Meeting the family of my girlfriend

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
Alexander355
udonmap.com

Post by Alexander355 » May 30, 2012, 4:30 am

Hi all
Since my travel in february, I have a thai girlfriend. I go back in september, also to celebrate my 30th birthday with my angel. Since we met, we facebook, skype, mail and send daily texts. I met her on koh pha ngan but know she is from udon thani.

So in september i'll meet her mum and son. How should I prepare? How do I greet, the wai till the eyebrows? What is the normal greeting with family? I think this is a big step, to meet the family. We like each and miss each other a lot.

I'm going to learn conversational thai to be able to talk a bit with her mum and to do something with her son alone when i have my rental car. When my girlfriend just wants to relax or so.

All tips are welcome.
Looking forward to it.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » May 30, 2012, 7:53 am

... How should I prepare?
Forget about the conversational Thai. Just make sure you have a well-padded wallet with you. ;)

Flashman
udonmap.com

Post by Flashman » May 30, 2012, 8:23 am

Why do I get the feeling that this guy is a troll?

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 30, 2012, 8:28 am

Have read all his 5 posts and the jury is out. :-k At 30 years old,good luck to the Belgium if not a troll,just do not come back here and moan online if you get scammed,ta vely much 8)

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » May 30, 2012, 9:19 am

Alexander355 wrote:Hi all
Since my travel in february, I have a thai girlfriend. I go back in september, also to celebrate my 30th birthday with my angel. Since we met, we facebook, skype, mail and send daily texts. I met her on koh pha ngan but know she is from udon thani.

So in september i'll meet her mum and son. How should I prepare? How do I greet, the wai till the eyebrows? What is the normal greeting with family? I think this is a big step, to meet the family. We like each and miss each other a lot.

I'm going to learn conversational thai to be able to talk a bit with her mum and to do something with her son alone when i have my rental car. When my girlfriend just wants to relax or so.

All tips are welcome.
Looking forward to it.
Im sure the family will make you very welcome ........ after all this is the land of smiles . Mashes only advice is come - see - enjoy ...take it from there ......... good luck young man .

Bertie_Wooster
udonmap.com

Post by Bertie_Wooster » May 30, 2012, 3:27 pm

The real test is if you are treated as a guest (where you are taken care of) or you treat them as your guest (where you pay for everything).
Bertie_Wooster

Alexander355
udonmap.com

Post by Alexander355 » May 30, 2012, 5:20 pm

i will see in september. Being a guest would be nice. I think helping with a part of the expenses would be appreciated.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » May 30, 2012, 5:54 pm

Alexander355 wrote:i will see in september. Being a guest would be nice. I think helping with a part of the expenses would be appreciated.
Please don't listen to the negative advice, it's worthless.

When you visit her family, you are their guest and they will be proud that you are their guest. Let them be your host and stay polite.

The most important thing is to be polite and stay polite. You don't have to wai perfectly, and remember that you are a guest.

Bring small presents for their family (some fruit). Don't waste your time and money on expensive things and don't embarrass them with throwing around money.

Don't pay for everything, it's rude (give your hosts a chance to be your hosts). Don't judge people openly, it's also seen as rude.

What will be appreciated though will be if you take them somewhere, on a small sightseeing trip, or to a restaurant one time as your guest. Let your girlfriend arrange it, she will know what's appropriate.

Normally people don't drink alcohol. If they drink, most people only drink at a party.

When they offer you food and you don't like the taste, just eat a little bit and say you are full, or you have a weak stomach.

And really. If you start paying for everything, nobody will take you seriously anymore. And believe me, they will test if you are genuine or not.

If you have to negotiate about something, do so with a smile, but don't agree to everything if you are not happy with it.

Alexander355
udonmap.com

Post by Alexander355 » May 30, 2012, 11:42 pm

Unread postby Frankie 1 » May 30, 2012, 11:54 am

Alexander355 wrote:i will see in september. Being a guest would be nice. I think helping with a part of the expenses would be appreciated.

Please don't listen to the negative advice, it's worthless. I was waiting for more useful advice, instead of being negative.

When you visit her family, you are their guest and they will be proud that you are their guest. Let them be your host and stay polite.

The most important thing is to be polite and stay polite. You don't have to wai perfectly, and remember that you are a guest.

Bring small presents for their family (some fruit). Don't waste your time and money on expensive things and don't embarrass them with throwing around money.

- My angel can tell me what is good. I'll ask her.

Don't pay for everything, it's rude (give your hosts a chance to be your hosts). Don't judge people openly, it's also seen as rude.

- Good to know this. about judging, expressing emotions i read about it and know it already.

What will be appreciated though will be if you take them somewhere, on a small sightseeing trip, or to a restaurant one time as your guest. Let your girlfriend arrange it, she will know what's appropriate.

- Good that i have a pick up for that time. I like to drive something which i don't usually drive, small car for taxes in belgium.

Normally people don't drink alcohol. If they drink, most people only drink at a party.

When they offer you food and you don't like the taste, just eat a little bit and say you are full, or you have a weak stomach.

- I'll do that. I remember in february. my angel let me taste a fruit from a tree, was sour. Not my favorite try out.

And really. If you start paying for everything, nobody will take you seriously anymore. And believe me, they will test if you are genuine or not.

- I have good intentions for my sweetheart so i'll honor this line good. I want to take my chances to build a life together.

If you have to negotiate about something, do so with a smile, but don't agree to everything if you are not happy with it.

- interesting advice.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » May 31, 2012, 7:55 am

Just go with the flow ,,,,, enjoy your first visit and meeting the family ,,,, keep a level head and dont do nowt daft , in time you will suss out how the land lies ,... be fair with paying expenses /food / travel etc budget for the trip and leave your credit cards at home .

GET ON THE RIDE and go for it .

Good luck .

Mash

BarnicaleBob
udonmap.com

Post by BarnicaleBob » June 7, 2012, 11:48 pm

Most of the above positive advice all seems good. You should also keep in mind that a girl bringing her boyfriend to meet the family is an indicator that a marriage may be expected in the future. I would suggest you read up on the subject of “Sin Sod” so that if and when you do marry your angel you will not be caught by surprise. Here is a link that explains it somewhat http://thethailandlife.com/sin-sod

Alexander355
udonmap.com

Post by Alexander355 » June 9, 2012, 5:42 pm

hi BB,

I already read up on it. She has been married before and has a son so according to that, no sinsod normally.

Alexander355
udonmap.com

Post by Alexander355 » June 9, 2012, 7:33 pm

we'll work something out for compensation for her mum, she's getting older.

Return to “Relationships”