Trip to Vientiane

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
mhonigstock
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by mhonigstock » February 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

My wife and I would like to take a 3 day, 2 night trip to Vientiane, Laos. We would like to travel by bus and need recommendations on hotels in Vientiane within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and other attractions.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm on a budget, but not too tight of one. A "nice" hotel would be appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance.

Murray

old-timer
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by old-timer » February 12, 2012, 5:26 pm

Take a look at this thread started last week asking the same question:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... 24054.html

Hope it helps

OT................... \:D/

wiking
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by wiking » February 12, 2012, 7:48 pm

there os a lot off hotels in Vientiane

but it is helping a lot if people writing, from this to this, because in udon, you can have nice place for 350 baht but not in vientiane - I will say, nice maybe start at minium 600 baht

this place is a nice clean, I think today maybee 600-800 baht http://www.malinamphu.com/MSindex.htm

wiking
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by wiking » February 12, 2012, 7:49 pm

wiking
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by wiking » February 12, 2012, 7:53 pm

hansolo

Trip to Vientiane

Post by hansolo » February 13, 2012, 12:16 am

Hotel Khamvongsa is more like a B&B within a 5-minute walk to the riverside where the night market is and is also a short walk to several temples. US$35-40 with breakfast in a small courtyard. No restaurant but there are many restaurants in the area. No elevator. http://hotelkhamvongsa.com/

Best Western Vientiane is only a few ten steps from the river. I think it's about US$50.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by greatsnake » February 13, 2012, 2:33 am

mhonigstock wrote:My wife and I would like to take a 3 day, 2 night trip to Vientiane, Laos. We would like to travel by bus and need recommendations on hotels in Vientiane within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and other attractions.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm on a budget, but not too tight of one. A "nice" hotel would be appreciated.

Murray
I go to Vientiane quite often and to summarize:

1) There aren't really any good restaurants.

2) The shopping is less than Udon (that's why you see all of those Laos plates here). Prices are about 25% higher than Udon for most things, except beer and smokes.

3) There really aren't many attractions in Vientiane. Took my (Thai) wife the last time I went and after an hour of visiting the attractions, she declared that she was finished with this place and wanted to go back to Thailand.

Here is what Vientiane has: Bear Lao (relatively cheap), smokes (relatively cheap) and a few pleasant places to drink near the river.

You might want to stay at one of the guest houses near Hare & Hound (I usually stay at the one opposite the entrance).

Have fun!

rufus
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by rufus » February 13, 2012, 10:37 am

greatsnake wrote:
mhonigstock wrote:My wife and I would like to take a 3 day, 2 night trip to Vientiane, Laos. We would like to travel by bus and need recommendations on hotels in Vientiane within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and other attractions.

Murray
I go to Vientiane quite often and to summarize:

1) There aren't really any good restaurants.

2) The shopping is less than Udon (that's why you see all of those Laos plates here). Prices are about 25% higher than Udon for most things, except beer and smokes.

3) There really aren't many attractions in Vientiane. Took my (Thai) wife the last time I went and after an hour of visiting the attractions, she declared that she was finished with this place and wanted to go back to Thailand.

Here is what Vientiane has: Bear Lao (relatively cheap), smokes (relatively cheap) and a few pleasant places to drink near the river.

You might want to stay at one of the guest houses near Hare & Hound (I usually stay at the one opposite the entrance).

Have fun!
Well I live in Vientiane.
The comment about restaurants is ignorant. Vientiane has a number of excellent restaurants and indeed the range is FAR better than Udon. Alcohol - wine, beer and spirits - are far cheaper than in Thailand.
Everyday goods are a bit dearer than in Udon. There are, however, some excellent buys in silk, gold and silver. Lao silk is of higher quality than Thai.
There are lots of sites and things to do and you need at least 2 days to do Vientiane justice if you are interested in anything at all.

Hotel choices:
Lao Orchid Hotel, about $50 pn
Souphaphone guesthouse - $25.00 pn
Both of these are very central.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by jackspratt » February 13, 2012, 10:55 am

My visits to Vientiane (3 or 4) are far better reflected in rufus' post than greatsnake's - particularly the restaurants. =D>

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by greatsnake » February 13, 2012, 12:40 pm

rufus wrote: Well I live in Vientiane.
The comment about restaurants is ignorant. Vientiane has a number of excellent restaurants and indeed the range is FAR better than Udon. Alcohol - wine, beer and spirits - are far cheaper than in Thailand.
Everyday goods are a bit dearer than in Udon. There are, however, some excellent buys in silk, gold and silver. Lao silk is of higher quality than Thai.
There are lots of sites and things to do and you need at least 2 days to do Vientiane justice if you are interested in anything at all.

Hotel choices:
Lao Orchid Hotel, about $50 pn
Souphaphone guesthouse - $25.00 pn
Both of these are very central.
Good for you Rufus. I noticed that you didn't give any examples of these excellent restaurants .
Everyday goods are a bit dearer than in Udon.
WFT ?? In other words you agree with me that the VAST majority of things people reading this would buy are more expensive.
some excellent buys in silk, gold and silver. Lao silk is of higher quality than Thai.

