Songkran - what are you going to do?

General Udon Thani topics only!
arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 8, 2011, 9:52 pm

With Songkran shortly to be upon us, I wondered what members will be doing. No doubt some will be out there in amongst it, with their water pistols and buckets of iced water, and others will like Jon (Cherm Chin) will be taking cover or maybe battening down the hatches at home or in a local hostelry.

As my family will be away participating elsewhere, I've decided to take a short trip away and hole up in a hotel with as many facilities as possible, next to a shopping mall or similar, so that I can stay under cover as much as possible in the day time and just come out at night. Eat, drink, swim or whatever in the hotel, pop across to the shopping mall for some browsing or a coffee, and then venture out after dark for some exercise or a spot of prowling. ;)

Any other good ideas or suggestions?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 8, 2011, 10:40 pm

I'm going to send the family off to the village and shut the gate/door/curtains and make loads of useless posts on the forum ............ same as most days really :-"

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 9, 2011, 3:30 am

Doing exactly the same as I did last year. Just left Perth and arrived on the Gold Coast, QLD for my annual holiday visiting family and friends. Will be back when it's over and some resemblance of sanity has returned.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 9, 2011, 7:25 am

Stay indoors for the duration of this Songkran nonsense.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » April 9, 2011, 8:27 am

Just staying out of the downtown area, and just maybe be careful walking in the neighborhood. Hmm, guess nothing new from any other day.

Jed
udonmap.com

Post by Jed » April 9, 2011, 8:32 am

Indoors most of the time, reading manuscripts for two friends instead of working on my own.

Well-provisioned, including a big, fresh jar of homemade yaa dong, for medicinal purposes, naturally.

Catching up...on everything. Intermittent water play & watching the festivities (from a safe distance).

Playing with kids. Changing into dry clothes. Repeat for 5 days.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 9, 2011, 8:35 am

TW's village,15 mins out of town on the 13th and in town on 15th,will avoid Adunyadet Rd :D

Trouble is 2 out of the last 5 years have suffered skin problems from dirty water thrown,also watch out for the supposed powder on the face,stings like hell if some of the local yocals add extra ingredients.Maybe stop off at Nong Sim lake for a refill of the bin and throw back some dirty water back at the locals :-k

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » April 9, 2011, 9:40 am

Normal, for me a visit to Top Supermarket, windowup doors lock, watch a few water fight along the way. Wife has about 10 elderly friends she like to visit, I will take her but remind in the car or just drive around a bit, for they have old KID(40 something years old that at like little kids and want to dash you with water) Thank but no ThankS.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » April 9, 2011, 10:00 am

Lived in Nk almost 7 years now and I have found no dirty water,ice cube water experiences.In fact I have been impressed with the fun filled and neighborly attitudes of the community as a whole.With the exception of the several daily bike trips with my dog in the basket,because the dog gets scared of the water activity,we will go about our business dressed and prepared for water!
I enjoy seeing people happy and having fun w/o hooliganism,which is what I always see in NK proper!With the exception of very young children,who play with everyone,I see rather selective water play going on with people familiar with each other.We have gone out into the traffic of cars going through the water and powder gauntlets with very little action directed towards us.
All in all,it is fun if you are prepared and willing to play!If it is beneath you,or dangerous where you are,then supply and hole up for a week.
When I lived in Bangkok,it was fun walking around the neighborhood playing with the locals,not much fun when you ventured outside the neighborhood though! :D

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 9, 2011, 10:31 am

I'll be in the back of a pickup with several others armed with buckets of water, powder etc heading towards Nong Khai area. :D

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » April 9, 2011, 10:37 am

last year and this year havent been able to make it there,but have always enjoyed songkran,done the nong prajak route to busy for me car doesnt seem to move,love the village play but not the dirty water,best part about songkran everybody happy,worst part everybody try to force you to drink lao khao. :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 9, 2011, 11:54 am

I will most likely venture out for a day of madness on the 13th outside my old friends internet shop, Pop Pops, along with a few other like minded souls. Cliff now has a very nice little coffee bar outside serving fresh ground coffee from just 30bht so that will make a change from the beer .See you Cliffy . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 9, 2011, 12:02 pm

IF, it was "played" as it should be, then I agree it is fun ........family,friends and locals all enjoying themselves. Unfortunately many people now just use it as an excuse to cause mayhem and havoc to all and sundry.

Why does anyone need to go out in a pick -up loaded with water, aren't there enough people within walking distance of where they live? How is stopping a pick-up in the fast lane of a three lane highway fun? It certainly isn't for the poor guy who is driving to work at 70 or 80kph and suddenly sees the "static chicane" in front of him.
How is jumping out from behind parked cars and throwing a bucket of water at a motorbike or car windscreen fun? I'm sure all those who are caught in the yearly standstill that is central Udon, whilst a few individuals have a water fight at a main junction are having fun ..... especially if they happen to be in the back of an ambulance trying to get to one of the hospitals at the time.
A few years ago I went and played golf at Songkran ............at the starters hut was a large bowl of water with flowers floating in it. Each of the caddies took a small drop of scented water in their hands, smiled and released the water on the back of the players necks. To me, THAT is what Songkran is about, not throwing a bucket of pond water over an unsuspecting motorcyclist and soaking them to the skin.

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Little Italian Udon » April 9, 2011, 12:30 pm

Little Italian Restaurant will be open for Song Kran festivity as in our soi no one is playing water.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » April 10, 2011, 9:50 am

there's a pic of a promotional banner outlining activities at UD_town the coming week. 12th-17th. :wave:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » April 10, 2011, 12:29 pm

They've started installing the water refill setups on the road around Nong Prajak Park today.

Bangkok is a great place to visit during Songkran. Not many people throwing water and the city is very quiet because so many people have returned to their home village or are vacationing somewhere else during the extended holiday.

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » April 10, 2011, 1:55 pm

Me???? I'll be stying off the roads for the duration of Songkrahn. Too many crazy, drunk people out there! Mmmm, what I mean.... more people than usual. They're all crazy behind the wheel or on a seat! I'll stock up on the necessities for Songkrahn prior and enjoy it with a few coldies!!!

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 10, 2011, 5:44 pm

Sitting on my lawn eating mesquite smoked chicken, with mangos, French fries, and Southern iced tea to wash it down while blasting passerbys from 10-15 meters away with my house water pump powered garden hose and protected from retaliation by two barbed fences. It will be SO unfair. Ha!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 10, 2011, 6:25 pm

Is that a challenge Khondahm? :lol:

How do you like your French Fries? Soggy or VERY Soggy? :-"

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 11, 2011, 8:23 am

stattointhailand wrote:Is that a challenge Khondahm? :lol:

How do you like your French Fries? Soggy or VERY Soggy? :-"