Display Your Car Registration...or else!!!

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Display Your Car Registration...or else!!!

Post by semperfiguy » December 14, 2010, 10:11 am

Fellow forumites...I would encourage you to properly display your car's pink registration certificate on your front windshield if you haven't already. When I purchased my new Honda in July I asked the representative if it was mandatory to display this certificate. I was told that the law had been changed and I was only required to keep it in the glovebox. Yesterday I was returning from Nong Kkai and the local Ampher Phen Highway Police were conducting a shakedown on Route 2. At least 10 cops were pulling vehicles over in a mad frenzy one after the other. After checking my Thai driver's license I was told to report to the police shack to pay my 300 Baht fine for not having the certificate properly displayed. My Thai wife went in to try to reason with them, but they insisted on payment of the fine. While I was waiting in the car I witnessed other policemen walking away from other cars with 100 Baht bills in their greedy little palms. Where I come from if a foreign visitor was caught in a similar violation, he/she would be given the benefit of the doubt and a polite warning and allowed to proceed on without further interuption. My wife was treated like a common criminal and made to wait in a line of 30 people for over 30 minutes. My love-hate relationship with Thailand is getting more one sided by the day. Anyway...now I've vented and given you folks a fair warning, so be on your guard.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Re: Display Your Car Registration...or else!!!

Post by Prenders88 » December 14, 2010, 10:17 am

car's pink registration certificate

Never seen one.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 14, 2010, 10:20 am

semperfiguy wrote:Fellow forumites...I would encourage you to properly display your car's pink registration certificate on your front windshield if you haven't already. When I purchased my new Honda in July I asked the representative if it was mandatory to display this certificate. I was told that the law had been changed and I was only required to keep it in the glovebox. Yesterday I was returning from Nong Kkai and the local Ampher Phen Highway Police were conducting a shakedown on Route 2. At least 10 cops were pulling vehicles over in a mad frenzy one after the other. After checking my Thai driver's license I was told to report to the police shack to pay my 300 Baht fine for not having the certificate properly displayed. My Thai wife went in to try to reason with them, but they insisted on payment of the fine. While I was waiting in the car I witnessed other policemen walking away from other cars with 100 Baht bills in their greedy little palms. Where I come from if a foreign visitor was caught in a similar violation, he/she would be given the benefit of the doubt and a polite warning and allowed to proceed on without further interuption. My wife was treated like a common criminal and made to wait in a line of 30 people for over 30 minutes. My love-hate relationship with Thailand is getting more one sided by the day. Anyway...now I've vented and given you folks a fair warning, so be on your guard.
It's true, not required to be displayed. Try telling that to the BIB :D Anyway, same thing happen to us, but in BKK. Never had a problem before, but to avoid any future hassles we just stuck on the windshield.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 14, 2010, 10:23 am

Prenders88 wrote:car's pink registration certificate

Never seen one.
I presume he means this
120px-Tax-paid_label_for_Thai_car_(1990s_circle_version).jpg
Road tax.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 14, 2010, 10:26 am

I would have thought it only common sense to display your car reg in the windscreen. That is why it comes in the format that it does, with the year in very large print, so as it can be seen from a distance away by BIB. If it were supposed to be kept in the "glovebox" why would they print it this way?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » December 14, 2010, 11:14 am

stattointhailand wrote:I would have thought it only common sense to display your car reg in the windscreen. That is why it comes in the format that it does, with the year in very large print, so as it can be seen from a distance away by BIB. If it were supposed to be kept in the "glovebox" why would they print it this way?
Point well taken Statto! Guess it all depends on your perspective. In Tennessee, USA we get a nice little 1" x 1" reflective numeral to affix to the corner of the license tag so that the authorities can see that one's road tax is current for the year. The reason they put windshields on cars is so that one can have a clear view straight on and in the near periphery. Where's the common sense in creating "blind spots" to your view by dotting your windshield with 4" x 4" emblems? That's just enough "blind" to hide one little idiot with no helmet riding a motorbike...for just one second to allow for a fatal crash. Wisdom always prevails over buffalo common sense. I bet you're the guy that has the two huge furry pillows and the little wooden Hawaiian dancing girls with bobbing heads stuck up against your rear window!

Just playing with you Statto. Have a great day!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 14, 2010, 11:20 am

The wife made me get rid of the dancing girls :lol: And my 6in x 6in pair of dice hanging from my mirror had to go too when the local BIB reckoned they were being used for a mobile gambling ring :lol: Still got the nodding dog in the back though :-"

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » December 14, 2010, 11:51 am

what trubrit is showing you is very similar to the u.k. tax disc which has to be displayed on the windscreen so it can be easely seen. an out of date disc or lack of a disc can get you a fine. you would have to put it in a stupid place to cause a blind spot.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 14, 2010, 11:58 am

Its possible where the confusion is coming in . Until two years ago you had to display an insurance disc showing you were insured, then they made this requirement a necessity for getting the vehicle taxed so it was no longer needed on display . Just a thought .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 14, 2010, 12:13 pm

