Internet TV blocked by geografik reasons

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » February 9, 2012, 6:41 pm

I wonder if anyone has knowledge of how to work around copyright when you want to see on internetTV. I want to watch Swedish television, and it works great as long as it is not about movies or other programs witch is geographically locked up. I get the following error message:

this video is for copyright reasons geographically blocked outside Sweden. :evil:

For shure somebody know how to go round this problem???

regards Kjell

These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

ricks
udonmap.com

Post by ricks » February 9, 2012, 6:59 pm

if using computer change your ip address for Sweden one,you can get programs to do this or go thro a Swedish server

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 9, 2012, 7:08 pm

As far as I know there are two ways around the problem....well there are for England where the same situation exists.

1. Is the use of a 'sling box'
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 1328787935
There are, as you can see, a few to chose from.
In order to use them you need a friend in Sweden who will have to connect the box to the cable supplier, satellite supplier etc. that they are getting & to the internet.
You then 'log on' to the sling box via the internet & so view the programs over the net that way.
I understand that there are limitations with their use. Not sure if all, but some, will only transmit the program that the friend is watching in Sweden. So if they are watching movie A on channel 1 & you want movie B on channel 2..tough. :D
As far as I am aware the use of sling boxes is not classified as being illegal, although I am not sure if that has ever been tested in a court of law.

2. Is the use of a proxy address.
Put simply, you use your PC to 'talk' to a server in Sweden that then 'talks' to the TV station, thus fooling the TV station that you are actually in Sweden.
There are a great many sites on the internet offering free proxy server information & free country IP details.
They are a waste of time & the chances of finding one that works is small. The chances of finding one that works long term is virtually impossible.
Some of the free sites are undoubtedly traps to catch the unaware & possibly will steal personal details from your PC.
I think it would be dangerous to try & use these sites on any PC that contained personal & sensitive information.

There are also paid for Proxy sites, where you pay a monthly or yearly fee to get a proxy IP address. As IP addresses are often spotted by the companies that they are trying to evade I would think that getting a long term deal was probably not attractive...

The use of Proxy sites & Proxy IP addresses is illegal in some countries, while not in others.
It is important to note that it is illegal in Thailand, so I could not possibly recommend that it was a route anybody took...especially as there are real risks to the individual in many cases without extreme care being taken...

There is a third way if you do not mind seeing the item a day or two later.

Nearly all TV programs become torrents very quickly after they are actually shown. This is especially true of England language movies & TV series, but I am sure that there are Swedish torrent sites as well.
Then it is simply a matter of downloading the program & watching at your leisure!!

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » February 9, 2012, 7:10 pm

kjellsnell wrote:
For shure somebody know how to go round this problem???

regards Kjell
http://www.strongvpn.com Choose a Swedish server.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » February 9, 2012, 7:35 pm

Hmm...thank you!.....I will try the proxy thing but looks like they will have money too. Can trust ore not? Payment by VISA?
Regards Kjell
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » February 9, 2012, 7:50 pm

kjellsnell wrote:Hmm...thank you!.....I will try the proxy thing but looks like they will have money too. Can trust ore not? Payment by VISA?
Regards Kjell
Can trust. :razz: One of the biggest VPN providers in the world.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 9, 2012, 7:52 pm

The VPN site that greatsnake gives above is well worth a look..

It might only be a technicality but I do not think that VPNs are illegal in Thailand as there can be solid business reasons for using them, whereas Proxies are only designed to hide your true identity & so are certainly illegal here.

You certainly want to ensure (via a bit of Googling) that any company that you hand over your credit card details to is bona fide before you take the jump!! :D

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » February 9, 2012, 8:05 pm

Thanks Bob...i will do some googling...and when i feel safe...i give it a try!

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 9, 2012, 11:14 pm

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » February 11, 2012, 7:21 pm

Thanks Perra...i will try this one!

Binanti

Post by Binanti » June 19, 2012, 5:20 pm

Thanks Bob...i will try it...

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » June 20, 2012, 11:53 am

try StrongVPN. works great, $54 a year and had no issues.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”