Any Successful Steel Houses Built near UdonThani?

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
sammyg
udonmap.com

Post by sammyg » February 9, 2011, 12:16 am

I remeber a few years ago of a metal house being built but I think it was a complete disaster as it was a pre-fab but not structurally sound if I'm correct? At any rate I'm still looking for any experiences someone may have had with this type construction,cost,successfulness and any contractors in the area that can do it at a reasonable fee.Looking for a singles story long,maybe 80'x25' with 12' over hang on sunny side.Thanks for any info. you can provide?SammyG :shock: :shock: :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Re: Any Successful Steel Houses Built near UdonThani?

Post by Aardvark » February 9, 2011, 5:27 am

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 9, 2011, 5:37 am

ron pcl
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by ron pcl » March 18, 2011, 3:03 pm

What do you mean with a steel house?...the roof?

ron pcl

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » January 30, 2012, 4:01 pm

Company in Vientaine doing fram cad steel homes, delivered to udon , only has a fram cad site up but can supply frame for kit home cladded, any one going over there might like to investigate, I will check out his operation next time in Udon, Stel a better light weight cooler solution than the red brick render system, if the operator gets it right there will be a good market here for the system

Kally
Master Builder

kumphawapi
udonmap.com

Post by kumphawapi » January 31, 2012, 3:14 am

This thin steel construction has much less room for error than other methods.
But there are some good sources on the Internet give detailed guides to rolled steel frame construction and design.
http://www.steelframing.org/PDF/SFA_Fra ... al%202.pdf
Other guides give very detailed instructions on where every length should be and every joint should be made.

pleelayuvat

Post by pleelayuvat » March 4, 2012, 8:47 pm

Hi, I worked as architect in Los Angeles, CA for a while and just came back to Thailand.
I am familiar with light gauge steel framing and was surprised that we don't use it here.
It is more appropriate to our climate than concrete. You can insulated the wall, wiring and plumbing is hidden.
Anyway, I'm helping my friend's company who is launching pre-fab, pre-engineered light gauge steel framing system.
It is a kt actually, they are made to order, pre drilled, labeled and you just put them together.
The system is from New Zealand. We are in Bangkok by the way.
Anyone interested, shoot me an email. I'm interested to hear what you think.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » March 5, 2012, 7:22 am

I may have read wrong,but A year ago on the forum someone was building A house from shipping containers.Or I thought so anyway.Maybe I read it wrong.

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » July 16, 2014, 11:29 am

Sawatdee
Margin of errors for CAD design work, no matter what systems, mostly occurs with additions, renovations on existing buildings. Especially if the buildings was built in the traditional ways where the builders were too good they don't need leveling tools :evil: It can be reduced by site visit and taking exact measurements.

The design can be previewed in 3D to minimize many possible errors. We find afterwards the customers would request some modifications after 'seeing' their design functionality.

On new job, as long as the ground floor is strictly monitored, leveled and exact (it can be achieved), the light metal frame design can be just a drop on the floor. Note anchoring points are important and need to be per-designed in, or thereafter one would rely on concrete bolts every 600-700mm on the base plates and more anchors on columns. The building code does not yet prescribed cyclonic tie downs, please allow N2=w33 33kms/hr wind + terrain affects.
Lots of attention is needed for anchoring and fixing, note of in shear screwing ie. not pull off screws that relies on only a few teeth grip.; for all interconnections and especially roof trusses.

It's all part of selecting the right supplier :) and inspector.

The light metal is fully certified metal eg. G550 unlike some 'black metal' 60% sub standard, and lots QC over joints and welding. Rust proofing also, not just red paint :(

Light metal frame is a viable alternative to building design, it can only be driven by better appreciation of the technology and its benefits: time, termite proof, rust proofed, straight, fire safe, electrical safe, higher standards etc.
Improved air circulation and ventilation in wall cavities through the roof ie. cooler homes, no damp marks on walls, no ugly electrical running everywhere (cable hidden in wall cavities). Unlike most foreigners, people complaint about gypsum board walls, but it can be made more solid with plaster boards over 6mm boards eg. Viva boards. or double 10mm gypsum boards.

Save $ if you can do some of the work yourself since the house is already engineered ready just for assembling and sub contracting. Easier to manage the finance in small sums per sub contracts.

Per linear price, design, prep, manufactured, construction time, logistics; it is cheaper that 'black metal' design and not far from concrete built (high same standards applies).

Termite problems can be minimized with ant caps, do it yourself: thin metal plates cover on stumps, running a plate along brick works (there are anti termites chemical impregnated sheets), green way : dig in compost in garden bed around the house, red ants nets (they fight, easier to control than termites), sand filled sub floor, 'sacrifice feed eg. corn cobs bed to attract away termites from house.

