Back Problems

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
DermotC
udonmap.com

Back Problems

Post by DermotC » January 8, 2011, 11:38 am

First Post from Udon!

Unfortunately Im having some back problems. Can anyone reccommend a qualified Physio here in Udon or a chiropractor. The one I have in Ireland is both, but this has just sprang up again in the last few days. Anyone with back pain will know how ill it can make you feel. Anyone that can help Id really appreciate it. Thanks

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Re: Back Problems

Post by pienmash » January 8, 2011, 12:06 pm

I suffer with a bad back every few weeks , lasts only 3 or so days but agony , i counteract this by a couple of couterzone injections at the local docs and several gallons of cider ... tho im told guinness , vodka and even Leo work as well.

mash ....... sausage doctor.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » January 8, 2011, 12:13 pm

Thanks Mash but mine lasts until its worked on! The pain is so bad Ive been chewing codeine like smarties. Anyone whos been on codeine knows thats it causes other problems, backs you up badly! Ill give this until tomorrow and if there arent any more replys Ill head up to AEK. Cheers

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

Looks like AEK is your best bet Dermot...
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... 19503.html

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » January 8, 2011, 2:15 pm

I have delt with back pain my entire adult life.The only relief I have found is through chiropractors and it has been hard to find competent ones over the years.I had one in Bangkok for years ,but he finally left Thailand!

I have since used one on Suk 38,Thonglor BTS stop,in Bangkok,that was recommended by LA and he seems to work for me.

I can tell you that I searched for chiros outside of Bangkok for years to no avail,although there was an old retired one living in Pattaya about 10 years ago,don't know if he is still there or not.

There are none in Udon,KK,NK,Korat,but I don't know about Chiang Mai or Phuket.

My program for when my back goes out,is take the overnight sleeper train to bankok full of valiums or Vicoden to get treatment from the Chiro!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 8, 2011, 2:18 pm

Dermot, it's usually a good idea to visit the Doctor, I would suggest AEK and get an X-Ray so you know what you are dealing with.

For deteriorating joints, joint inflammation, general wear and tear etc they usually give me Celebrex (pfizer), along with Norgesic (a muscle relaxant with analgesic). The former (Celebrex) usually costs 700+ baht through the hospitals (AEK and Phuket International), but can be bought from local pharmacies for about 240 baht for a strip of 10. Norgesic only costs about 40 baht.

So nowadays if I have another bout of backache, I usually go to a pharmacy and just buy another strip of each. I don't like taking such things on an ongoing basis, so don't take any of them for more than 2 or 3 days. I sometimes also go for a massage at one of the local massage shops.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » January 8, 2011, 3:18 pm

I’ve been using the Physiotherapy Department at AEK on my visits to Udon for a number of years.

I first went to them following my back problems flaring up some six years ago and they have certainly helped me – they haven’t provided a permanent cure, but I don’t think there are many permanent cures for most of the back problems that are around.

As people often make comparisons between the diagnosis and treatment in Thailand and their own country I will add that the analysis of my problem and the recommended treatment was exactly the same as in the UK.

I don’t know if the Physiotherapy Department will treat you without you being first registered with the hospital and/or having seen one of their doctors.

If you need to register, the International Office is on your left as you go through the Main Entrance doors.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 8, 2011, 3:47 pm

Back problems are a bane of anyones life, having suffered for almost 30 years I can understand the desire of many to seek a quick answer to their aches and pains.
Unfortunately their isn't one really unless of course your back has slipped disc, damage due to an accident or other debilitating symptoms.
SAfter my back probelms flared up I was lucky enough to undergo two intensive weeks of physio during which i was taught the best way to sleep and how to exercise to minimise back problems.
I also take Norgesic which are best taken after a meal and especially just before you go to bed. If you have no idea what is causing your back to flare up then as suggested by others a scan or even an x-ray could show up the offending bit, but as one ages we tend to think that we are invulnerable and forget, our backs don't and the following morning it tells us with a vengance. it now takes me about 2-3 days to recover from back abuse as opposed to the 24hrs it used to take me.

