Ban Dung Christmas Rocks

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Ban Dung Christmas Rocks

Post by jackspratt » December 25, 2010, 8:21 pm

A great day (again) in Eddies today. Plenty of food, good company, cold(ish) beer, and live music with Neno to top off the night.

If the unfortunates who live in Udon had as good a day today as we Dungians, they should count their blessings. :D

Tomorrow we can hark back 2000 years, but instead of the Christians (amongst others) being slaughtered at the Colosseum, we can watch the Poms put to the sword at the modern equivalent - the MCG. =D>

sissor-mouth
udonmap.com

Re: Ban Dung Christmas Rocks

Post by sissor-mouth » December 26, 2010, 12:54 am

nice with all due respect was it like having a christmas in the middle of a rice field while all the buddhists went about their mandatory basic tasks been there got the t- shirt =D>

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » December 26, 2010, 7:43 am

Nice one "Jack"
I had a blinding meal and party at the N'Joy Pub in Ubon.
Happy New Year to you, Eddie and Bruce ..... hope to see you soon

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 26, 2010, 7:57 am

Thanks Chris- your absence was noted. :D

Happy New Year to you as well - catch up next year.

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » December 26, 2010, 11:26 pm

sissor-mouth
udonmap.com

Post by sissor-mouth » December 27, 2010, 5:29 am

i remember ban dung went there 10 years ago me and my girl friend at the time stayed in this flea infested hotel i guess times have changed for the better

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » December 30, 2010, 8:33 pm

So...what's happening tomorrow night in Ban Dung? :-k

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 30, 2010, 9:27 pm

Usual Friday night at Eddies, jj - Neno crooning his well-practiced set, backed up by Eddies' cameo performances of My Way, and Got You Under My Skin (plus a couple of other standards). :D

I will have a few there - as I am sure most other farang regulars will, but mainly I will be with the family.

Funnily enough, after 60 New Years Eves, it loses its impact a bit. :D

And you?

sissor-mouth
udonmap.com

Post by sissor-mouth » December 31, 2010, 2:35 am

jingjai wrote:So...what's happening tomorrow night in Ban Dung? :-k

Well plenty or rice farming in the day as for the night time errrr well I guess you could watch the rice grow or have a pretend sword fight with a bamboo stick . I went there 10 years ago with a Ex girlfriend and i don't think there was any bars I coundn't not even find a ATM machine . We ended up staying in this flee biten Hotel in the center or the town where Soi Dogs howled all night long ... Jing Jai my tip is to stay in Udon Thani for New years Eve celebrations what I personally feel ticks all the correct boxes but each to their own i guess.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! ;)

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » December 31, 2010, 6:30 am

Yes we used to live in Bandung, indeed the nearest ATM used to be in Phen.
The only Hotel I knew then was directly opposite the City Field, very basic, behind a row of market stalls.
A sign was put up along that row. "Night Plaza" It never took off, as everyone was in bed by 8pm.
I understand now there are two hotels in Bandung with flushing sit down lavvys.
Drive all the way there to find that the machine would be out of order, we would often end up coming into Udon.
Udon only had Big C and the complex which everyone referred to as Robinsons.
The traffic was light and all you would see were pickups, hardly any saloon cars.
After all these years there is only one bar in Bandung worth sitting in, and that's Eddies, for some banter, piss taking, cold beer , and good food.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2010, 8:24 am

sissor-mouth wrote:

Well plenty or rice farming in the day as for the night time errrr well I guess you could watch the rice grow or have a pretend sword fight with a bamboo stick . I went there 10 years ago with a Ex girlfriend and i don't think there was any bars I coundn't not even find a ATM machine . We ended up staying in this flee biten Hotel in the center or the town where Soi Dogs howled all night long ... Jing Jai my tip is to stay in Udon Thani for New years Eve celebrations what I personally feel ticks all the correct boxes but each to their own i guess.

