Songkran - what are you going to do?

General Udon Thani topics only!
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » April 11, 2011, 9:27 am

Out in the village areas they're throwing water already. I was driving yesterday afternoon when suddenly (out of nowhere) my window screen was hit with a bucket full of powdery water, I couldn't see anything for a few seconds. I was doing about 80k at the time and had to put my foot on the break to slow down. Very dangerous indeed!

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » April 11, 2011, 11:55 am

UdonExpat wrote: Bangkok is a great place to visit during Songkran. Not many people throwing water and the city is very quiet because so many people have returned to their home village or are vacationing somewhere else during the extended holiday.
OT got stuck in BKK one songkran a few years back, all the connecting flights were full going to UT but empty coming back, so i got the family loaded onto a flight to BKK and we had a great time especially around the china town area. Kowsan Road was a bit much, too many foreigners and backpackers.

OT................ \:D/

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » April 11, 2011, 12:16 pm

They are starting here in Amnat this morning. Innocently on our way this morning to Immigration for the 90 day routine and some kids were setting up with hoses, barrels, water pistols etc. Lucky for us they weren't ready to squirt yet.

We will do the same as last year. Load up the pickup with barrels of water and a bunch of kids (including some adult "kids") and traipse around town and a few nearby villages. I myself will be in the chase car, with windows rolled up, taking pictures to document the silliness for posterity. Also lots of visiting as we now live in wife's home town so many of her friends who live in the "big city" are home for the holiday. And we usually get some swimming in at a nearby reservoir.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 11, 2011, 2:18 pm

Figured I'd take the samlor out for a serene country road drive to the new Lotus. My Precious had been wanting to go fir a ride for a while, so why not. Everything was gorgeous and peaceful when SPLASH! out of nowhere the same kids who ambushed me last year in the same place got me, but good! Very funny and I should have remembered that spot. :)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 11, 2011, 4:18 pm

Absolutely as little as possible, tender the garden, eat, drink a little and generally bugger all, an excuse for a big chill out.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 11, 2011, 4:34 pm

The previous 2 years I've done 2 days in the wife's village. Fun for the wife but boring for me. This year we said were only visit for 1 day. That was until last week when her plans changed and she wanted to stay over night and give her respects to a recently deceased monk. :?
Perfect for me. I can stay at home and hibernate for a few days. :D

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 11, 2011, 7:49 pm

This is the first year in three that I won't be in Udon for Songkran. My school here in Maha Sarkham has summer camp starting the Monday after Songkran and I'll be worthless for a day or two trying to recover. I am one of the brave or foolhardy souls that happily ventures out into the madness. Last few days I've felt like a kid just before Christmas and I have seen the same with almost everyone here in the village. Party on Wayne, party on Garth. :guitar:

So I will be doing battle on a new front here in Issan and I'm looking forward to it. A little word of warning the the water warriors out there in Udon. Beware the area around Pop Pop's shop as I know this is a popular area for "zappers" waiting to empty your ammunition and turn it against you :drunk: :badteeth: \:D/ :pirate:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 12, 2011, 11:43 am

Its interesting to note the council are closing many roads around Nong Prajak this year . Including , I think , one lane outside Pop Pops shop.Maybe doesn't want to water his coffee down. :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 12, 2011, 11:58 am

This may sound insane, but have have just done the reverse of Dero, and returned to Ban Dung from Oz in time for Songkran. :shock:

Eddies Bar this arvo (by car) - generally a good time there, watching all the goings on in the main drag. And there is the added benefit of the odd wet T-shirt, sans an under-singlet. =D>

Rest of the time will be catching up on a lot of emails and posts missed while I was away. Plus cold Leos with visiting family. :drunk:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 12, 2011, 2:53 pm

New Lotus.....foodcourt for lunch......super clean bathrooms for after lunch.......shopping in very cool environment......the Lotus resident katoey and 3 babes were passing out jasmine garlands and scented water over the hands to various customers.
And to think, we could have gone to Big C!@#$%^$#

