Coffee pots

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
rjb
udonmap.com

Coffee pots

Post by rjb » October 30, 2010, 1:15 pm

About a year ago we purchased a spiffy looking coffee pot, a Cuzinmate, at Robinson's tho purchase location isn't the object of the thread. The pot is for sale at other locations and Robinson's have done their part in sending it for repair. The clock/timer failed after a few months so we returned it under warranty and were told it would be sent to BKK for repair and returned in 2 weeks (it took 3 months). Liking the pot we purchased a second for a backup. When the first pot was returned we stored the second one for later use as needed. Well, the first pot clock/timer failed again last week, a couple months before the warranty runs out. Took it back to Robinson's and was told a repeat of the first incident. Okay, next day we plug in the backup pot and the clock/timer failed on it, this pot has been used less than 3 months actual but it is approaching end of warranty in Jan. Yesterday I purchased an Electrolux, now my third pot, and hope it had better quality control than the Cuzinmates. If you are considering a coffee pot, you might want to avoid the Cuzinmate.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: Coffee pots

Post by kopkei » October 30, 2010, 3:37 pm

the coffeepots in thailand are all of very low quality, as i drink a lot coffee every day , i all ready bought many different and they all break down to early,( btw my latest was electrolux) as of a coffee machine with clock and timer is for me one of these idiot inventions..., sorry, so my advice is buy a normal inexpensive coffee machine, and if the the coffee must be timed , buy an analog timer to put between , and buy a clock to put on the wall of the kitchen, you can still use your cuzinmate, problem solved...... , enjoy your coffee.....

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 30, 2010, 4:16 pm

Might be worth you looking at a "Moka" coffee maker.
Cannot really go wrong & make a great cup of coffee using decent beans.
I must admit that I can't recall see one for sale in Udon, but I have used them in the past with success.
Moka.jpg
Moka.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
In 1933, Alfonso Bialleti introduced his moka pot to the world in the form of the Moka Express. The moka pot consists of three parts: a boiler, a filter and a collecting chamber for the coffee. The pot is popular not only for its low price compared to automated espresso machines, but also for producing a rich brew of coffee akin to espresso. Using a moka pot properly helps to ensure that each brewing experience yields the maximum amount of coffee and that the coffee is bold in flavor.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 30, 2010, 5:26 pm

BobHelm wrote:Might be worth you looking at a "Moka" coffee maker.
I must admit that I can't recall see one for sale in Udon, but I have used them in the past with success.
Moka.jpg
In 1933, Alfonso Bialleti introduced his moka pot to the world in the form of the Moka Express. The moka pot consists of three parts: a boiler, a filter and a collecting chamber for the coffee. The pot is popular not only for its low price compared to automated espresso machines, but also for producing a rich brew of coffee akin to espresso. Using a moka pot properly helps to ensure that each brewing experience yields the maximum amount of coffee and that the coffee is bold in flavor.
Seen them at Robinsons.

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » October 30, 2010, 5:39 pm

Just a comment ref the clock/timer. I should have been more clear, the pot wouldn't come on without the clock working. Yes, a clock and timer are a personal preference. I used one in the states, a Braun and was pleased to wake up to hot coffee. I have never used the Moka thing and it isn't my choice. I do have a couple press makers and have used them on trips in the hotel but again, I prefer a regular coffee pot, clock or not, as long as it works. We have several appliances purchased locally and the coffee pots are the first to have been less than satisfcatory. I have tried some of the cheaper brands but they didn't work any better. One was a copy of a Braun and it was still working when I tossed it but the plastic was breaking off around the filter compartment. Maybe this latest one will be the magical one.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 30, 2010, 6:20 pm

papaguido wrote:Seen them at Robinsons.
Thanks for that Papa, I will have a look!!! :D :D

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 30, 2010, 7:29 pm

well rjb, as i (almost) always fix everything myself, you can open the coffee maker and easy bypass the clock and make it work again... only change a few connections....so it's not lost.....

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » October 30, 2010, 8:17 pm

Thanks for that suggestion. Both are in BKK or going or coming back. If it happens again after warranty I'll look into your suggestion or have my sister in law who took a class in small appliance repair look at them.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » October 31, 2010, 1:12 pm

Spent a lot of time driving around town when we arrived four years ago looking for a stove top coffee percolator but never found one. Makes better tasting and smelling coffee than the electric drip types IMO and very cheap to buy in the US. Anyone seen one like this in their travels here?
stove top coffee percolator 2.jpg
stove top coffee percolator 2.jpg (2.34 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
Ideal for Thailand during electric blackouts or can be used while camping.
Don't you miss the sound and smell of that old stove top coffee percolator?

I don't know about you, but I have very fond memories of my parents and I sitting around the kitchen having a hot cup of coffee in the mornings. In fact, often we'd be sitting around in the evenings having a hot cup of coffee.

This is a pattern that played out with my parents and my grandparents. Thinking back, I can recall so many times that me, my parents, and my aunts and uncles would sit around the kitchen at my grandmother's house drinking coffee.

One of the things that I remember best about those times is the sound and the smell of the percolator making a fresh pot of coffee. Back then, my grandmother used a stove top coffee percolator. As I remember it, that is some of the best coffee I ever drank in my life. In fact, I still prefer coffee that is brewed in the percolator.

You see, I get somewhat irritated if I don't get my coffee in the mornings. I really need that jolt of caffeine to get me going. One of the worst things that could happen, if you happen to use a drip coffee maker, is for the power to go out. Basically, no power means no coffee.

What's the best way to get around this issue? Well perhaps you should consider purchasing a stove top coffee percolator. If you have a gas stove, or a gas grill, you can always manage to brew a pot of coffee even if the power is out.

