Books

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
old-timer
udonmap.com

Books

Post by old-timer » June 28, 2010, 7:43 pm

OT's almost done with reading a book by John Burdett called "Bangkok Eight". I was a bit skeptical about bothering to read the book at first thinking it was going to be the same old same, however it's turned out to be a really good read.
When I nipped to the last four pages halfway through the book, as I usually do to see what happens at the end, I noticed there is a follow on book called "Bangkok Tattoo", featuring Sonchai, the Thai detective who's mother was a prostitute for falangs.

OT........... \:D/

BTW, I picked this book up at the book house coffee shop.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Books

Post by jackspratt » June 28, 2010, 8:29 pm

Most reassuring for all of us that you are still capable of picking something up O/T :D

BTW, are they all inanimate objects? :-k

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » June 28, 2010, 8:38 pm

A good little read. A series of 4 so far.

fried rice

Post by fried rice » June 28, 2010, 8:45 pm

FR thinks OT should read Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival. A very good read. Make sure to have a big glass of water around while reading.
If OT is a fast reader FR would also like to suggest :pirate: The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd. It is a very interesting book and does have mention of Siam a few times throughout the book.

:D

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 28, 2010, 8:54 pm

fried rice wrote: FR would also like to suggest :pirate: The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd.
I just checked the rules of this forum and it clearly says " posters must be over the age of 14"

OT......... \:D/

fried rice

Post by fried rice » June 28, 2010, 9:36 pm

Oh whatever Fossil Fart, read the book. It will also teach you how Wall Street in Manhattan got its name a long long time ago. Or maybe you were there?

:D

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 28, 2010, 10:01 pm

Calm down FR, OT's playing. Moving on - James Patterson and the Alex Cross detective novels are well worth a read if you don't mind, on average, one hundred and twenty six chapters.

OT...... \:D/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 30, 2010, 7:38 pm

Yes, the Burdett books are highly entertaining, amusing and informative. His latest offering is, The Godfather of Kathmandu, about an exiled Tibetan lama who has heroin for sale in Thailand.

You might want to read this one before settling in with Captain Kidd's real honest-to-God life story.

markdamaroyd
udonmap.com

Post by markdamaroyd » July 18, 2010, 9:38 am

old-timer wrote:OT's almost done with reading a book by John Burdett called "Bangkok Eight". I was a bit skeptical about bothering to read the book at first thinking it was going to be the same old same, however it's turned out to be a really good read.
When I nipped to the last four pages halfway through the book, as I usually do to see what happens at the end, I noticed there is a follow on book called "Bangkok Tattoo", featuring Sonchai, the Thai detective who's mother was a prostitute for falangs.

OT........... \:D/

BTW, I picked this book up at the book house coffee shop.
I like the sound of this one. Don't find many books to pick up in Sakon Nakhon. So many good books set in Thailand. I mustn't advertise in the forum, so will just say, hope my new novel does well when it comes out next month.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 18, 2010, 4:07 pm

markdamaroyd wrote: So many good books set in Thailand. I mustn't advertise in the forum, so will just say, hope my new novel does well when it comes out next month.
Go ahead and tell us about your new novel, I don't think it's advertising, it's just telling other members of this forum about something they may find interesting.

OT.......... \:D/

markdamaroyd
udonmap.com

Post by markdamaroyd » July 21, 2010, 4:02 pm

old-timer wrote:
markdamaroyd wrote: So many good books set in Thailand. I mustn't advertise in the forum, so will just say, hope my new novel does well when it comes out next month.
Go ahead and tell us about your new novel, I don't think it's advertising, it's just telling other members of this forum about something they may find interesting.

Well, OK. A little later when it comes out.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 29, 2010, 4:33 pm

OT's just finished an autobiography. It's called "Mr Nice" and it's about Howard Marks.
This book will make you laugh and as the book headlines "You'll like him". It's told with humor, charm and candour and is an extraordinary story.

OT............ \:D/

BTW - this was another book OT picked up at the Bookshop and Coffee House. \:D/

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » July 30, 2010, 4:16 pm

Yes, Mr Nice is a great book. Howard Marks lets us tag along on his dope smuggling mission. From England to Pakistan, Thailand, Ireland, Spain and America. One of those book you cant put down.
It`s 3-4 years since I read it, but now I feel like reading it again

markdamaroyd
udonmap.com

Post by markdamaroyd » August 11, 2010, 1:11 pm

old-timer wrote:

For those interested, my new novel, Pursuit to Paradise, is out now. More info and link to the book - visit my profile and click on my website. Many thanks. Enjoy the rest of the day.

markdamaroyd
udonmap.com

Post by markdamaroyd » August 29, 2010, 9:38 am

Just posted another bit of info in Open forum

gazumo

Post by gazumo » September 19, 2010, 6:41 pm

any one that uses the internrt try going to website www,piratebay.org...you can download ebooks of there for free.....rather thanpaying 300 baht a book...u meed a computer of course....

Eazy-Going
udonmap.com

Post by Eazy-Going » September 20, 2010, 12:13 am

but not too comfy, or safe come to that, sitting with a PC on your lap in the loo though or taking it to bed is it? Even if you do have a laptop ;)

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » January 9, 2011, 1:10 pm

OT's gotta say that Jonathan Kellerman and his Alex Delaware novels are a great read. OT being English finds the American author intriguing with his way with words. It took me at least one novel to understand the dialect he uses. It's probably the same for Americans to understand me half the time.
I just picked up Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman so that's the next read. I'll be talking American soon.

OT............. \:D/

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”