 pm

you have got a fair point, i have just got fed up with the little buggers sh*tting on my window frames when they realise they cant make it any further into the house because of the mozzie screens!

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » June 16, 2010, 3:03 am

When I lived in San Diego, we had a mouse that would come into the kitchen at night. My wife decided to get one of those ultrasonic repellent gizmos to scare it off. I get up early one morning, go out and turn the light on in the kitchen. The mouse is on the counter, runs over jumps over the gizmo and out a hole in the window screen.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » June 16, 2010, 1:54 pm

I'd rather have bugs on my screen windows than piles of gecko crap everywhere.

I've killed about a dozen of those big noisy bastards this year alone. I usually beat them to a leathery pulp with a broom handle.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 17, 2010, 2:08 am

Thanks for the suggestion of a broom handle. I was always too timed (all life is sacred), but playing Gecko hockey with the soft end of a broom to whisk them out of the house just does not do it!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 17, 2010, 8:24 am

We have a couple of feral cats roaming around the garden . They do a very good job of controlling them , and its fun to watch .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 17, 2010, 7:55 pm

If you like fishing, you can make a simple hangman's noose on the end of a 6ft-ish bamboo pole with some nylon string. Slide the noose under the neck of the dookae and pull. Pull hard, because the dookae has a gazillion suction cups on its feet. After you pull it off the wall, it's up to you what to do with it.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 17, 2010, 8:40 pm

Yes you can buy them at Global, Home pro and other suitable outlets, however one has to weigh up the odds.
10 or more small house geckos eat a lot of bugs large and small.
Tuktares however live out side and do the same job. You can buy a mossy rep[ellent that plugs into your power and stays on all the time which seems to work, geckos however are to my mind friends, yes you get some poo, however rather that than half the bugs they consume.
The tuktares do also keep away the smaller rats as they eat them too. My six dogs keep other larger predators away or scared I am not sure which. In the last 3 years we have had 3 snakes ( one rather large ) all held at bay by the dogs until I despatched them in summary manner. two large rats again killed by the dogs ( Afghan damm fast ).
And numerous other nasties which seem to bugger off very quickly once the dogs have the scent.
I have a two mossy killers which seem to work but you really cannot tell.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 17, 2010, 9:21 pm

Last time I splattered a tooookey I had to re-decorate the side of the house, so I leave them alone now. True.

OT...... \:D/

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » June 17, 2010, 9:45 pm

A few years ago I bought a BB gun at Tha Sadet in Nong Khai. I killed a few small ones over a period of about six months until one day I saw the mother of all tookays in my carport. It was about 10 feet high and glued to the wall head-down.

I fired at it and hit it in the head. It didn't move, but I could see where the small plastic pellet went into his head near his eyes. I fired off three or four more shots into its head at near point blank range, and he sill didn't fall. Tough bugger.

Sadly my BB gun is kaput (cheap Chinese crap), so now I just use the broom handle. I might experiment with a fishing hook and some live bait. Could be fun.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 17, 2010, 9:56 pm

Texpat wrote: until one day I saw the mother of all tookays. It was about 10 feet high.
:-k

OT........... \:D/

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » June 17, 2010, 10:04 pm

old-timer wrote:
Texpat wrote: until one day I saw the mother of all tookays. It was about 10 feet high.
Texspack have you been drinking again? :^o :shock: [-X :-&

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » June 17, 2010, 10:32 pm

Ten feet high -- on the carport wall.

I'd guess its thickness was no more than two or three feet. 8-[

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 17, 2010, 10:35 pm

Texpat wrote:Ten feet high -- on the carport wall.
Got it the first time...just playing.

OT.......... \:D/

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » June 17, 2010, 11:06 pm

As I understand, thais think that geckos are chook dee for the house. Also hearing a gecko croak seven times is lucky for the ones who hear it. Start couting :D
Personally, I don`t understand anyone who wants to kill these animals. They are harmless.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2010, 7:24 am

I think we are all getting confused here . The title refers to a gecko
Picture 667 Gecko.jpg
These are the creatures that make the fck U sound . They are far from harmless and can give you a nasty bite if you get near them. The Thais do consider them lucky though. They can grow to nearly a foot long .
The one we see commonly on the walls of the house are known locally as jingjoks, these are much smaller, and are harmless but messy creatures .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2010, 7:33 am

My gardener has just looked over my shoulder at the above photo and said "aroi" so I guess they can eat them too !
He's now explaining they are an aphrodisiac .

fussychunk
udonmap.com

Post by fussychunk » June 18, 2010, 8:19 am

A cheaper and fun option is to get some thick elastic bands, not the thin ones they use to tie the noodle bags up, and take shots at them. Hours of fun knocking them off the wall and ceiling.

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » June 18, 2010, 9:28 am

The animal that makes the '' TOK-TOK-TOKEEEH'' sound is known as a (TOKAY) trubrit i dont think the creature in your picture is a (TOKAY) it looks more like some dessert dwelling gecko hence the big thick tail http://www.factzoo.com/reptiles/lizards ... gecko.html

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”