Retirement Visa.

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Retirement Visa.

Post by RLTrader » September 16, 2010, 9:30 pm

As an aside, my understanding is that on the 90 day reporting (for either marriage or retired) you are quite within the rules to give a completely new address. If you do, are they now wanting to have a new map if you do?
I think it depends on who you get. I will post back next week. Was there last week for 90 day report, took 10 mins. no line, had my form already filled and signed. Why so long, he kinda of got lost in the pages of my passport, then he slapped the side of his head, and said Oh!

Before they would only give me to date of renewal, this time he gave me 90 days. Told him I would see him in a couple of weeks for renewal. Hope to get the same person.

As an aside, I always give them a copy of yellow book.

(As an aside, my map will never be a straight line, udon to udon, think I will be there for 2 hours)

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » September 17, 2010, 7:12 am

I did my retirement extension a couple of weeks ago and wasn't asked for a map. I did, however, have a yellow book. If it's an actual new requirement then it's either very recent or a yellow book will also met the requirements.

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » September 17, 2010, 8:46 am

With my last 4 retirement extensions, I have never been asked for a map to my home. However, I would have responded exaclty the same way that Parrot did - politely asking if it was necessary and then drawing it out for them when told "yes". It's no big deal.

But I'm pretty sure this was a situation where a new immigration official doesn't understand very well the various requirements. I base this on the fact that she asked for a map and also becasue she did not tell Parrot that she did not need the 90 day report. Applying for the extension serves the same purpose as the 90 day notification and there is no need to provide the 90 day report at that time. Your 90 day requirement is reset when your extension is approved.
As a side note, leaving the country and then returning also resets the 90 day requirement.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 17, 2010, 9:17 am

I had my yellow book, so the lady probably just had her info mixed up.
I'm always prepared to do a table dance, if that's what they ask for, when I go to immigration. Maybe that's a subject for a separate debate ...... when we're under the knife with government officials for something we really need (driver's license, visa, yellow book, etc), do we grovel or challenge when asked for something that's maybe not necessary? Most of us have seen what immigration people can do to people who fly off the handle or challenge their authority.......separate debate!

Our 90 day was due in early Sept. When we renewed, it was stamped until our visa renewal date only (43 days). That's always been the case for us. So when we renewed our visa, we restarted the 90 day cycle...although we'll again be out of sync with our visa due date once we reenter the country. For what it's worth, in the not so old days, immigration didn't do us a favor by resyncing 90day with visa renewals. That only started 7 or 8 years ago.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » September 17, 2010, 1:27 pm

bamakmak wrote:With my last 4 retirement extensions, I have never been asked for a map to my home. However, I would have responded exaclty the same way that Parrot did - politely asking if it was necessary and then drawing it out for them when told "yes". It's no big deal.

But I'm pretty sure this was a situation where a new immigration official doesn't understand very well the various requirements. I base this on the fact that she asked for a map and also becasue she did not tell Parrot that she did not need the 90 day report. Applying for the extension serves the same purpose as the 90 day notification and there is no need to provide the 90 day report at that time. Your 90 day requirement is reset when your extension is approved.
As a side note, leaving the country and then returning also resets the 90 day requirement.
The above information is incorrect. The 90 day report does not have anything to do with application for extension. It may be done at the same time if you do the extension within the 14 day window of the 90 day report but they are separate issues.

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » September 17, 2010, 2:12 pm

I stand by my earlier post. I've had it confirmed by Mr. Happy in Nong Khai. And, when going to Udon Thani, my 90 day reporting date was 23 July. I renewed my extension WITHOUT completing a 90 day report. The immigration officer stapled the paper reminder note in my passport that I need to report 11 October for my next 90 day.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » September 17, 2010, 2:42 pm

bamakmak wrote:I stand by my earlier post. I've had it confirmed by Mr. Happy in Nong Khai. And, when going to Udon Thani, my 90 day reporting date was 23 July. I renewed my extension WITHOUT completing a 90 day report. The immigration officer stapled the paper reminder note in my passport that I need to report 11 October for my next 90 day.
It is still not correct. Next time you may deal with a different officer who follows the rules.

