Fox News & Aljazeera disappear from UTV Cable

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Fox News & Aljazeera disappear from UTV Cable

Post by semperfiguy » February 1, 2011, 6:57 pm

According to the UTV Cable bill collectors, the company has changed ownership. Yesterday the cable was out all day, and when it finally came back the channel lineup was completely different than before. Fox News, Al Jazerra and BBC appear to have been dropped from the programming schedule. Can anyone else out there confirm this? For those of you with Home Cable TV service, are these channels available from that provider? If so, I will be down there tomorrow to switch cable companies. Thanks in advance for you responses.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: Fox News & Aljazeera disappear from UTV Cable

Post by polehawk » February 1, 2011, 7:31 pm

Only had Home Cable for a week but do have BBC on Chan 43 and Fox News on Chan 48. Scanned for Al Jazeera but didn't find it. Maybe someone more familiar with Home Cable can answer that part.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 1, 2011, 7:38 pm

They used to have Al Jazeera, but quite a while ago & not for very long. From memory they swapped it for the English news channel from Singapore - Channel News Asia is it?? Channel 44

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 1, 2011, 9:05 pm

Yes,Home Cable has the BBC on Channel 43,Channel News Asia (Singapore) on 44 and Fox News on 48.
Other Channels of interest to the discerning english speaking farang include.....

15 ABC (Australia)
39 Channel V (music)
40 Music Lifestyle
62 Universal (includes programmes like Law and Order,Criminal Minds,Special Victims Unit,Shattered,House and The Office)
86 Goal TV (football)
89 ITV Granada (especially for the British who can have a touch of nostalgia with programmes like Coronation Street,Emmerdale,Hells Kitchen,I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here,Bouquet of Barbed Wire,Holiday Reps and Parkinson)

There are also individual channels for expats from France,Italy,Germany,Vietnam,China and Laos but other than looking at the fit women,who occassionally appear,I wouldnt think hold much interest for english only speaking expats ;)

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 1, 2011, 9:19 pm

What about the history of Scunthorpe channel or the Christmas pudding channel Zid ??..... anyone remember crossroads and the ****** benny and what about Emmerdale some nice totty in that when i was a lad.

mash ... loves life loves Deidrie Barlow

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 1, 2011, 10:24 pm

I've got Home Cable, and the channels run from 1 to 80.
Have BBC World, Faux News, Channel News Asia, but no channels 86 or 89.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 2, 2011, 8:20 am

Ditto as of this morning semperfiguy (2cnd. ) and neither do we have the other English channels mentioned apart from Universal and the English film channel that was available before.

I will not list the channel no,s as they keep changing on a regular basis.

Ours has been off for 2/3 days now and yesterday my wife belled UBC and was informed they were completing the changing of the Sat. receiver, they also said it would be service as usual from 6pm...Thai time of course :lol:

If it is not back to normal later today, we will contact them further for their input.

We have had many problems before, but it has always been resolved by the next working day.

Who knows maybe we will get a better service, along with more options once it is sorted out.

I was incidently assured the English channels would always be available when I went to enquire about the services prior to signing a contract and paying in 3 monthly intervals ect. ( In Advance )

I,m more than willing to give them the promised opportunity to enhance our services.

Should it be a better quality then again I am more than willing to pay more.

I was told before that the Thai customers would not want to pay extra and that is why it doesn,t get any better IMHO.

marshbags :-"

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 2, 2011, 10:20 am

pienmash wrote:What about the history of Scunthorpe channel or the Christmas pudding channel Zid ??..... anyone remember crossroads and the ****** benny and what about Emmerdale some nice totty in that when i was a lad.mash ... loves life loves Deidrie Barlow
Emmerdale is shown,mash,although its a few years out of date.
Scunthorpe Channel will happen once they get in the Premiership,I believe.
Christmas Pudding Channel will be coming in the hot season !

Just for you.....heres Roxanne Pallett from Emmerdale (nay,nay Mr.Wilks) and your long time sweetheart Deidre Barlow!
Roxanne Pallett Emmerdale.jpg
Roxanne Pallett Emmerdale.jpg (9.03 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Deidre Barlow pictured with mash 1989 Coronation Street.jpg
Deidre Barlow pictured with mash 1989 Coronation Street.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 2960 times

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 2, 2011, 2:14 pm

Thats not me - the slags two timing me , she told me there was only ever Ken , the dodgy Turkish fella (FORGOT HIS NAME ) and me .

MASH .. NOW I BLOKEN HEART

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2011, 2:52 pm

I didn't know there was a cable alternative in Udon... bugger me.

I lived in the US long enough to place Fox in the 'white noise' folder and of course Aljazeera was never an option in the Land of the Brave, Home of The Paranoid. While I was working in KL, I checked it out. Apart from an annoying, balding skinny bloke in a bad suit with one of those 'in your face' newsnight type opinion shows, they had a wider range of news items and some special features that were off the beaten track. This was the time of the Chilean miners and to be honest, there was bugger all to chose between the Beeb and CNN when that story was front-center.

