GPS in Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
goronnie
udonmap.com

Re: GPS in Thailand

Post by goronnie » February 22, 2010, 8:10 pm

Are Tomtom maps for thailand available from Tomtom, or a third party ?? Tried last year to get a Tomtom map with no luck.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 22, 2010, 8:19 pm

If you go to the main Tom Tom UK website you will find the Thai map download amongst other country downloads which are available for a fee of course.

Not all sat navs can download extra maps on there devices as there is not enough memory available.

FlyingKiwi
udonmap.com

Post by FlyingKiwi » February 23, 2010, 4:38 am

macduff wrote:If you go to the main Tom Tom UK website you will find the Thai map download amongst other country downloads which are available for a fee of course.
Ah....I see the problem now. The Thai map is not available for my model :(

So....looks like I will need to update my unit after all. Can't see me relying on my Nokia N95 - the display is too small for all practicable purposes and it takes like forever - and then some - to acquire a GPS fix!

New Tom Tom/Garmin or even an i -Touch/Phone???

Either way, it seems clear that it's best purchased outside of Thailand!

430xc
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by 430xc » June 11, 2011, 4:27 pm

I am looking for the Garmin Thailand map program. The Garmin website says it is discontinued. Does anyone know how to find a map program? I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490. Thanks

LoongLee
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by LoongLee » June 11, 2011, 6:07 pm

430xc,,,,,,,,,,,,, same advice as posted to another,,,
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/145 ... lacemarks/

The Garmin rep for Thailand in Bangkok has what you're looking for,,,,,,,esrith.com

PRichard
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by PRichard » June 11, 2011, 8:14 pm

430xc – You have a nice model Nuvi 1490. I have a Nuvi 200W brought over from the States because my son was throwing it away. It is U.S. OS not Thai OS.

Just this week I updated its firmware from 2.9 to the current 4.0. I downloaded Thailand Street Map V11.1 NT (Dual) and its components. Per instructions, I put it in a 2 GB microSD, renamed the IMG file and it works. I did not modify the existing internal flash memory. I did, however, set all languages to English and de-selected the existing City Navigator North America NT 2008 in the map setup screen. Now if I can just find the current U.S. map, I’ll be in high heaven when going to the States.

I haven’t taken it out on the road yet but from my home, with a GPS antenna, it fixed fast and I can go all over the places in Thailand!

So my GPS toys now are: Nuvi 200W, BGT 31, a Chinese made iPhone4 with GPS and two Chinese made 7” GPS tablets (one in the car and one in the house). Yes, I know I need to get a life! Yes, my wife rolls her eyes too!

I enjoy doing the DIY (do-it-yourself) project even though there is no external support other than yourself and the GPS related websites. I’m not an expert by any means but all my GPS map software both Thailand and USA are DIY projects. I even used the Chinese made 7” GPS with USA maps the last time I was in California. It was such a fun having two GPS navigation systems running in the rental car (mine and Hertz navigator system) and saw my wife suffering as a captive audience!

Please PM me if I can be of any help. Cheers.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by jackspratt » June 11, 2011, 9:45 pm

If I was looking for the latest Thailand map (which I am not), I would start here:

http://www.noeman.org/gsm/garmin-maps/2 ... post702693

wazza
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by wazza » June 12, 2011, 5:14 pm

There is also thw Garmin Shop in MBK ( BKK ) far left hand corner where all the phones are sold . Level 4 ?

430xc
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by 430xc » June 13, 2011, 3:38 pm

Thank you, I will follow up on all the suggestions
430xc

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

GPS in Thailand

Post by Little Italian Udon » June 14, 2011, 10:38 am

happy with my nokia maps in my N E72. Gps is very fast

Sateev
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by Sateev » June 14, 2011, 2:51 pm

When you get your GPS, and you want a good Italian meal, navigate to: N 17.39770, E 102.79837

Please do not use for airstrikes.

BTW: not affiliated, just a fan.

430xc
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by 430xc » June 28, 2011, 9:44 am

I readily admit my lack of knowledge of GPS etc. I contacted gadgetrend and they can sell me Thailand Street Mab V11.1 for 2000 baht. Thad does not include the sd card and MapSource for PC.

Do I have to but a copy of MapSource to load to my computer? Can it be downloaded inexpensively or free from the internet?

I got on the Garmin site and they have a map program listed for Southeast Asia for $99 US. I wonder that since this program covers such a large area, if the Thailand info is detailed enough.

Is it better to wait until I get to Bangkok to buy and install a map program.

Thanks

jackspratt
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by jackspratt » June 28, 2011, 10:01 am

I have sent you a PM, 430.

eagle
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by eagle » June 28, 2011, 12:03 pm

l.italianrestaurant wrote:happy with my nokia maps in my N E72. Gps is very fast
I have Nokia 5800 and I installed Garmin Mobile XT to it. Using that I have Garmin Thailand Street Map v11.1 installed to my phone and it works extremely well. Just a small memory problem and fast zooming freezes screen for a while. Navigating still works if no zoom is used.

PRichard
udonmap.com

GPS in Thailand

Post by PRichard » July 1, 2011, 9:25 am

Here’s an update from my previous post on my Nuvi 200W USA OS with Thailand maps v11.1 downloaded from a web site.

When I took it out for road tests there were several errors running the Thai maps v11.1 from the SD card. Some trips were good and other times the unit just went frozen dead while driving. It was definitely a no-go for a navigation tool with that set up.

I then decided to mess with the flash memory since I have nothing to lose (I already have 3 other GPS units working perfectly with Thai maps). After I backed up the original flash content to my main computer I deleted the USA map (gmapprom.img) from the ‘Garmin’ folder in the flash memory. Then I copied all the Thai maps from my SD card to the ‘Garmin’ folder in the flash memory (3 files: gmapsupp.img, gmap3D.img, JCV111DU.JCV). I renamed the Thai map gmapsupp.img to its original name gmapprom.img. I removed the SD card and turned on the 200W. It loaded the Thai map successfully from the flash memory and all other functions seemed to be working fine.

I did road tests on several occasions including a night trip with several stop and go destinations. All went well with no glitches whatsoever. My 200W performed as expected. I liked the re-calculate feature when I intentionally strayed off course. After a few verbal instructions telling me to make a U turn it eventually recalculated a new route. It was kind of fun convincing the computer to go along with you. Hehe …

It worked! I spent zero baht and I had fun doing it.

I would love to hear from anyone who’s doing DIY projects with Garmin units so that I can learn more about it. Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Return to “Travel & Transport”