Udon Thani Immigration Office

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » September 26, 2011, 6:30 pm

Tell her to go to Laos and renter Thailand on her Thai passport.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 26, 2011, 6:46 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:- what are the current hours of the AEK Udon immigration office?

- I've got a neice-in-law (dual Thai-Brit) who came back to Thailand about a month ago cause her Dad had a serious stroke. She came in on her Brit passport and needs to extend her 30 day visa since she's providing primary care for her Dad who is now in Nong Han Amphoe hospital. Her Dad is still in critical condition. I've suggested that she get a letter from the hospital and take it to the Immigration office in Aek Udon and ask if it can be extended.. Any comments or suggestions
AEK Immigration no longer exist. Udon immigration is located at the police station just off Phosi rd. From the traffic circle heading towards Nong Prajak, past the intersection with RED TOSHIBA make the next left. You should see a sign on the corner UDON IMMIGRATION, located in the light blue building. The office is ready for biz at 0830.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 26, 2011, 7:00 pm

She can also go to Laos as Coxo suggested, but time consuming and probably unnecessary.

If she has all the appropriate documentation she should get a 90day ext. Read more here. Open and scroll down to 2.25

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/do ... 551_en.pdf

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/do ... 551_en.pdf

Not sure if there's a fee, if there is probably 1900bt.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 26, 2011, 7:47 pm

The Udon office closes at 4:30PM.

Wife and I renewed stay, got reentry permits, and 90day checks......no extra charges, nothing extra to buy, smiles all around, in about an hour.

While we were doing our paperwork, another expat was in need of some photos. The lady waiting on him went to the back room, brought out a camera, snapped a set of 4 photos of him standing against a white wall, and printed them out in the back room. I don't know if there was a charge for the service, but I thought it nice that they even offered to do it!

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 27, 2011, 1:49 am

FrazeeDK, go with Coxo's advice. Why mess around with visas if she has the right to be here without one? She might not even have to go to Laos; she can check with Immigration.

Parrot, aren't we lucky to have such a friendly and accommodating immigration office? I would bet it makes expats living in other parts of Thailand green with envy.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 27, 2011, 8:43 am

rickfarang wrote:FrazeeDK, go with Coxo's advice. Why mess around with visas if she has the right to be here without one? She might not even have to go to Laos; she can check with Immigration.

Parrot, aren't we lucky to have such a friendly and accommodating immigration office? I would bet it makes expats living in other parts of Thailand green with envy.
Seems to me she could stay here forever with no questions since she has a Thai Passport and a Thai ID card; however, since she entered on a Brit passport then she will exit on the Brit passport. That's the time that she will have to explain why she overstayed without extending her visa in the Brit passport...penalities, harrassment, God knows what other complications...go get the visa!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » September 27, 2011, 9:08 am

Why not leave (visit to Lao) with the Brit Passport and re-enter on her Thai Passport, then before departing Thailand do another Lao run.....leave on her Thai Passport and re-enter on the Brit one (with a 14 day stay). Only negative would be the Lao fees at the border, but worth it if she'll be staying in Thailand for a significant amount of time and shopping in Lao (alcohol) can off-set the fees.

Do like the Udon Immigration Office.............fairly friendly and helpful. Lucky us!!!

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » September 27, 2011, 9:33 am

Mosquito wrote:Why not leave (visit to Lao) with the Brit Passport and re-enter on her Thai Passport, then before departing Thailand do another Lao run.....leave on her Thai Passport and re-enter on the Brit one (with a 14 day stay).
That's a bad piece of advice!
Updating this situation, young lad (22 years old) failed to take his old man's sage advice of seeking an opinion from Chiang Mai immigration officials first and decided to let the immigration officials at the airport, where he was easy prey with no options, make the decisions. Most interestingly, when he tried to depart on his new Thai passport the computers immediately showed that he had entered on his US passport. Indeed, he was not only obligated to depart on that same US passport, but despite the fact that he is now a full Thai citizen, was slapped with the full overstay fine for not extending his US visa in a timely manner.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/482 ... -passport/

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 27, 2011, 10:07 am

"Parrot, aren't we lucky to have such a friendly and accommodating immigration office? I would bet it makes expats living in other parts of Thailand green with envy."

Just as with informing the forum members that the American Embassy comes to Udon to help out the local American community, I'm merely trying to present the facts as they're evident to me. In the past 6 months, I've read (on a variety of forums) that:
- Fixed bank accounts aren't accepted for retirement visas.
- Immigration people were surly
- Additional documents were required beyond those needed in past years
etc
I don't dispute any of that info.....but it didn't happen to me.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » September 27, 2011, 10:11 am

Note: Recommended doing it twice before departing Thailand heading back home!!!

Don't see any legal issues with doing this!!!!

