Voltaren

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Voltaren

Post by jackspratt » September 14, 2010, 8:34 am

Study links Voltaren to strokes

There are calls today for one of Australia's top-selling painkillers to be banned, after another study linked it to an increased chance of stroke in healthy people.

Commonly sold as Voltaren, diclofenac is available in a number of brands and is as dangerous as the arthritis drug Vioxx, according to the author of the study.

Danish research identified Voltaren, a popular anti-inflammatory analgesic, as one of a class of drugs which increase the risk of stroke.

The eight-year Gentofte University Hospital study examined data from more than 2.5 million Danes who had a prescription for non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

It found diclofenac increased the risk of stroke by 86 per cent in people not previously thought to be at risk.........

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ion=justin
Be careful out there.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Voltaren

Post by parrot » September 14, 2010, 10:16 am

How untimely! I recently bought some difelene 1% gel for my wife's ankles/knees. It contains diclofenac.....which I understood was similar to ibuprofen in pain relief. Supposedly a popular cream in Europe and many Americans have been calling for it's approval by the FDA. It seems to work for my wife....now we'll have to do more reading up on the implications.

stanoly

Post by stanoly » September 14, 2010, 11:15 am

Thanks for this. I have used it mostly in gel form. It is recommended in Germany and can be bought over the counter in Germany and in Thailand.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » September 14, 2010, 11:47 am

take care if you take ibuprofen, this medicin give gastric ulcer - if you take it, you need to take medicin against this to protect

they told me after I got it, oh sorry, the gastric ulcer is raise a lot since ibuprofen come on the market

this gave me 10+ year stomach problem

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 14, 2010, 11:53 am

Thanks Jack, that's one i'm supposed to take couple times a day, though that and another i take few times a year, or i would be walking around like a zombie, plus, i like my liver 8)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 14, 2010, 6:14 pm

One thing that always pops up with Voltaren etc ( NSAID's )

How many people comply with the instructions, always take after a meal and NOT on an empty stomach....thus the gastritis

Gastric ulcers are created by bacteria ( helibactor )

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » September 15, 2010, 7:27 am

Aahh......the wonders of chemical medicine.

Take this for what ails you.

Take this and this to treat the side effects of the first drug.

And, take this, that, an other to counter the side effects of the other drugs.

And so on and so on...... :confused:

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » September 15, 2010, 8:41 am

Some day there will be a study that drinking Coke (replace with your favorite drink) causes whatever desease. Seriously, I couldn't care less. Voltaren is popular around the world because it works, and not because the people die from it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 15, 2010, 7:24 pm

Hope you're not taking Thalidomide for morning sickness!

Mudshark
udonmap.com

Post by Mudshark » September 15, 2010, 9:58 pm

Techland - have u ever tried Celebrex? Only NSAID that wasn't pulled from the market in Canada when the axe fell on Voltaren. I still use it occasionally for back pain from sports. No heart attack yet and Western doctors (well Canadian) will still prescribe. Graham

Return to “Health & Beauty”