Home Security

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Re: Home Security

Post by Roy » October 19, 2009, 9:57 pm

It could be worse for any potential invaders on your property KP, they might break in while you were there! Then they would be subjected to a slow and agonisingly painful death as you drain the very life force from their bodies by giving them a KP special talking to.
Me, I'd rather be eaten by the dogs :lol:

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » October 19, 2009, 11:49 pm

A dialer is a nice thing to have, but be sure its ok with the police department before you put their number into it (I was in the alarm business once and I found out that one police department in particular is kind of fussy about having machines dial their main number).

The best use of a burglar alarm is as a deterrent. Once somebody has broken into your house, its too late, unless you want a photo to hand to the police, who might or might not ever find a use for it. Good outdoor lighting and neighbors who keep an eye out are probably your best defense IMHO.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 20, 2009, 7:48 am

Roy, too true, impaled on 31 1/2 inches of good Wilkinson steel is often a good deterrent as well a stiff talking too. My dogs love fresh meat as well.......................lol

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 20, 2009, 7:52 am

The best thing about an entry alarm is that it might deter the entry by someone.It might or might give you some witnesses though,if at night.Our little dog is an alarm of sorts,I am amazed how she can filter out our regular neighborhood noise and bark at strange sounds. :D

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 20, 2009, 8:03 am

Whatever makes your home look more difficult then your neighbors to break into is crime prevention.

I had experince with wireless devices but that was many years ago, I would hope they came a long ways since then.

I owned a company in the states we only sold monitored systems. That is where the meat was great reoccuring income.

Good luck, good business if you can hang in there long enough to get that reoccuring income a high enough.

Parts for the systems are easy to find on the net. Clean installaions are going to be a problem here. Which will speak highly of woreless if they have advanced far enough and have good reliability. My guess going to take some money to get the cops to really act on them here.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 20, 2009, 9:21 am

6 dogs!!!!! What do you do with all the waste material they produce.? Alarms are cleaner. :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 20, 2009, 1:55 pm

6 dogs!!!!! What do you do with all the waste material they produce.? Alarms are cleaner.

Feed the Dng beetle family over the wall, she is really a wonderful lady, works very hard at it as well, I have not watched her but it goes quite quickly, and before you say anything i own the land as well that I deposit on, it is cleared away ecologically and safely no bio-chemicals in use here.............. :D
it also gets me up and out and about in the garden at least once a day, more than m,any people I know !

jim_locksmith

Post by jim_locksmith » May 7, 2010, 12:03 am

Truly said alarms are cleaner and cheaper then 6 dogs

Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Jai » March 13, 2011, 12:12 pm

Does anyone use locks or bolts on their windows –I have the Bars fitted over them but given time—(and I do travel) they can be easily cut, leaving you with a window design that allows the window to be removed from the outside, or a flimsy lock. I haven’t seen any window type locks in Udon.

And on something completely different—I have just got a Condo down South, large windows that the sun streams in, has anyone had the Car tint applied to house windows---and – if so any problems-any problems ??
Thanks

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 13, 2011, 2:27 pm

If someone has the fortitude to take off your window bars, I'd doubt window locks would do much good. But, here's a simple added security measure: Your windows probably fit into channels on the top and side. If you drill a small hole through the channel and through the inner part of the window, you can insert a plain aluminum screw. One on top, one on the side. If someone wanted to remove the window, they'd have to do more than just pry it out of the channel.

Before our east-facing trees grew in, one of our kitchen windows suffered the fate of the hot morning sun. We installed a bamboo-rolling shade on the outside of the window.....keeps the sun off the bars and off the window itself.
The school I used to work at had the top-of-the-line 3M film applied to the windows. As far as I was concerned, it did no good. The windows were still hot and you could feel the heat pouring in. Your best bet (IMO) is to keep the sun from ever hitting the window itself......if you can.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » March 13, 2011, 2:59 pm

Two things about security grills, as Bumper said, all you need to do is make your home look like its more trouble to get into than your neighbors, and that is about all you can expect from security grills.

When we first had security grills installed, we were unhappy with the workmanship so we had a new contractor come in, remove and replace the grills. They sent a guy with an (electric) angle grinder and had the first security grill off in less than a minute. And nobody in the neighborhood came over to see what all the racket was at any time. In other words, I have no doubt that thieves can come to our house during the day while we are gone, remove whatever security grills they want with little effort, and cart our stuff away without worry of being caught, if they can find anything worth taking.

Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Jai » March 13, 2011, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the response Parrot--I will try the screw method ---the Condo is one where there are "rules and regulations" etc..etc jobs

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » March 14, 2011, 11:04 pm

Security Cameras are the way to go, many time the bloody crooks don't know they were on camera until they are arrested. They will poison the dogs, beside the dogs makes a mess of there on.

BkkBill
udonmap.com

Post by BkkBill » March 23, 2011, 10:44 am

It doesn't seem like dogs are the answer especially the friendly ones around Khon Kean.

Kidnapping Of Dogs On The Rise
By Saowalak Khongphakphoon
The Nation
Khon Kaen

Khon Kaen owner tells of Bt10,000 ransom demand

Dog kidnapping has been on rise in Khon Kaen in the past year, with the abduction of good breed dogs - especially people-friendly golden retrievers, Siberian huskies, chihuahuas and pugs.

Many pet owners are posting missing dog messages on http://www.khonkaenlink.info/. One tearfully said a Bt10,000 ransom was demanded for her pug but, after she filed a police complaint, she never heard from then dognapper again.

Khonkaenlink webmaster Chumphon Para said more and more missing dog messages had been posted on the website over the past year; but most owners did not get their dogs back despite rewards being offered, some as high as Bt10,000.

He believed many owners didn't turn to the law to get their dogs back, fearing police would see their claims as trivial. As an alternative, many were using social media to quickly reach a wide audience.

Jonsurang Namprom said she loved her eight-month-old pug "Jokey, as if it was her child. She bought it for Bt4,000 but it has now disappeared after her boyfriend walked it to Beuang Kaen Nakhon, not far from her home, and they got separated.

"It was stolen - because a security camera from a convenience store near home showed Jokey being taken by three teens on a motorbike," she said.

Jonsurang filed a police complaint and posted a missing dog message on Khonkaenlink with a Bt10,000 reward. She received a phone call from someone claiming to have bought the dog from teenagers and then resold it to a Ban Phai resident. The caller said he would leave the dog at a location for her in return for her wiring Bt10,000 to the caller's bank account - which she agreed.

But when she told the caller she had filed a police complaint, the line went dead and the number couldn't be reached again. "I love and miss Jokey so much… I still wait for it and never want to raise another pet dog," she said tearfully.

Another dog owner,Apisara Boonyapan, 43, recalled the day her two-year-old golden retriever "Jeng", which she bought for Bt2,700, went missing after she left it running around outside the family's townhouse for only five minutes. A neighbour told her Jeng was last seen chasing after a pick-up truck, whose driver seemed to have been observing the dog for a while.

-- The Nation 2011-03-23

Krista

Home Security

Post by Krista » June 2, 2011, 1:14 pm

Hi,
Alarm all window's door's and any other mean's of access with fixed vibration detectors no infa red or motion detector's inside house means you switch on alarm when you are home move about freely as normal and if some one trie's window's or door's alarm activated.

Return to “House & Land”