Worrying about windscreen clutter.
Comeylah-keta-Hello-Kitty-Pink-kaler-nih-rasa-nak-bwk-balik-D.jpg
Or you could try this one .
no_bribe_sticker.jpg

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 14, 2010, 12:35 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:I would have thought it only common sense to display your car reg in the windscreen. That is why it comes in the format that it does, with the year in very large print, so as it can be seen from a distance away by BIB. If it were supposed to be kept in the "glovebox" why would they print it this way?
Point well taken Statto! Guess it all depends on your perspective. In Tennessee, USA we get a nice little 1" x 1" reflective numeral to affix to the corner of the license tag so that the authorities can see that one's road tax is current for the year. The reason they put windshields on cars is so that one can have a clear view straight on and in the near periphery. Where's the common sense in creating "blind spots" to your view by dotting your windshield with 4" x 4" emblems? That's just enough "blind" to hide one little idiot with no helmet riding a motorbike...for just one second to allow for a fatal crash. Wisdom always prevails over buffalo common sense. I bet you're the guy that has the two huge furry pillows and the little wooden Hawaiian dancing girls with bobbing heads stuck up against your rear window!

Just playing with you Statto. Have a great day!!
You are showing your ''newness'' to Thailand.Stop your comparing Thailand to the USA,the thinking,logic and motives are really quite different!Right aways there,not here,need to see there,not here.''protect and serve'' there,not here,rule of law there,not here,expensive there,cheap here and on and on and on :lol: :lol: There must be reason that we are on opposite sides of the World,right? :lol: :lol:

The goal is to learn and understand,so you can accept the things you can't change(almost everything Thai :lol: )and change the things you can(your attitude and reactions),so you can enjoy the things you do like about Thailand! \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 14, 2010, 12:58 pm

I ALWAYS displayed my "Tax in post" disc on my Relient Regal when in UK :D

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 14, 2010, 5:23 pm

well this is the law in thailand, you always had to put them on the inside of the windshield, before also from insurance, but this one not anymore as you can not get the pink registration sticker without insurance, btw this also go's for the motorbike, outside visible or you will pay a ticket again......TIT...............

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 14, 2010, 7:53 pm

"Stop your comparing Thailand to the USA"

The sooner you do, the more you'll enjoy living in Thailand. People don't throw garbage on the ground in the US, 99.99999% of the time you drive on the right (proper) side of the road, you don't offer bribes to traffic cops, your neighbor can't burn garbage in his yard and he has to have his dog on a leash outside the yard, you'll get $1 for every $1 you have every day of the year, you can buy a good bottle of wine for under $10, your neighbor in the subdivision can't open a motorcycle repair shop next door to you, and if your neighbor plays his music full blast until the wee hours of the morning, a call to the police will usually settle the matter, police will chase you down if they see you run a red light, traffic pulls over for emergency vehicles, your water will rarely, if ever, be turned off and if it is, the water lines will be flushed when the water is turned back on, you can drink the tap water, you can be pretty certain that no one will start rolling dice at a relative's funeral, you pay the same price the natives do.............If those are the kind of things you're seeking in life, you made a wrong turn at the Y in the road. Life is wonderful here, but it'll be miserable if you compared all its deficiencies to life in the US (or elsewhere).

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 15, 2010, 6:49 pm

The Phen turnoff on Highway 2 is a constant fleecing station. I've been stopped there dozens of times.

It doesn't matter what you have displayed on your windshield. It's wrong -- and you will be without papers you're supposed to have. Accept it. The rules regarding what drivers are supposed to display/carry remain vague and nebulous for a reason.

Just consider the cost of driving from Nong Khai to Udon Thani is 300 baht.

It's disgraceful.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 15, 2010, 7:37 pm

I have driven that route (Ban Dung to/from NK) probably 12 times in the past 6 months - a quick look at the license sticker on the windscreen, and on ya' way.

What a pleasure!

You must have caught them (several times) on a bad hair day Tex. :D

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 15, 2010, 7:53 pm

I Drive from NK to Udon at least twice a Month, And although I've been stopped at the Phen turn off on Hi 2,a couple of times, I've NEVER been asked for any tea money.......

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » December 16, 2010, 2:04 am

I've driven between Nong Khai and Udon dozens of times and only been fined once. The police said I was going 130 kph. It cost me 100 THB. Oh, and by the way, I was going 130 kph. :D

ronniec
udonmap.com

Post by ronniec » December 16, 2010, 9:20 am

I got done in my hire car last year 400 baht so you were a bit lucky,wont make same mistake next week,but i'm sure BIB will find something else,Do you need to carry passport if driving on aussie licence

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 16, 2010, 12:14 pm

ronniec wrote:I got done in my hire car last year 400 baht so you were a bit lucky,wont make same mistake next week,but i'm sure BIB will find something else,Do you need to carry passport if driving on aussie licence
Regardless of what driving license you have or even whether you are driving or walking. It is mandatory to carry your passport with you at all times .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”