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » April 12, 2011, 3:40 pm

Hi,
Agreed if Songkran was carried out as it should be. But you get some mindless people who, i think, have lost their brains and acting like idiots. This morning on the ring road going from Tesco's toward the airport, you get a ***** in the back of a pick-up, going at 80K, throwing water and ice into the face of a lady motor cycleist who was doing about 60K. If anyone thinks this is funny, in the back of the P.U. they were laughing, they want their heads checked. the poor girl nearly came of her bike. These types of idiots should be arrested for the dangerious things they do.
IMO people should read the facts about Songkran, and what it was for etc., instead of getting hosepipes out on the ring road, saw this happen last year near a garden center, and putting peoples lifes, and their own, in danger.
Rant over.

Deacz9
udonmap.com

Post by Deacz9 » April 13, 2011, 11:55 am

Staying in Cambodia until it's all over!. Over here, there is little water throwing, mostly water pistols, but the farangs that have come from Thailand, at least the backpacker types seem to get fun from plastering peoples faces with talc. The police actually do their job once a year and prohibit the crazy bucket of water throwing. Every year in Thailand, around 600 people die as a result of stupidity at Songkran festivals.

kennyguk
udonmap.com

Post by kennyguk » April 14, 2011, 10:39 pm

one of my highlights of SongKran in Udon was water fighting outside Tongs, ....I unloaded my weapon in his face a couple of times.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 15, 2011, 12:03 am

I have to agree with Deacz9. I'm not a "spoil sport", but so many exhibit such cras stupidity.

I went to Khon Kaen early on sunday intending to stay for Songran, but after checking it out/exploring and completing my shopping, I decided late monday night that it might after all be better to return home and "hole up" there for Songkran. If I had stayed on in Khon Kaen I would have had to stay a further 4 days and it would have been difficult to walk about anywhere.

So as I woke up at 06.00am tuesday morning, I decided to head back home. I left KK at 06.30 arriving back in Nong Khai Tesco at 08.40am after a fairly quick run. I stocked up on shopping and headed home.

Today I drove out in the car and had kids running out in front of me in order to throw water at motor cyclists.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » April 15, 2011, 7:06 am

Stay home, count the days until this stupidity ends.

Henrie
udonmap.com

Post by Henrie » April 15, 2011, 7:49 am

Songkran- what are you going to do? A better question is, "What can you do?"
I live about 6 km outside Udon, in the time I arrive the ringroad can only go dry arrive there at 4 o;clock in the morning,if I am lucky. One day Songkran maybe ok, but a whole nation grazzy for 3 or 5 days I never saw in the hole world.
But this is Thailand of course??

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 15, 2011, 9:53 am

Well I'm staying at home. Generally speaking I haven't been venturing out after dawn or before dusk. ;) I'm stocked up on food at home.

Though wednesday morning I did venture/drive to one of the smaller/quieter side sois off Prajak road for an early brunch, and could see from a distance a "nose to tail" queue of pick ups crawling along a totally wet Prajak Road with buckets of water & water guns etc being exchanged between most vehicles.

I went out after dark last night. Not many farang places open or people in them. Needless to say, there was a traffic accident involving a pick up and motorbike on Prajak Road.

Just have to grit my teeth and hold on for a couple more days until it's all over. Time to catch up on domestic chores.

what chores? ....Oh, I'll have the same again please. ;)

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 15, 2011, 10:58 am

Better to be safe than sorry, especially after reading what Mash had to say on another post =; stay safe members !

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 15, 2011, 11:58 am

I'm still holed up at home waiting for the madness to end. My Precious has been complaining that she wants to go out and play in the water, so we asked our niece (19) to come over for a visit. Well, not 3 hours after that phone call, she got into a Songkran motorbike accident (passenger). She's ok, but down for the Songkran count.

Benzman2
udonmap.com

Post by Benzman2 » April 15, 2011, 12:02 pm

8)

I like it this way ;)

=; not this way [-X

;) take care of you ;)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”