Nong Prajak Park

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 6, 2011, 6:32 pm

I'm drafting a blog post about Nong Prajak Park and I've hit a brick wall.

I visit Udon Thani three times a year (I live in the UK) and have been to Nong Prajak many times before but only in the morning. The main purpose of going to the park has been to eat at the outside cafe's opposite, and then to walk off those magnificent minced pork rolls with a stroll around the park. I have plenty of photos of Nong Prajak but lack real information about activities that take place there. I've never been to the park in the evening and what little information I've gleaned from the internet and forums about Nong Prajak is a year or so old. Could someone provide a bit of background and information about the park along the lines of:

What year was Nong Prajak Park opened?
Does it ever hold a day or night market?
I've read there is evening massage there, is it still there and what type of massage? (foot or body, or both)
Does it ever hold any concerts or exhibitions?
Can you still feed the fish by the bridge?
I know joggers run around the park but are exercise classes held there?

Any information would be most helpful and very much appreciated.

Thanks

rick
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by rick » November 6, 2011, 8:26 pm

What year was Nong Prajak Park opened?
- That i do not know.
Does it ever hold a day or night market?
- Every night there are many stalls open, less in the day. I wouldn't strictly call it a night market - mainly food and massage.
I've read there is evening massage there, is it still there and what type of massage? (foot or body, or both)
- A whole row of them, foot and body.
Does it ever hold any concerts or exhibitions?
- Certainly Music entertainment is available during other events, such as Loy Krathong.
Can you still feed the fish by the bridge?
- Yes.
I know joggers run around the park but are exercise classes held there?
- Aerobics in the evening.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by old-timer » November 6, 2011, 8:50 pm

Martyn wrote: I know joggers run around the park
OT has jogged around Nong Prajak in the early morning many times trying to get over a thick head and a belly full of beer from the night before. In my state I've run the wrong way into on coming chinese athletes who mutter something whilst chewing on their cucumber. By the time I make to the fire station I u turn back to the pavement foodstalls and get stuck into half a dozen vietnam rolls. If you get caught running in the cycle lane you will get ten years in prison so be careful.

OT............ \:D/

papaguido
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by papaguido » November 6, 2011, 9:26 pm

Besides jogging, biking and aerobics there are other activities such inline-skating, skate boarding and BMX cycling.

parrot
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by parrot » November 6, 2011, 9:48 pm

A quickie translation of http://www.udonthani.com/nongprajuk.htm, says the park was referred to as the "salty swamp (Nong Na Gleuah)" before the city was established. It's located in the western part of the city. The park was established to honor Prince Prajak Silapakom who founded the city. The park was given a make-over in 1987 to honor an individual's 60th birthday (5th cycle).

A look over 200 google pages in Thai reveals no date when the park was established.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 7, 2011, 5:02 am

Rick, old-timer, papaguido and parrot.

Thank you for the information, a billion bytes and 24 hours of my time surfing the net wouldn't have produced as many facts.

If I may, I'd like to ask one or two more things.

Am I right in assuming any concerts take place on the large paved area facing the fire station.

Am I right, to assume once again, that the 'night market' is along the road where the hospital is. Is the market just food stalls or are there other things. I read something about paint-your-own pottery stands.

Are the aerobics held on the paved area or in the garden area?

I read a reference to hiring rowing boats on the lake and I'm sure I've seen pedalo's too. Can you take a boat or pedalo out onto the lake?

Once again a big thank you for all your help.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by trubrit » November 7, 2011, 6:43 am

You might be interested to know . The park and surrounding streets have been declared a "No Alchohol" zone. There is a big fine to pay if caught with a bottle inside and the many food vendors around the area are forbidden to serve it. Your not even allowed to take your own, that's why I stopped going. :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by parrot » November 7, 2011, 3:51 pm

I finally gave up on finding the date that Nongprajak was dedicated. My search on google tells me that plagiarism is rife in Thailand as there is, what seems like, one paragraph that talks about the history of the park on the web. I reviewed university papers, city announcements, tour guide descriptions, and individual trip reports of the park. To a word, they're all the same.
So......inquiring minds.......led me to the Udon Museum where I posed my question to a bevy of young girls at the front desk. They didn't know. I suggested that there might be someone older (phuyai) who works in the museum who might know. There was some mumbling and eye movement to the upstairs area, but no one volunteered to inquire further. They asked why I wanted to know........and I told them 'curiosity'.
I asked if they might be able to find out, could they call me. I got blank stares and they asked if I could come back to inquire with some of the seniors when they're available. I left. Sigh!

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by greatsnake » November 7, 2011, 4:43 pm

trubrit wrote:You might be interested to know . The park and surrounding streets have been declared a "No Alchohol" zone. There is a big fine to pay if caught with a bottle inside and the many food vendors around the area are forbidden to serve it. Your not even allowed to take your own, that's why I stopped going. :-"
No problem, a few meters from 7/11 is one of the cheaper places in Udon to drink. Can't see the lake, but I've spend several nice afternoons there.

It is a pity about the drinking ban though.

Shado
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Shado » November 7, 2011, 5:20 pm

parrot wrote: "I asked if they might be able to find out, could they call me. I got blank stares and they asked if I could come back to inquire with some of the seniors when they're available. I left. Sigh!"

I guess asking them about the name origin of "Nutty Park" would be out of the question then. :roll:

Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 7, 2011, 6:21 pm

Trubrit - Thanks for the information about Nong Prajak being an alcohol free zone. That's definitely worth including in my review.