Anyway, how much is this cable service? Do they run wires around the power poles? Would they likely extend a few hundred yards beyond the eastern ring road?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 2, 2011, 5:44 pm

tamada wrote:I didn't know there was a cable alternative in Udon... bugger me.

Anyway, how much is this cable service? Do they run wires around the power poles? Would they likely extend a few hundred yards beyond the eastern ring road?
Tamada, until they made these changes I have been quite pleased with the service. I get around 80 channels, with Universal and SyFy and another English movie channel. There are at least 4-5 foreign sports channels. I called the company this morning and the lady promised that BBC, Fox and Aljazerra would be back on within a day or two. They're doing a complete reshuffle of the programming. All in all it is a terrific service for the price. It's a 500 Baht deposit to get hooked up, then 350 monthly or 900 for three months advance. UTV Cable's number is 042-93132. The other cable service with perhaps a better lineup is Home Cable TV ( phone 042-344444 or www.homecable.co.th for complete details in Thai only) with 90 stations for the same deal as mine. If I don't get my news channels back within a few days I will be switching providers. Both providers are for sure set up to provide service east of the Ring Road. I live in First Home Village and I know that both services are available here. Home Cable also offers cable internet up to 3 MB for only 399 monthly, but I haven't tried that as yet. If TOT doesn't get their act together I will be switching them off as well.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 3, 2011, 3:16 pm

pienmash wrote:Thats not me - the slags two timing me , she told me there was only ever Ken , the dodgy Turkish fella (FORGOT HIS NAME ) and me .

MASH .. NOW I BLOKEN HEART

GOT IT ......... TWAS Samir.

mash ........ good memory sh*t shag

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 4, 2011, 10:38 pm

^^ Good info sfg, thanks. I will check it out when I get back next month. There's 2 TV's at the castle and I will wrest control of one of them... or maybe get one of then TV tuner gizmo's and watch it on the computer?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 4, 2011, 10:48 pm

The advantage of cable over satellite is that you can watch different programs on different TVs without any effort. So, number of rooms & TVs allowing you can sign up and watch 80 different channels in the same household at the same time - as long as the (very simple to do) cable is split to provide a connection to each TV.. :D Changing the channel on the TV provides a new channel, rather than a need to change the channel on a decoder - which you do not have with cable.
To watch different channels on satellite involves the expense of a different decoder for each TV. I know that can be done for 2 TVs running off the same satellite receiver, but am not sure what the limit is...

johndischert1
udonmap.com

Post by johndischert1 » February 5, 2011, 1:42 pm

I have noytseen any improvments on UTV bring back Fox etc... Would anyone like to share there cable internet stories. Who do you use and how much. I just got a bill from TOT for 1,800 for dsl??? I would like to switch not sure who to replace them with? any advice...

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 5, 2011, 1:48 pm

johndischert1 wrote:I have noytseen any improvments on UTV bring back Fox etc... Would anyone like to share there cable internet stories. Who do you use and how much. I just got a bill from TOT for 1,800 for dsl??? I would like to switch not sure who to replace them with? any advice...
Look at my previous post on this tread on Feb 02 at 5:44 PM. You'll learn more about the cable providers in Udon.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 13, 2011, 8:39 am

Just a quick update.

Bbc, Fox, Aljazeera, Universal, Skyfi or whatever and the old English film channel of which I cannot bring to mind the title of........Plus the NK news channel, which also has some good documentaries on are now back as of yesterday afternoon, in my case anyways.

They are scattered about so if they are not already there, do a manual search if an auto update doesn,t provide you with any what may be still missing from my list.

Now all I would like to see are the Ausralian and Italian channels restored.........yes i know I,m greedy for my 3 monthly payments in advance ( 900 baht ) but the last owner provided them all and spoiled my expectations.

I,d be happy to pay more if they upped the price, but shhhhs, don,t tell them...... :-"

Cheers and good viewing everyone.

Incidently they showed the Manchester derby live on one of the sports channels and boy what a stunning goal to win it for Utd. by W. Rooney.

It really was a classic and definitely intended rather than a chance / lucky strike.

marshbags ;)

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 13, 2011, 9:05 am

marshbags wrote:Just a quick update.

Bbc, Fox, Aljazeera, Universal, Skyfi or whatever and the old English film channel of which I cannot bring to mind the title of........Plus the NK news channel, which also has some good documentaries on are now back as of yesterday afternoon, in my case anyways.
Yes, all those are back on my programming as well. Now I feel like I'm back in touch with the real world.

God Bless!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 13, 2011, 9:55 am

Got a flyer yesterday from CAT, who have just installed fibre optic cables on our moobaan.

6mps Internet and cable TV for 790 baht a month.

042 304428 042 304122

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 13, 2011, 10:10 am

Prenders88 wrote:Got a flyer yesterday from CAT, who have just installed fibre optic cables on our moobaan.

6mps Internet and cable TV for 790 baht a month.

042 304428 042 304122
Did you sign up Prenders, and if so how is the internet service and do you get the BBC, Aljazeera and Fox on the cable TV. Let's hear from some others as well who have experienced the CAT service.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”