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » September 17, 2010, 2:52 pm

I've relayed my first hand experiences dealing with multiple immigration officers, providing specific names, dates and circumstances, all supporting what I've said. As near as I can tell, all you've provided is an unsupported opinion.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 17, 2010, 2:59 pm

Have to agree with Parrot/Bamakmak that the two ARE linked. The last 90 day report every year is always dated to coincide with the next Visa extension ....... 4 years ago my report date was 5 months after the previous one, this year it was 84 days.
Whether it is correct or not is not up for discussion, if the police or Immigration descide to do it a certain way (that may or may not be the way it has been written down) then THAT IS WHAT IS CORRECT.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » September 17, 2010, 3:03 pm

I did my yearly extension this month and had to come back a week later to do the 90 day report. In Udon.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 17, 2010, 3:08 pm

Having read so many experiences with different classes of Visa etc , renewals, extensions etc I have 1 comment

If the person obtains the visa, renewal, extension, and stamps in their passport, then they did it the correct way - as the desired outcome was achieved.

It so obvious that intrepretation of the immigration staff is the only common theme here.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 17, 2010, 7:31 pm

I'm with wazza.......mission accomplished.......and in a timely manner, as far as I'm concerned.
I read the visa forums to keep up with the latest in changes/interpretations, but I always go into the process expecting something to be out of whack. 14 years, 14 renewals, never what I would consider a major problem. Never paid a penny extra, although we did buy a bar of soap from the saleslady who used to work at Nongkai. We declined her next offer to sell us watches.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 22, 2010, 2:05 pm

RLTrader wrote:A map? From where to where? I guess I will have some fun next week. Also with no line One Hour seems to me a long time. With lines and waiting, has never taken me over One hour.
Went today, took about 35 mins. No line, 10 of that had to do with the Map. Yes, they wanted a map, from their office/airport to your home. She flipped over one of the copies she didn't need and gave me a pen, and
she: "draw map",
I: from where,
she: from here to your house

So I started to draw lines and when I was about done

she: No
I: whats wrong
she: need neat, like this (shows me someone else's)
I: Oh, don't have ruler
she: points to one near my left elbow
I: Oh

After a while she gave up, and took my first map and turn my single lines into double lines and fixed with whiteout.

So, you just might want to use google map, before you go.
and #2, don't think you will save time by signing your copies before hand. They have a new stamp, and you will need to sign again.

All and all was not to bad.

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » September 22, 2010, 3:01 pm

RL - did you get a retirement extension or a marriage extension?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 22, 2010, 4:22 pm

retirement extension per the subject title.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 22, 2010, 4:59 pm

RLT- did you try to show her a yellow book in lieu of a map?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 22, 2010, 7:13 pm

I did my retirement visa on 16 Sept. She asked for a map. I said 'retirement visa'. She said 'map'. I showed her yellow book. She said 'map'. I gave her a map. Lucky she didn't ask me to do a table dance.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 22, 2010, 8:25 pm

polehawk wrote:RLT- did you try to show her a yellow book in lieu of a map?
I always include a copy of yellow book, plus copy of wife's blue book. When she wanted to write down the name of my soi, I told her it should be on the yellow book copy, she said it wasn't, don't know what she did, told her it sounds from my address its Moo 1 and that I must be the 4th house. Her, no comment.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 22, 2010, 8:27 pm

parrot wrote:I did my retirement visa on 16 Sept. She asked for a map. I said 'retirement visa'. She said 'map'. I showed her yellow book. She said 'map'. I gave her a map. Lucky she didn't ask me to do a table dance.
:-)

or a lap dance.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 22, 2010, 11:06 pm

Did my extension 2 months ago and all I needed to show was the income affidavit, yellow/blue books, couple of photos and it was wham, bam, thank you ma'am. She did keep my 100 baht change somehow. I felt used. 8-[

Right then. Guess I'd better brush up on my dancing skills and learn to draw. Crayons OK? :lol:

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”