Salt grinders.

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
douglas
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by douglas » November 12, 2011, 5:04 pm

Hi,
Hope someone can help. Searched all over for salt grinders in Udon. Tried The three Tesco's and the two Big C's and a lot of other places. Can get the pepper grinders but not salt. Wife said a pepper one will do. Tried to explain the difference, and the diffrent types of blades on them, but fell on deaf ears. When we got home she filled the pepper grinder with the sea salt i use. Did not work properly, at least she knows the diff. now.
Hope someone can help, don't ask what happened to the last one.
Cheers Doug.

davecryan
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by davecryan » November 12, 2011, 5:34 pm

Douglas

What happened to the last one ? :shock:

Thanks for PM :D

Manadon
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by Manadon » November 12, 2011, 6:51 pm

Go to Ngee Soon Superstore close to Tesco by the airport. Walk in, go to your right, towards the last isle. You will see the "impot" section. Large pepper and salt grinders.

wazza
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by wazza » November 12, 2011, 10:49 pm

From memory, Tops have the McCormacks Rock salt already in a prepacked bottle for you, but not sure if you can re use it after.

douglas
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by douglas » November 15, 2011, 1:59 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Wazza, got one of them prefilled ones, no you cannot refill them, at least i could not. Manadon, was in Ngee Soon stores, by A/P. Must of missed them, now i have directions i will try tomorrow.
Again thank you all.

douglas
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by douglas » November 18, 2011, 11:31 am

Hi,
Went to Ngee stores and looked where you said. Could not find them. Went with a Thai person and she could not find them. Asked staff and showed him my broken one. He just smiled and said have none. Help.
These things are elusive like the Scarlet Pimpernel.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by papaguido » November 18, 2011, 2:48 pm

douglas wrote:Hi,
Went to Ngee stores and looked where you said. Could not find them. Went with a Thai person and she could not find them. Asked staff and showed him my broken one. He just smiled and said have none. Help.
These things are elusive like the Scarlet Pimpernel.
I think Manadon was referring to the pre-fillled one by McCormick, because that's the only type of grinder they carry in the "import section".

Makro has grinders, but don't know if they're suitable for sea/rock salt.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by fdimike » November 18, 2011, 8:07 pm

Have you tried the 3rd floor in Robinsons just outside Tops? They have a large selection of kitchen utensils etc.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

old-timer
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by old-timer » November 20, 2011, 2:39 pm

Talking about salt, what"s the difference other than the price of sea salt granules and normal salt ? They both taste the same and make things saltier by adding more.

OT................ \:D/

douglas
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by douglas » November 20, 2011, 2:55 pm

Hi,
fdimike. I must be loosing it, never thought about there. I've not been that way since they started the costruction. Have to go down to the pet shops round the corner from there, on Wednesday. Pap. Will also call into Makro on the way down. Yes that pic. was the only type i found, and you can't refill them, i tried.
O.T. There is a lot of difference. They don't taste the same, i prefer the pure sea salt, than the rock salt. My prefrence. Also the main difference, IMO, is the chemicals they mix in the "normal", or Iodized refined salt, to make it run easy etc. I don't use a lot of salt but i prefer to get something i like and is bettrer for me.
Thank you all Doug.

Shado
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by Shado » November 20, 2011, 3:07 pm

The wife bought some salt; Prung Thip brand. Has an expiration date on it. What the heck it that all about?

KB_Texas

Salt grinders.

Post by KB_Texas » November 20, 2011, 3:10 pm

While in Robinsons today, I took a look in the kitchen area. They have ceramic grinders that *may* work as salt grinders. They have a Salt and Pepper grinder set, but the salt does not have a grinder. The cost of the ceramic grinder was 185 baht I think. The reason I say it may work is because the label said it could be adjusted to extra-coarse. They are a bit larger than a bottle of McCormick (and looked to be a bit larger than the picture) spices in the US. They did not have any single purpose salt grinders that I could see.

KB
Last edited by KB_Texas on November 20, 2011, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KB_Texas

Salt grinders.

Post by KB_Texas » November 20, 2011, 3:11 pm

Shado wrote:The wife bought some salt; Prung Thip brand. Has an expiration date on it. What the heck it that all about?
Must be the fillers, because pure salt lasts millions of years in the absence of water. ;)

KB

douglas
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by douglas » November 20, 2011, 4:07 pm

Hi,
Agree with KB. It must be all the junk, additives or e-numbers, they add to it. Thats why i prefer pure sea salt. The last packet i got, about 18 months ago, Costa sea salt, produce of France, has no use by date on it. Just tried some, used the old P. and M. to crush it, tastes great, on the home grown toms.
Doug.

