Buying Computer for Thai G/F

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » February 6, 2012, 1:53 am

I will be in Udon and other cities in LOS in about 6 weeks. I need to get my lady a computer, probably a laptop or netbook. Most of our communication, (8 to 18 hours per week) is done over MSN Messenger. Currently, she can use a computer at her work. This will be changing since she is needing to relocate out of the Udon area.

I see a couple of options available to me and would like some input from forum members. First option is to just give her my 2 year old Asus EeePC 1000. It has been nearly flawless for me. Second, buy a new netbook here (Seattle) and bring it to her. I can get an updated model of my netbook for about $300 USD. Third, I can try to buy a new computer for her in Thailand. Fourth, I can look for a used notebook/netbook that may be available from someone on the forum.

She has good reading/writing English skills, so she does not necessarily need a Thai keyboard.

What input and advice do forum members have? Thanks

430XC

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 6, 2012, 2:13 am

Giver your old Asus EeePC 1000, to begin with. If, for some inexplicable reason, she need something more, you can always buy something more upscale. But the Asus is more than adequate.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 6, 2012, 8:36 am

Rick has the correct answer I believe.

Any of your 'American' options sounds better than waiting & buying in Udon.
If you feel that she should have a new model then at 300USD buy there & bring with you.
You will not get much of a new netbook here for 9,000 baht & second hand ones are a bit of a gamble waiting for. In a shop a good spec. laptop will probably cost you nearer 10,000 baht even second hand.

kumphawapi
udonmap.com

Post by kumphawapi » February 6, 2012, 1:58 pm

Also agree that the Asus EecPC is a good choice. Built in camera is reasonable quality for Skype.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » February 6, 2012, 6:17 pm

I bought an Asus X43B TH6458 at Panthip Plaza in Bangkok 14,500 thb for the wife, if you havent been there its five levels of electronics all at reasonable prices, they started at about 9,000thb.
Personally I would buy from Thailand for two reasons, first being the warranty, I have just had to replace the battery on ours, second if your GF lives here having the Thai language makes the PC user friendly for her, she can communicate with her friends and family in her native tongue, if she needs to use it for business or seeking information she has that option also, I think a lot more practical for her with the Thai option.

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 6, 2012, 6:51 pm

Hi

I have a Laptop, Compaq Presario CQ40 bought in Thailand about 3 years ago, w Win XP (not Oe of course...). battery is TOTALLY dead but works with out any problem w power supply. The fan make some noice from time to time but have done so for the last 1,5 year. Could be something for her until you get here an buy her a proper one...

It will be yours/her's for 1000 Baht.

If interested, send me an email, [email protected]

Also have two IBM/Lenovo but with Swedish keybord but may not the best solution...

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » February 7, 2012, 11:08 am

I think you're missing the most obvious choice. Buy her an Android smartphone. That way she'll be able to use it with WiFi and with her SIM card via EDGE/3G. You can also use it with Latitude to see where she is at any particular moment :D

And yes, you can use MSN chat, or any other chat with it, including Skype. Oh, and you can install a Thai keyboard on it as well (free). =D>

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » February 7, 2012, 2:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. Some good points. Since I will be in LOS in about 6 weeks, I will check out some of the options mentioned. I will have my netbook with me, so if that is the best choice, not a problem.

I have not thought about the smart phone idea. Something to look into. I am not sure if that is a good option to use for 2 hours per day though

I think it is possible to have a Thai/English keyboard put on my Asus.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 7, 2012, 9:36 pm

430xc wrote: .... I think it is possible to have a Thai/English keyboard put on my Asus.
You are correct you can get a very inexpensive Thai/English keyboard and plug it into a USB port on the laptop, then add Thai as a language for keyboard.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » February 7, 2012, 11:11 pm

Stantheman wrote:
430xc wrote: .... I think it is possible to have a Thai/English keyboard put on my Asus.
You are correct you can get a very inexpensive Thai/English keyboard and plug it into a USB port on the laptop, then add Thai as a language for keyboard.
Make sure you check the connector before you buy; some keyboards have the traditional connector not the USB connector.

I very nearly bought the wrong type a few months ago to bring back to the UK - the box it was in was incorrectly marked :shock:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

sabaidee_mike
udonmap.com

Post by sabaidee_mike » February 8, 2012, 1:21 pm

Give her the old one and treat yourself to a new toy.
I can recommend Asus' 12" range of Eeepc's. I've been using a 1201n as my travelling companion for 3 years now and I can't fault it. Even after spilling beer on the keyboard it still soldiers on.
The new range look sweet. This is the headliner...

http://usa.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/ASUSAUTO ... ee_PC_VX6/

Make sure you get it loaded with the maximum 4GB of RAM. I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit on mine and it flies! Has an HDMI connection too, so you can plug it into a TV or Projector to watch your downloaded movies/TV.

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » March 7, 2012, 2:57 pm

I am pretty sure I will leave my Asus netbook to my TGF to use when I leave LOS at the end of April. I am in the process of cleaning it up. What programs should I leave on the computer? I will be using it while I am in LOS for 1 month. I assume she will be using it mostly for MSN MEssenger and skype.

Suggestions about what things I should be very careful to take OFF the computer? Should I re-format the hard drive? I will ask her not to put a Thai version operating system on it since I will want to use it in a few months on my next trip.

Thanks

430xc

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 7, 2012, 4:01 pm

I personally wouldn't reformat the hard drive unless you have things on there that you would not want her to see. :D
Likewise with the programs I wouldn't delete anything unless you are having real space constraints on the hard drive.
Just tidy up the desktop & pin bar at the bottom so it only contained the few programs that she would regularly use.

If you have Windows 7 Ultimate as an operating system then it is pretty easy to download the Thai Language & keyboard as an 'add on'. Then, at the click of a couple of buttons, you can switch between the Thai & English...Very Easy.

If you have Microsoft Office it is also possible to download the Thai version add on for that.
Microsoft will try & charge you (about 200 baht) for the language pack, but, if you search the net, they are available absolutely legally & for nothing from some other sites.

If you have not got a virus checker then I would strongly recommend that you install something like Microsoft Security Centre & set it up to update & scan at weekly intervals.
Likewise with Windows, set for automatic update & install of Priority updates.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”