Udon Thani Immigration Office

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 7, 2012, 1:29 pm

Jing Jing wrote:
or you can ask to speak to her supervisor and let him/her set her straight.
This will not work. Thais do not like to lose face. You are creating win lose situation. I have a letter from the MOFA that states the Immigration Officer may make mistakes but it is not their fault it is your fault because you are supposed to know the law. [-(

Pick up the brochure about Thai wife visa and ask them what does #6 mean? (see previous post)
That's BS ^^^^

Agree with Bandung_Dero as I also had experienced a problem which was quickly rectified when I politely and respectfully requested to speak to "number 1 boss".

Jed
udonmap.com

Post by Jed » March 7, 2012, 1:34 pm

And something's in the air as well, at least in Nong Khai.

(BTW, they always check to see if you're from Nong Khai before processing, and send Udonites back down the road.)

Last time I went, about a week ago, none of the usual suspects were there, only an older woman I hadn't seen before, and a few newer, younger "helpers."

I just needed a stamp, but she handed me a form, which turned out to be a Customer Satisfaction survey, which I was advised to complete.

I gave mostly "good" rankings, and one "not good" -- she asked why? I said that I, and many others, do not appreciate feeling pressured to buy stuff from the "Avon Lady," as I call her.

She said, "Sorry, sorry!" much to my surprise. And told me this wouldn't be happening any more. Rather implying that it was a new day and a new regime at NK Immigration.

No idea what's behind this. My wife credits Ms. Yingluck, but really don't know. Happy to see and experience, though.

Just a personal experience recounted for anyone interested.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » March 7, 2012, 2:14 pm

No idea what's behind this. My wife credits Ms. Yingluck, but really don't know.

:roll: There are very few things we as farang know for sure here in Thailand. But,certainly one of those precious few certainties is that Ms. Badluck and the man who wears the pants are doing absolutely nothing to help the farang.

I suspect the next time you go to the Imm. office not only will you not see that form, but everyone there will deny there ever was a form. :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 7, 2012, 2:16 pm

"KHONDAHM wrote:
Anyone ever successfully bypass the lady and insisted he help instead? I'm thinking of doing just that when I actually have to do it."

I think a better idea would be to feign a wicked bad case of diarrhea and say you'll come back another day (and take your chances you're dealt a different hand). The idea of asking someone else to help you works pretty well in a barber shop, but I'm not sure the immigration folks would play the game.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » March 7, 2012, 5:54 pm

I have had them openly debate issues amongst themselves as to the best way something should be handled. The last time I went the young women officer was helping me. I had to return the next day with the information she requested. However, she forgot to tell me she was going to be on vacation. :shock: Fortunately, the other officer picked-up where she had left off and I didn't have to reexplain everything.

I guess you go to Immigration and find out who is there that day before taking a number. :-"

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 7, 2012, 8:27 pm

KD

I'm not sure I understand what kind of visa you are seeking. Is it based on marriage or based on retirement? If it's based on retirement all you'll need to show is the financial affadavidt from your embassy along with the TM 7, photo, copies of your passport pages, signed cy of your wife's ID card & house registration. My wife and I just renewed our visas last week in the Udon office without any hassle at all. I'm not familiar with the rules based on marriage other than I understand all the paperwork must be sent to Korat for approval.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 9, 2012, 10:36 am

i have recently applied and received a visa extension based on marriage with the 2month deposit, no problems what so ever ,at a help full and correct udon thani immigration office...no idea why they would make it difficult to others...
it was first time ( on total of 11 extensions now) i have the money only 2 months before , normally i always play it save and put it 3 months before...,in case they change their minds... so next year it will be 3 again to be sure.... ;)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 10, 2012, 9:05 pm

I came back from Udon Immigration today annoyed on two counts - one, with myself, because having been here many years and quite a number of dealings with both Nong Khai and Udon offices, I paid without much query 600 baht (+ photo money 100 baht) probable 'Songkran Party' money for the issue of two 'confirmation of address' letters, which MIGHT usually be issued free. No receipt ( there were several weak smiles from officers and waiting customers when I asked for a receipt)and fairly sure the money went straight in a handbag. Secondly, of course, angry that these officers making money on the side is tolerated, in spite of any noises made about being professional and not corrupt.