Shado
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by Shado » November 20, 2011, 4:20 pm

douglas wrote: "It must be all the junk, additives or e-numbers, they add to it."

Checked the ingredient list. Only ingredient other than salt was 0.005% iodine. Does iodine go bad?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by papaguido » November 20, 2011, 5:08 pm

fdimike. I must be loosing it, never thought about there. I've not been that way since they started the costruction. Have to go down to the pet shops round the corner from there, on Wednesday. Pap. Will also call into Makro on the way down. Yes that pic. was the only type i found, and you can't refill them, i tried.
O.T. There is a lot of difference. They don't taste the same, i prefer the pure sea salt, than the rock salt. My prefrence. Also the main difference, IMO, is the chemicals they mix in the "normal", or Iodized refined salt, to make it run easy etc. I don't use a lot of salt but i prefer to get something i like and is bettrer for me.
Thank you all Doug.
Don't waist your time, was the the other day and only saw pepper grinders.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by papaguido » November 20, 2011, 5:14 pm

Agree with KB. It must be all the junk, additives or e-numbers, they add to it. Thats why i prefer pure sea salt. The last packet i got, about 18 months ago, Costa sea salt, produce of France, has no use by date on it. Just tried some, used the old P. and M. to crush it, tastes great, on the home grown toms.
Doug.
Makro has sea salt (Thai brand). Don't know if it's as pure or as good as Costa sea salt, but it's there and I prefer it over regular table salt. What I haven't been able to find kosher salt.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by papaguido » November 20, 2011, 5:25 pm

old-timer wrote:Talking about salt, what"s the difference other than the price of sea salt granules and normal salt ? They both taste the same and make things saltier by adding more.

OT................ \:D/
Q: What is the difference between kosher salt, sea salt, and table salt?

A: For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.

Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.

Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving intact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts are usually expensive, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved.

Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts.
Food Network Kitchens

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by JimboPSM » November 20, 2011, 9:30 pm

There was a discussion on BBC radio a few days ago on rock salt v table salt and I found this article on the BBC Health website:
Sea salt health claims 'flawed'
By Helen Briggs Health editor, BBC News

Rock and sea salt is no different from ordinary table salt, despite claims it is natural and more healthy, say consumer groups.

Research for Which? and Consensus Action on Salt and Health found no difference in chemical content between regular salt and costly gourmet brands.

Manufacturers dispute the report saying it does not give the full picture...

The research analysed the chemical content of several gourmet brands of sea and rock salt, and compared this with ordinary table salt.

They say all contain almost 100% sodium chloride and are equally damaging to health in large quantities....

The report says brands claiming some salts are more natural and contain essential minerals are confusing the public.

An online survey of 1,358 members of Which? found around one in three admitted thinking that rock and sea salts were healthier than table salt.

Which? chief policy adviser Sue Davies said: "Many of us are trying to reduce the amount of salt in our diet, but our research shows that people are needlessly spending more money on 'premium' salt as they often believe it's healthier than traditional table salt....

David Lea-Wilson, co-owner of the Anglesey Sea Salt Company, which makes Halen Mon Pure White Sea Salt, disputed the research.

He told the BBC: "This report is not giving a full picture by not going into the other things in either sea salt or the additives in table salt."

Romi Alexander of So Natural, which supplies Himalayan Crystal Salt, said: "Table salt is a highly refined, processed white substance that's devoid of nutrients."

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15757517
For those who want to understand more about the impact of salt usage on health this an article on the BBC Health website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/ ... salt.shtml

On a couple of personal notes:
  • 1. I'm one of those who thouught rock salt was healthier; I’ve been using rock salt at home for years and have no plans to change in the near future as I’ve enough in stock to last a couple of years.

2. When in Thailand I have to increase my salt intake to reduce problems I get with cramps that occur because of the increased loss of body salt from sweating because of the bl**dy hot climate.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

leehut
udonmap.com

Salt grinders.

Post by leehut » November 21, 2011, 3:29 am

What is the stuff they sell on the side of the road near Ban Dung? Rock salt or flake? I really like Maldon Salt when in the UK ( their smoked salt is stunning ) http://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/Products%20 ... 0Salt.html

Return to “Health & Beauty”