Following my two operations it has always been in the forefront of my mind that I could end up in a motorised bucket....lol, but seriously backs are temperamental and the older we get the more they get. Awkward things back, a good physio is ok but they have to be good, a hot bath with a nice oil/aroma massage ( no happy endings please ) does just as good as job.

I find that here we use our bodies less, i used to walk a lot in the Uk but not here, so in general by fitness is less, so I garden now instead and walk if I am in Udon,not take a samlor, just park and walk.

tamdon
udonmap.com

Post by tamdon » January 8, 2011, 4:08 pm

Hello, I am new here but may have some good advice for the many back pains. I also had many back problems for years and did the codine thing for years, (what a nightmere!). I started taking 3 fish oil capsules per day and after about a year, one morning I woke up and noticed my back problems were gone. It's been over 7 years now and I take 1 fish oil per day and exercise. NO PROBLEMS what so ever. I have digerative discs and damaged discs from an accident. If you can get off the meds and just exercise and massage you will be on a better road. I don't even take asperines. This works, because the fish oil is like relubricating your joints and helping your nerves deal with the pain and rebuilding. Hope it helps, Don

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » January 8, 2011, 4:26 pm

Thanks Guys, I did see a doctor in Aek last time I was here but maybe They'll want me to see another one. I know there is no permanent cure as it always come back. Just a bit worried because I cant see myt normal guy who has it sorted for 6 or so months after 2 or 3 visits. Ill head down to Aek in the morning and see what they can do. I know you guys can feel my pain from reading the posts above! I had to move all my stuff out of my apartment in Dublin before I headed over and I think thats what started it off. It wasnt due for about another 2 months or so. I really appreciate the help and Ive switched from Codeine to Tylenol now as the codeine was causing terrible stomach cramps. Ill let you know how the trip to Aek goes tomorrow. Cheers everyone for their help and Stan I hope to God I dont have to go to Bangkok to see a chiro!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 8, 2011, 5:36 pm

Dermot just a quickie as the actress said to the Bishop, stop Tylenol and try Norgesic,
1, It is not only a pain killer but also a muscle relaxant which does help.
2 I find that a little pain every day does remind me that I have a back problem but also makes me think before I do anything, like lifting , bending etc:-

Constantly taking a pain killer dulls the system and when it then hurts you have done something to aggravate it, by NOT taking just a pain killer, although at first the pain is high you manage to get it down by judicious use of your back and you then have a pain level you can manage more easily.

I used to take a prescription only pain killer fairly high dose but I stopped that after 3 months some 30 years ago, and now only take it when it hurts a lot, often just a Norgesic before bed is enough to calm everything down.

Backs being complicated, react to pain and tries to alleviate the pain by making other muscles move in a different way to lessen the pain, therefore what could be strain becomes a bigger problem as your body tries to adjust to the pain.
it is a catch 22 situation you have to conciously relax your back to allow the body to put itself right. Hope that helps a little.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » January 8, 2011, 7:57 pm

Khun Paul,

Can i get Norgesic over the counter?

Cheers

Dermot

rogerdoger
udonmap.com

Post by rogerdoger » January 8, 2011, 8:15 pm

Tylenol? This is paracetamol. Paracetamol is the mainstay of all pain regimes. 4 times a day-maximum 4 g, ie 8 tabs is a must, safe and wise. Unless you have liver problems take them regularly.

NSAIDS like ibuprofen (neurofen) are great for back pain because of the anti inflammatory properties..

Care, if you are on BP meds, nore specifically an ACE inhibitor and diuretic, do not take NSAIDS or your kidneys will fail. If you have stomach problems, do not take NSAIDS, and if you take more than the recommended dose yuor kidneys willl suffer.

Recent studies show that the 'plus' versions of paracetamol and ibuprofen which have 8mg of codeine are no better than the without codeine as 16mg of codeine PO is useless. The minimum dose of codeine for an effect in an adult is 60mg, but that would mean 7 paracetamol=almost a daily allowance.

Codeine based products are hard to get in LOS without a script.

Tramadol is a mu receptor agonist and acts in the same way as traditional opiates. it is a very effective drug for back pain and is available OTC in LOS. You can have up to 600mg/day. My advice is the 100mg slow release.