PM for more discussion :)
kumphawapi wrote:This thin steel construction has much less room for error than other methods.
But there are some good sources on the Internet give detailed guides to rolled steel frame construction and design.
http://www.steelframing.org/PDF/SFA_Fra ... al%202.pdf
Other guides give very detailed instructions on where every length should be and every joint should be made.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 16, 2014, 11:43 am

yup Plee...., seen them in NZ.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 16, 2014, 11:48 am

is this what your talking about..?
Attachments
steel frame house.jpg
steel frame house.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 9225 times

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » July 18, 2014, 8:37 am

maaka wrote:is this what your talking about..?
This job is in Vientiane, Laos, all metal frame long overhangs Thai/Lao wat roof style hence metal frame made to look like timber. Real timber beams for span needed was too expensive. "Black metal" solution would have been too heavy. Note roof are SCG tiles at 50kgs/m2.
Attachments
ASEM gate-1.jpg
It can be made to look like timber

qon
udonmap.com

Post by qon » July 18, 2014, 8:49 am

maaka wrote:is this what your talking about..?
Another good guide on light metal framing:
http://www.nash.asn.au/downloads/2007NA ... ide_02.pdf there are 2009 version on the net. 2010 only to members.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 18, 2014, 12:59 pm

http://www.luckybuilding.com/index2.php

not exactly steel, but of interest

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 18, 2014, 1:03 pm

pleelayuvat wrote:Hi, I worked as architect in Los Angeles, CA for a while and just came back to Thailand.
I am familiar with light gauge steel framing and was surprised that we don't use it here.
It is more appropriate to our climate than concrete. You can insulated the wall, wiring and plumbing is hidden.
Anyway, I'm helping my friend's company who is launching pre-fab, pre-engineered light gauge steel framing system.
It is a kt actually, they are made to order, pre drilled, labeled and you just put them together.
The system is from New Zealand. We are in Bangkok by the way.
Anyone interested, shoot me an email. I'm interested to hear what you think.
Siam Steel parts are delivered as container sized pallets

http://www.luckybuilding.com/index2.php

JWCole

Post by JWCole » April 13, 2018, 6:52 am

AussieBoy wrote:
January 30, 2012, 4:01 pm
Company in Vientaine doing fram cad steel homes, delivered to udon , only has a fram cad site up but can supply frame for kit home cladded, any one going over there might like to investigate, I will check out his operation next time in Udon, Stel a better light weight cooler solution than the red brick render system, if the operator gets it right there will be a good market here for the system

Kally
Did you ever get the name and contact details of this company?

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 14, 2018, 2:11 am

Yes I did , visited the factory, but I think they closed down, have not heard much about Laos operations from Framecad, email them they use Bluescope steel from australia, framecad design and build the machines, and supply the software to run it, so if any one in Thailand or Laos has one of their machines they will be able to tell you, Bluescope Steel has a plant in Khon Khan, not sure if the roll and make the steel frames, but they will point you in the right direction, 2 choices for you to chase up, they was a big company in Pucket Island rolling frames,

Peter Blythe is the man in the know on steel framing in OZ, check him out, give him a email, he may also be able tell you who has framing machine in Thailand Laos Veitnam, he's more than helpful,
Master Builder

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 15, 2018, 7:26 am

Aussie Bluescope in Thailand at link below.

Hope this helps.... Cheers Jorgo

Scroll down to the Thailand image and click there.

https://www.bluescope.com/about-us/where-we-are/

With the recent posts on termite problems, it could be a good move to consider steel.
Would be other considerations covering internal fixings but Kally would be the man to ask there.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 15, 2018, 10:51 pm

If they treat the timber pre purchases, LOSP to H1-H3 requirements there would be no problem, 10,000s houses built in OZ every year, very little complaints about termites, under slab treatment, stainless mesh for block walls, termimesh, vast ways to stop termites, my home was all timber here, no problems I used the correct method from the beginning.

Once there in, difficult to treat.
Master Builder

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 17, 2018, 5:53 am

My slab done back in the '80s with the good stuff, not allowed anymore.
Under external walls they use the orange tape with the chemical built in BUT according to the blokes that put it in , only 10 year guarantee.
Saw stainless mesh used a few times but seems it was too expensive or for some other reason they have all reverted back to the orange stuff.
Seen a couple use the perimeter underground tubing and the pest guys pump chemicals in every so often.
I remember south Aus was really bad for the critters and nearly all building was brick/block inside and out.
Where I live in the last 30 years they seem to have moved in in numbers also.

Return to “House & Land”