Maybe, sadly, I'm expected to 'swallow it' in Thailand, but I was thinking of returning and complaining to the Number 1 there. Not a fortune, of course, and for what was a helpful, friendly and efficient service (but with good reason?) I would quite happily have paid for the letters - IF official costs. I wonder if there is an argument for farangs complaining more regularly, so Immigration realise we're not 'soft touches', although that could prove counter-productive, individually and generally, and rather like banging one's head against a wall anyway?
One doesn't have to be clever with numbers to calculate how much very nice extra money some officers are making.

Incidentally, it seemed a very typical Thai red tape exercise to generate two special letters (one would have sufficed for the Vehicle Office, as one had to tick the purpose of the letter in boxes at the bottom) on the computer with photos attached. Phew! Cynically, perhaps it meant another 300 baht?

Has anyone ever seen a scale of charges posted in Immigration? - or just something else left for Officers to make up as they go along. It's known to be 1900 baht for a yearly extension of visa, but for other processes? I've seen rates pasted up in e.g. Land Offices and Vehicle Offices, not that something in an envelope doesn't help there too on occasions!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 10, 2012, 9:33 pm

Brian

I think you should have complained immediately. I would guess your complaint would fall on deaf ears now. Every time someone goes there and offers to "tip" them for what they're supposed to be doing causes more problems for the rest of us. I pay for my visa & re-entry visas as required & copies if I don't have enough or the right ones and nothing more.

One female officer tried to charge me for moving the visa into my new passport. I paid and then politely (in Thai) asked for a receipt. The money was promptly returned to me. To the best of my knowledge the only legal charges are for a new visa and a re-entry visa both of which are printed on the form.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 11, 2012, 7:10 am

I do not normally comment about Immigratiuon as I really have never had a problem, however if the scenario is that Immigration Officers are expecting dosh to be handed for spurious charges without a receipt, then I am sure that the culture will expand.

Over the years the occasional ' Tea Money ' of 100 Thb has been paid by myself ( very infrequently I might add ), once for a letter regarding my address and once for a slip of a girl who was supposed to be learning . However apart from costs of Photcopying and the like there are no more charges than listed , to name a few
Visa renewal Thb 1900, re-entry Thb 1000 that does it for me, next time maybe I'll take a handheld mike contraption then can play back to my lawyer should make it interesting.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » April 11, 2012, 8:01 am

There is something already in the works attempting to deal with these "extra charges" through the US Embassy in BKK.

That's about all I can say right now, and I'm sure you understand the sensitivity of this subject.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » April 11, 2012, 10:23 am

I think actions like these shouldn't go unchallenged or they are bound to become commonplace.

I can understand that possibly you were scared to take further action on the spur of the moment in fear of (future) reprisals. If I were in your shoes I would therefore make a written complaint to the Head of Immigration (anonymously in a pinch), adding a (fake) CC to Mr Chuwit Kamolvisit, MP. Chuwit is portraying himself as the anti-corruption champion of Thailand.

I'm convinced that would work!

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 11, 2012, 11:45 am

Gosh, remember only a year ago, this forum held only praise for Udon Immigration? Something changed.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » April 11, 2012, 12:13 pm

Maybe this is just a one off and therefore the pratice must be stopped before it spreads like wildfire.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » April 11, 2012, 12:23 pm

I went last week for my 1 year extension based on retirement. Took me 23 minutes, 10 minutes to fill out the forms, 3 minutes waiting and 10 minutes being processed. The lady was super efficient. I gave her 6,000 baht (1,900 for the extension, 3,800 for the multiple exit/reentry), she kept the change. I arrived with passport, yellow housebook, affadavit of income, 2 photos. They made the necessary copies. I asked for the receipt and received it.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » April 11, 2012, 12:25 pm

One off ? Over the past year have been charged 300bht for a residence certificate many times. At least its service with a smile,i heard before they would throw your passports back at you !

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Post by Asiaphile » April 11, 2012, 12:33 pm

Quite an expensive smile! If I had a choice I'd opt for the throw-back-my-passport! :evil:

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » April 11, 2012, 4:18 pm

I have just had a letter from Immigration for my driving licence renewal, was charged 400baht and she also asked for 100 baht tip, I had all the photo copy's. I said no to the tip, also no receipt.

Sure that the last time I had the letter from Nong Khai it was free, that was six years ago.

malc123

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 11, 2012, 4:41 pm

All the more reason to invest some time and effort in a yellow book -it will reduce the number of things you need immigrations' help with.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 11, 2012, 5:15 pm

Yet another example of why I prefer to have nothing to do with the Immigration Office.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”