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! ;)
Says our new-found expert, 10 years out of date, firmly ensconced in the UK, and living his Thailand life vicariously through Udon Map. :roll:

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 31, 2010, 9:03 am

Christ JS,did you feel personally attacked because of his thoughts about BD?Because your comment was a bit nasty,IMO!

Maybe ,since you are a current resident,you could recommend the venues besides Eddies,which sounds like a delightful place to celebrate amongst the local expats?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2010, 9:08 am

nkstan wrote:Christ JS,did you feel personally attacked because of his thoughts about BD?Because your comment was a bit nasty,IMO!

Maybe ,since you are a current resident,you could recommend the venues besides Eddies,which sounds like a delightful place to celebrate amongst the local expats?
Happy new year to you too, stan. :D

I have no knowledge of what will be happening in venues besides Eddies (there are a couple), so cannot recommend anything else.

ps - have a look at some of his other posts. :shock:

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » December 31, 2010, 9:14 am

you pickin on the newbies again Jack? :?

Happy new Year

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2010, 9:28 am

I admire your spirit in revisiting the subject of newbies, Dermot. :roll:

Enjoy your new year also.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » December 31, 2010, 9:36 am

Just Joshing with you Jack.... Enjoy Eddies

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 31, 2010, 9:55 am

hi jack ,
is the pizza shop still there , if there ever was any? if there is is it any good? long time ago i also visited bandung regularly, to visit a doctor with my father in law, as i am not so far located from bandung..., i remember it was a medium big village with many shops and some local restaurants near the market, but has expanded a lot since than...
during these festive ? days, we also stay at home, as same with songkran is a no go , because to many accidents caused by drunk driving, and yes sm, even today maybe we will be in bed at 9 and waking up in the new year ...........,
as for us all these pushed days , not our style , i will make my own new years on what ever day of the year..., as when you stay permanent here , it is xmas and new year every day....

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2010, 10:23 am

Pizza shop in the middle of town (Maurissio?) is still there, kop.

I haven't tried it, because in my experience every pizza I have tried in Thailand has been overpriced and underwhelming. This was recently confirmed by my French brother-in-law, who dined at the said pizza shop.

Of course, others may have different experiences.

As for Ban Dung itself - I have been coming here since 2003, and lived here since 2007. It has grown from a medium large village into a fair sized town, which is confirmed by its achieving official "city" status. Sorry, I am not sure of the Thai term for that.

And of course, the ultimate confirmation is the recent opening of a mini-Tesco. :D

sissor-mouth
udonmap.com

Post by sissor-mouth » December 31, 2010, 5:35 pm

jackspratt wrote:
sissor-mouth wrote:

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! ;)
Says our new-found expert, 10 years out of date, firmly ensconced in the UK, and living his Thailand life vicariously through Udon Map. :roll:

hahahah "Thailand life" through Udon map ???? :-k Hardly we have just got back from Krabi 6 Weeks ago while visiting the magical islands of Koh Poda koh maya and a few nights in Udon town while wonderful time now back in England earning some serious wedge :-" Udon town is worth a night out I must be honest but why people rual farm is beyond me hahahah ... Maybe it's the "I live in Thailand" "I'm loaded with money" mentality... :roll: I do ponder at the fact why the saturday night million air EX pats don't choose exotic residency with locations such as Fiji Island rather than rice fields to spend the rest of their lives (lets all reflect on that last valid point for a while hahahaha) (as sissor mouth sips his warm PG TIPS tea sniggering to himself like mutley) Burppppppppp .. As for
Ban Dung having it's own Identity on the map it's called "Jan Watt" but who am i to know eh says the 10 year out of date expert (NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER JS) :-#

ok have a wonderful new year all !!! remember if you get bored there are always bamboo sticks to have a pretend sword fight with or watch the rice grow burrrrrrppppp (stop it sissor mouth it's not even the new year yet)

ok thats enough back to the OP please

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2010, 8:50 pm

sissor-mouth wrote: (NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER JS) :-#
Everything I have read thusfar leads me to believe you are all cover, and no book s-m.

Without dwelling too long on that, all the best in the new year. :D

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”