You can take paracetamol, ibuprofen and tramadol all together. If you have severe pain take paracetamol (1g) 4 times/day, best at 0800, 1200, 1800, 2200. Take ibuprofen(400mg) at mealtimes, three times a day. If it is bad, add the tramadol at the same time as the ibuprofen, 100mg, that leaves you loads of room to play with if it gets worse.

Exercise,light stuff, walking/swimming, and find out why your back hurts.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » January 8, 2011, 8:23 pm

Thanks Rodge! When i said i was chewing codeine, it was actually Nurofen plus i was taking but the codeine was playing havoc with my stomach. Im off to Aek in the morning and as suggested earlier in the thread Ill get them to do an x-ray. This is a good opportunity for me to get it sorted as i have the time now and Im not worried about having to take time off work etc.

Cheers for the advice

Dermot

rogerdoger
udonmap.com

Post by rogerdoger » January 8, 2011, 8:26 pm

yes, codeine will bung you up big style.
let me know the diagnosis please.
Cheers
R

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 8, 2011, 9:04 pm

Dermot wrote:Khun Paul,

Can i get Norgesic over the counter?

Cheers

Dermot
Dermot, both the Norgesic and the Celebrex I mentioned are available over the counter in Thailand.
Arjay wrote:For deteriorating joints, joint inflammation, general wear and tear etc they usually give me Celebrex (pfizer), along with Norgesic (a muscle relaxant with analgesic). The former (Celebrex) usually costs 700+ baht through the hospitals (AEK and Phuket International), but can be bought from local pharmacies for about 240 baht for a strip of 10. Norgesic only costs about 40 baht.

rogerdoger
udonmap.com

Post by rogerdoger » January 8, 2011, 9:11 pm

Celebrex is really good, and a COX2 inhibitor, so it doesn't have the same problems as COX 1 inhibitors like Ibuprofen, but the downside is that you can only really take it once a day. The danger with pills is taking more than the recommended dose. If you are good, one celebrex could be substituted for the three times a day ibuprofen, however experience says that a single dose of celebrex doesn't always hit the spot, but it's individual. Just watch the doses.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » January 9, 2011, 3:21 am

I have had serious back pain for the last 20yrs, after a couple of bad horse riding falls, two bad motorbike accidents, and a prolasped disc..I know what pain is after getting a chainsaw in the face..heck two weeks ago I had the hell slam dunk on my back the wet outdoor steps, man did it friggin hurt, like someone had slammed me in the back with a metal baseball bat..couldnt get out from where I live because it was flooded, then the 9 seater plane couldnt take off because of low cloud..anyways limped into hospitals accident and emergency ward so I could get some xrays, waited seven hours to be told that I had broken several rips, and broke a fin off my spine..nothing they could do but offer me some painkillers, no thanks, dont believe in them,

the body gives you pain so you know what you can, and cant do..if you go numbing that pain then you are more than likely will continue to use your back in ways you shouldnt, so she wont heal...

if your back is hurting around the belt region then you maybe be bordering on a prolapsed disc, or a tissue tear...exercise , place your hands on your back in the belt area, and lean and stretch backward, do this at least for five mintues everyday.....also stand and try and touch the ceiling with your chin, stretch your body right up, drive your chin up in the air and then shake your head from side to side, as if you were a dog shaking off water..do this ten times a day...dont wear a belt, and sleep on a hard bed, dont lift anything, and dont sit around, and wear a proper thick elastic belt designed for bad backs...painkillers will only get rid of the pain, not fix anything, indeed, may numb things so that you start doing things you shouldnt..anyway it is your choice, but try the exercises...good luck

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » January 9, 2011, 6:54 am

Arjay, which pharmacy sells Celebrex for 240 baht strip? The best I've found is 300 baht at the pharmacy on the corner across from talat Ban Hoy and the one south of the market between Ngee Soon and Srisuk.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » January 9, 2011, 8:30 am

I got my last lot at a pharmacy on Meechai road in Nong Khai for 240 baht. I noted that some other pharmacies locally were asking 260 and 300 baht. It maybe that some places are slower to put their prices up.

Return to “Health & Beauty”