Parrot - Thank you for doing your best to find out when the park was first opened, I guess we'll never know. I have been to the museum myself and enjoyed the experience, albeit for an hour or so. I have written a post about the museum but I don't know if I'm allowed to supply the link. If not, it will be moderated out which is fair enough. You may have problems loading it up because my host server is having problems at the moment. Hopefully they'll have sorted it by now.

http://www.thaisabai.org/2011/07/udon-t ... new-shoes/

Cheers

stargate
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by stargate » November 7, 2011, 8:55 pm

martyn, the paint a pot stalls are near the massage booths, the paved areas near the firestation and the main entrance on the other side of the lake are for concerts and aerobics.opposite the Udon hospital the road is used as a car park for hospital visitors, there also food stalls. never seen boats on the lake , to me it seems ideal for them.

TJ
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by TJ » November 8, 2011, 6:01 am

The somewhat upscale Good Everything restaurant is located a hundred meters from the park. Jan Condotel hotel (500 baht rooms) is just off the park across from theThai museum. Other decent hotels nearby.

Hundreds of candle lit lanterns will be floating away from the park during the night of Loy Krathong.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by old-timer » November 8, 2011, 1:14 pm

Martyn
If you check out this thread you will find some great pictures lee posted of loy krathong at nong prajak.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/l ... t2710.html

They have the same thing every year with what seems like the whole of Udon Thani in attendance

The thread is from a few years back and to save any confusion trubrit was know as Valentine then, it was before he had a sex change.

OT................. \:D/

trubrit
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by trubrit » November 8, 2011, 1:50 pm

old-timer wrote:Martyn
If you check out this thread you will find some great pictures lee posted of loy krathong at nong prahttp://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/loy-krathong-t2710.html

They have the same thing every year with what seems like the whole of Udon Thani in attendance

The thread is from a few years back and to save any confusion trubrit was know as Valentine then, it was before he had a sex change.

OT................. \:D/
Nice flashback OT. God how gentlemanly we all were in those days . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 8, 2011, 3:31 pm

Thanks for all the new information. Most helpful and Lee's photos are quite stunning.

I'm currently working nights and absolutely knackered. I'm off work Thursday and I'll digest all the new facts then and comment.

Cheers.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by Martyn » November 11, 2011, 5:34 am

Thank you to everyone who responded to my plea for help in drafting my post about Nong Prajak Park. Your help has been fantastic and without it my post would not have been possible. I am happy to say I have now completed the article.

I would like to add that having visited a few Thailand forums in the past, and read many topics about the country, Udonmap is without doubt the top banana on the forum tree. I have visited this forum on and off during the past year or so , much more lately, and I find it to be a great resource about Udon Thani. And even more importantly, the members of the forum discuss the topics in a very friendly, supportive and at times humorous way. Keep up the good work and I will continue to view and add any help where and when possible.

Cheers with a Chang and not a lao khao.
Martyn

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by bamakmak » November 12, 2011, 3:52 pm

I just spoke with an older Thai gentleman who has lived in Udon his entire life and is very influential with local officials. I asked him when Nong Prajak park was built. As it turns out, he was on the planning coommission that developed the park.

According to him, the park was created in 1984 at a cost of 300 million THB. Paid 30% by Udon Thani and 70% by the national government.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Nong Prajak Park

Post by marshbags » November 12, 2011, 6:22 pm

Prachak Silpakhom Lake ( prior to being renamed Nong Prajak Park )

Located in the Udon Thani Municipality, this giant pond has existed before the establishment of Udon Thani town. Lying to the west of the town, it was formerly called “Nong Na Klue” (pond of salty water) and later changed to “Nong Prachak” in honor of Major General HRH Prince Prachaksinlapakhom, the founder of Udon Thani town. In 1987, the Udon Thani Municipality improved the pond as a royal tribute to individual Rama IX on the auspicious occasion of his 50th birthday anniversary. On an island in the pond, a small garden is filled with decorative and flowering plants, and there is a bridge linking the island with the mainland. Within the park, there is a fountain, a clock tower, and a playground. It serves as a place of recreation and exercise for the public.

Unquote

I find this particular location one of the best parks and exercise areas I have the pleasure to use on a regular basis.

The gardeners keep the place looking beatutiful and are always improving the flowering arrangements.

On occassions like Loy Krathong they make sure the park is cleaend very quickly.

Come Song Kran time even though it is a near imposible task to keep it reasonable, they always make a point of getting rid of the filth and disgusting remnants left scattered all over the place by many who should know better.

It can appear a thankless task and while many do not care / appreciate their efforts many others do.

Well done all who contribute to the many wonderful views and always have a smile for everyone, we thank you very much indeed.

marshbags =D>

P.S.

If only the authorities would do something about the many complaints regarding the idiots on their m. cycles who are using the upper track as a highway and seemingly think it is there for their convenience.

I wonder when someone will get hurt or killed by these lunatics.

Let us hope something is done to restore it to an exercise areabfore it is to late.

If anyone on the forum has any influence please pass on our concerns to someone who will do something about it.

christiemln
udonmap.com

Re: Nong Prajak Park

Post by christiemln » October 16, 2018, 3:58 pm

I heard a story from a grandmother of a teacher that around 60 - 80 years ago there were fresh water crocodiles living in Nong Prajak park! Can anyone confirm this?

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”