Of course, if you go camping, you would also be able to take your stove top percolator along and use it while you're out camping.

Just imagine, you're sitting around the kitchen table listening to the percolator do its duty and enjoying the aroma of a fresh pot of hot coffee. The power is out, and the house is quiet, except for the conversation going on around the kitchen table and the sound of the percolator hard at work.

The sound of the percolator is somewhat reassuring, because you know that you'll soon be enjoying a nice fresh cup of coffee. You're feeling so grateful that you have that stove top coffee percolator because otherwise you would not be enjoying a cup of coffee very soon.

Right about now, you have to be thinking that you sure are glad you had the percolator on hand because your drip coffee maker is totally useless right now. Suddenly that stove top coffee percolator is like an old friend there to comfort you.

Of course, if you're like me, you just enjoy the taste of coffee that is made in the percolator. I would much rather have coffee from a percolator than coffee from a French press or a drip coffee maker of any type.

Admittedly, most of the time I use an automatic, electric percolator for my coffee. However, I always have my stove top coffee percolator as a backup just in case. After all, you never know what mother nature or the power company will bring.
http://www.percolatorcoffeepot.net/stov ... ercolator/

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » October 31, 2010, 4:55 pm

Yes, they sell them at Robinsons, at least the type from the picture that BobHelm posted. They even have a electric one.

Think they have them from Bialetti. http://www.bialetti.com/

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 21, 2010, 11:42 am

well , coffee makers in thailand, very poor quality indeed, my latest coffee machine a fagor bought next to tops robinson has stopped working after only 3 months... , my former electrolux bought in power buy big c need 40 min to make coffee, and before this one i bought a cheap mamaru also in power buy, break down also , as 2 of them still in warranty i will bring them back, see what happens ....., does any one know if a senseo coffeemaker is available in thailand and of course
the senseo coffee packs.... probably not....

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 21, 2010, 11:56 am

kopkei; perhaps you have already checked this out, but if not, you might drop by Udon Delise and talk to Alain about purchasing a quality coffee pot. Coffee is what he does and he is quite helpful very knowledgeable on the subject.

Udon Delice is a UM sponsor.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/u ... 18685.html

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 25, 2010, 8:56 am

thanks shado. i all ready saw the shop, but didn't stop yet...
small update on the repair of 2 coffeemakers, in power buy, coffeemaker send to bangkok, time to fix about 1 month
( thai time?), second one i have been using exactly 2 months , to my surprise they changed it buy a new one , so i must say a rare occasion of good after sale service, ( in thailand very rare ,after sale service as they mostly only want to sell , what happens after you have payed ,they don't care...)so for me this shop is a recommendation.....

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 25, 2010, 9:07 am

Good to hear you are getting some satisfaction regarding the coffee pots. Stopping by Udon Delise will certainly be worth your time. Alain roasts and grinds the fresh coffee beans at the shop and he will ask you what kind of coffer maker you have, and if you like, he will grind your coffee precisely for that particular type of maker.

He has lots of other goodies on the shelves as well such as great cheese, jams, wines, pickled vegetables etc. It's fun just to have a look around to see what's available.

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » November 25, 2010, 9:15 am

In the UK I use a cafetiere and find it makes very good coffee (I would upload an image but don't know how) :oops: are these for sale in Udon? or shall I bring one from UK where they are relatively inexpensive? Also , where is the best place to buy freshly ground coffee, thanks!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 25, 2010, 10:00 am

Cafetieres (french press) are available on the top floor of Robinson's. Don't know the price.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2011, 3:23 am

Cafetiere's are available in Robinsons, top floor near the bakery and not too expensive. However, the quality isn't too good and the glass doesn't stand up to much abuse (I have klutzy stepdaughters... beautiful but klutzy!) and their availability isn't guaranteed (Thai stock keeping 101!). If you bring a decent Bodum (or similar) from the UK, you may have better luck.

I travel a lot and despise the instant coffee in hotel rooms as much as the stewed pot they serve at breakfast so I bought a stainless steel cafetiere when I was in New Zealand and pack some of my favourite ground. I haven't seen them anywhere else in my world travels. Bullet proof they are!

Seems from earlier posts that Udon Delice has coffee beans... need to check that out. Does he have imports or just variations on locally available crop? My favourite coffee is Peet's from California and I have just had my buddy bring in 4 lbs of various beans and as usual, they are marvelous. The African and Indonesian blends are brilliant.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 3, 2011, 9:09 am

tamada wrote: "Seems from earlier posts that Udon Delice has coffee beans... need to check that out. Does he have imports or just variations on locally available crop?"

Assuming no recent changes in his operation, Alain buys his beans at various locations throughout Thailand and makes buying trips according to the production season. I believe that he carries a portable roaster with him to test each potential batch prior purchase and transport to Udon. He roasts and grinds his coffee at his shop on the ring road and will grind to your specifications.

Alain seems to know his business and I believe that he told me that he is third generation coffee roaster from France. I've been well pleased with his product. He is certainly a very accomodating proprietor.

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » January 3, 2011, 9:54 am

tamada wrote:I travel a lot and despise the instant coffee in hotel rooms as much as the stewed pot they serve at breakfast so I bought a stainless steel cafetiere when I was in New Zealand and pack some of my favourite ground. I haven't seen them anywhere else in my world travels. Bullet proof they are
I bought a stainless steel one from Tesco in the UK. I agree that they are virtually indestructible and also keep coffee hot for a decent while. Inexpensive also!!

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » January 3, 2011, 9:17 pm

papaguido wrote:
BobHelm wrote:Might be worth you looking at a "Moka" coffee maker.
Moka.jpg
Seen them at Robinsons.
I have one of these from Italy and it really makes a great cup of coffee.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”