Problem with the 22 year old, he entered with one and tried to depart with another. My way you are entering and departing Thailand under the same passport.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » September 27, 2011, 10:21 am

Thinking about it, I see what you mean............my way they'd be a limbo status in Lao on the passport!!!
Thai passport not showing how she got into Lao!!!

Sorry for the bad advice (might need another cup of coffee)!!!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 27, 2011, 12:33 pm

Just follow the normal proceedure for extension to stay. Mixing up those pasports as explained above is to confusing and asking for trouble But I would just follow the normal law. If she is in her normal time on her viosa she can get that aznyone can no need for a letter. He is spot on just follow the m normal proceedures. If the extension time runs out go back to Udpmn tell them waht the problem is and then it would eb a good time for the letter.

Thai Immigration is not inhuman, there have been instances where they even visited the hospital to extend an annual visa when someone is ill.

Be truthful with them they will do all they can to help

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » September 27, 2011, 12:48 pm

There is no hassle, she leaves Thailand on her British passport to avoid overstay then renters on her Thai passport, my son has left Thailand twice, departs Thailand on his Thai passport, arrives in the next country (Aus & Sing) on his Aussie passport, departs on his Aussie passport and renters Thailand on his Thai passport, no drama.

Jed
udonmap.com

Post by Jed » September 27, 2011, 1:04 pm

Agree with the above. Immigration advised me to do so this way with my kids as well.

We did, with no questions asked, no problems or worries.

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » September 27, 2011, 5:52 pm

stargate wrote:my 90 day report was dueon the 4th and retirement visa expired on the 5th so on the 4th go for renewal. first stop kasikorn main bank for statement, after 30 minwait they tell me i must go to my own branch where i find the man who does the letters is not in.. go for immagration for 90 day report. the wife is with me and as soon as we are in the door she is telling the man she thinks is the boss the saga of the bank. i fill in the visa extension form and 10 mins latter i am paying 2000 baht for new visa and wife is telling the officer keep the 100 b. what i want to know is was i just very lucky to get the renewal without thia bank details or is this the norm when getting a renewal
Stargate..Exactly the same as my experience...except I had to draw a map....15 minutes and I was out the door..And I do not have and have never had a Thai bank acct....I keep all my funds in the US and as we need them, we use an ATM and withdraw that funds...I was asked if I had a Thai bank acct and I told her that I had never had one...I brought along copies od my last 6 months statements from my stateside bank, but she never asked for them...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 27, 2011, 5:58 pm

stoneman, what type of visa/extension do you have?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 27, 2011, 6:23 pm

stoneman wrote:
stargate wrote:my 90 day report was dueon the 4th and retirement visa expired on the 5th so on the 4th go for renewal. first stop kasikorn main bank for statement, after 30 minwait they tell me i must go to my own branch where i find the man who does the letters is not in.. go for immagration for 90 day report. the wife is with me and as soon as we are in the door she is telling the man she thinks is the boss the saga of the bank. i fill in the visa extension form and 10 mins latter i am paying 2000 baht for new visa and wife is telling the officer keep the 100 b. what i want to know is was i just very lucky to get the renewal without thia bank details or is this the norm when getting a renewal
Stargate..Exactly the same as my experience...except I had to draw a map....15 minutes and I was out the door..And I do not have and have never had a Thai bank acct....I keep all my funds in the US and as we need them, we use an ATM and withdraw that funds...I was asked if I had a Thai bank acct and I told her that I had never had one...I brought along copies od my last 6 months statements from my stateside bank, but she never asked for them...
Almost a year ago I applied for extension based on Retirement. I was advised by the immigration officer that if I exceeded the monthly income requirement (in excess of 65,000 a month) they would not require bank statements. If I was right at 65K or a little under than they would ask for bank statements and a bank letter of confirmation (based on on Embassy Income Letter).

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 27, 2011, 10:35 pm

Stoneman's and Papaguido's accounts are consistent with the current requirement of having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, or a 65,000 baht per month income, or a combination of annual income + deposit in a Thai bank totaling at least 800,000 baht.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 28, 2011, 10:33 am

That's very true but that said on my lat extension they required both the embassy letter and the bank letter that is with bringing in 100K a month. It's always up to the officer's discretion of what he/she requires. Example I'm on a single visa I had to draw map to , my wife's home and I did present them with a yellow book, I explained that I was not here on a marriage visa didn't mean a thing That was last May.

The year before they were happy with the Embassy Letter. I will get that letter a few weeks before hand I will ask if they want a banks letter.

I think in this thread you will find a post where a guy received a heavy fine for being late on filing his 90 day . Since then guys have been warned with no fine.

To live here you have to adjust you conform to what they want. It doesn't matter what we think.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 28, 2011, 11:32 am

bumper wrote: (some text removed for clarity)
To live here you have to adjust you conform to what they want. It doesn't matter what we think.

You're sure right about that part!

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”