Really, excellent buys in gold and silver??????????????? Good luck getting any action from the authorities if you get scammed. FYI, Laos is very much like Cambodia in its political situation (virtually no rule of law and both have whored themselves out to the PRC).

I've been traveling to Vientiane for many years, and quite honestly, it was a lot better 10 years ago than now. Prices have skyrocketed while the friendliness of the people has declined, particularly in Vientiane.

It will be interesting to hear the OP's account of his trip. Hopefully he'll give his account when he returns.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by greatsnake » February 13, 2012, 1:10 pm

One more thing for the OP's benefit, when you get a driver to take you from the Lao border to Vientiane, retain him to take you to the attractions (that will not be in walking distance to where you stay). Believe it or not, it is cheaper to hire an air-conditioned mini-van than to take the tuk-tuks. I strongly recommend you not have anything to do with them in Vientiane. Not only will they try to charge you more than the mini-van rate, they often will change their fees from what they agreed to at the beginning of the fare to what they ask for at the end.

Have fun in Laos \:D/

fatbob
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by fatbob » February 13, 2012, 4:57 pm

I have been to Vientiane about six times from 2 to 4 day visits, had a great time on every occasion, especially enjoy the Indian resturant next door to the Riverine Hotel where I always stay

hansolo

Trip to Vientiane

Post by hansolo » February 13, 2012, 11:21 pm

coxo, if it's Nazim restaurant, it's now across Lao Orchid Hotel.

hansolo

Trip to Vientiane

Post by hansolo » February 13, 2012, 11:40 pm

Sinnakhone Hotel is directly across Hare & Hound. A double room without window is 160,000K / US$20 with a simple breakfast, 180,000K with a window. There is a lift in this building which is rare in this price range. The beds are a little hard though.

If you are planning to pay in a currency other than the Lao Kip, make sure you ask the exchange rate used by the hotel/GH. My experience is many hotels/GHs in Vientaine use a ridiculously low exchange rate and you'll end up paying a lot more.

rufus
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by rufus » February 14, 2012, 1:42 pm

"Good for you Rufus. I noticed that you didn't give any examples of these excellent restaurants ."

Had you bothered to read some posts I made a while ago you would have seen the following, just to name a few:

Bistro 22 - outstanding Bistro style food, and BYO, no corkage
La Scala - one of the best Italian restaurants i have ever been to.
La Adresse d'Tinay
Ansara
Le Silapa

The above are classy

Bistro style -
La Terasse
Cote D'Azur
La Provencale - typical Provence style food - often has some specials. Can BYO

Lao food
Amphone- very classy Lao food
Tamnak Lao
Kua Lao

Have you eaten at any of these

Really, excellent buys in gold and silver??????????????? Good luck getting any action from the authorities if you get scammed. FYI, Laos is very much like Cambodia in its political situation (virtually no rule of law and both have whored themselves out to the PRC)."

Why should you get scammed?

"I've been traveling to Vientiane for many years, and quite honestly, it was a lot better 10 years ago than now. Prices have skyrocketed while the friendliness of the people has declined, particularly in Vientiane."

Prices have risen as they have risen everywhere. The people are as friendly as they always were. Perhaps you were rude? It does sound like you and your wife have an attitude problem towards Lao.

rufus
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by rufus » February 17, 2012, 8:06 am

Highly amusing. Greatsnake's posts can be compared to those of a seagull. - Flies in, makes a lot of noise, shits over everything, flies out and leaves the place in a mess. Not one comment on any restaurant I mentioned. I guess he hasn't been to any of them?

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by merchant seaman » February 17, 2012, 11:42 am

Been making visa runs to Vientiane for the pat 11 years. Great place, great people, and above all great resturants. Always wondered why udon couldn't meet the same standards, example the bread. Udon has improved but still look forward to trips to vientiane. Another plus for Laos are the visa requirements for living there and business oppurtunities ,tell them Rufus or maybe you won't sure you don't need anymore a--holes moving in.

rufus
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by rufus » February 18, 2012, 8:06 am

Already too many moving in M-S.

lee
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by lee » February 18, 2012, 1:18 pm

I always pay a visit to Joma Cafe & Restaurant (near Nam Phou Fountain) when in town, they have a great selection of coffee, sandwiches, subs, bagels etc. Their egg, bacon & cheese bagel is delicious! It would be nice to see something like this in Udon one day.
joma-bakery-vientiane.jpg

hippo
udonmap.com

Trip to Vientiane

Post by hippo » June 9, 2012, 12:36 pm

Can someone help me please? I write here not to open other topics. I wish to visit Laos, from Vientiane, Luang Prabang and then drop down to Pakse ... would use information about inexpensive guesthouse but livable. Thanks in advance.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: [-o< [-o<

Return to “Travel & Transport”