Animal Park/Zoo in Khon Kean

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 10, 2012, 1:58 pm

Yes, I know this is the Udon Forum.

Info'd today about a animal park or zoo in Khon Kean, anyone been there....info pls!!!

Mainly would like to know how to get there and what's available for the children to do??

Thanks.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 10, 2012, 3:46 pm

Ho Mos,
Don't know about K.K. But on the road from Udon, just over halfway down to K.K.. on the left hand side is an archway advertising a zoo. Traffic lights at the crossing. Never been myself, maybe other board members have. I have heard it is very good. Only opened about 3 years ago. My friend who visited it, and then went on to Jurassic Park, and stayed in Kalasin. He said it was a very good day out. On the way back he called in at Cobra Village, he said he was not inpressed with this place. He said to much touting for extra monies spoiled a very good show. His words.
Hope this helps. Cheers Doug.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 10, 2012, 5:50 pm

I haven't been yet, so don't have much info to offer about the park. The name of the zoo is Khao Suan Kwang Zoo. If you do a search on google maps for Khao Suan Kwang it will bring up the ville. Doug is correct in that you can see the archway from route 2 (on your right if coming from Udon).

Here's the web-link, but it's in Thai.

http://www.khaosuankwangzoo.com/index1.html

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 10, 2012, 6:08 pm

only about 40 minutes south of Udon. We went a couple of weeks ago and as of then there was ZERO cost to enter. Worth a short day trip to see. Currently the "Zoo" has a number of enclosures with deer, zebras, giraffe, emu/ostriches and a few others. It is built in a very rocky area and the zoo has taken advantage of that by using the various rock promontories as part of the enclosures. The aerial bridge over a couple of enclosures is about 20 meters above the ground and has a great view off the range of hills.

They rent golf carts to explore the zoo (about 300 Baht an hour).. Don't bother renting one unless you just feel like spending some money as you can walk around the current zoo area in about an hour easily. There are various som dum/grilled chicken stands, ice cream etc near the animal enclosures.

There appears to be a number of marked walking trails that extend out into the forest and hilltops from the built-up zoo area.

This zoo has a huge swath of land partially developed. I don't know how long it has been there but it could eventually be as big as Safari World down in Bangkok.. However, some of the areas that are complete appear to be at least 4-5 years old and arent' used yet.
Dave

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » August 10, 2012, 6:12 pm

You shouldn't expect too much - better even less. It's better for half a day to go there with your children than being bored in Udon. But if you want to go to a zoo (!) then head on to Korat.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 10, 2012, 7:04 pm

Thanks for the info.

Read halfway to KK from Udon, but had one reply indicate on the right and another on the left hand side coming from Udon?? Is it on the right or left hand side??

A few other questions, yes I can be a pain (this is Thailand):
Are the golf cards 2 or 4 man carts??
Can children pet or feed the animals??

Thanks again!!
Mosquito

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 10, 2012, 7:07 pm

Ment carts, not cards!!

Also, is there some place to get a decent lunch (not just chicken on a stick and pok pok).

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » August 10, 2012, 7:29 pm

Mosquito wrote: Read halfway to KK from Udon, but had one reply indicate on the right and another on the left hand side coming from Udon?? Is it on the right or left hand side??
Mosquito
If heading south from Udon the entrance is on the left.
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 11, 2012, 9:30 am

=yes, on the left going south from Udon.. The picture at the top of the string is over the road on your left at the stop light which is on the main highway... I believe the village is Non Sa-at....

- Golf carts can hold 4 or more.

- The "restaurants" are typical sit down Som Dum/Kai Yang/noodle stands with soda/beer/ice cream.. There are several all around the large animal enclosures.

the road from the main highway is at least 8-10km to the animal enclosure area of the zoo.. It makes several turns but each one is clearly marked (in Thai) pointing the way to the zoo.. The road is a bit beat up in some areas. BTW, when you go by the first gated/guard booth entrance to the zoo property, you'll come up to a very wide entrance, don't go in there, that's the future larger zoo, turn left and continue going up into the hills.
Dave

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 11, 2012, 1:13 pm

Thanks for all the info, expect it'll be closed tomorrow will wait until next week.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 11, 2012, 7:43 pm

If you go to the zoo, you should make a stop and get some Khao Suan Kwang gaiyang.......it's the best (IMO). As you enter the town on the main Udon-KK highway, there are vendors galore selling chicken....they'll all tell you it's the authentic deal, but our experience is, there's only one place to eat. It's on the left hand side, as you're heading to KK, about 1km into the town.....largish restaurant, walk up about 10 stairs, fresh-squeezed orange juice vendor often in front, bank parking lot just off to the side of the restaurant.
Their chicken is renowned....but their pork lahb is about the best I've had as well.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 11, 2012, 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info Parrot, i'll give the lahb a try next time i'm down that way :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 11, 2012, 9:07 pm

parrot wrote:there's only one place to eat. It's on the left hand side, as you're heading to KK, about 1km into the town.....largish restaurant, walk up about 10 stairs, fresh-squeezed orange juice vendor often in front, bank parking lot just off to the side of the restaurant.
Their chicken is renowned....but their pork lahb is about the best I've had as well.
It's a popular stop for tour buses as well. Whenever we're passing through we always stop in for lunch. Just to add the restaurant is not directly off route 2 (Udon-KK hwy) but a side street that runs parallel to rte 2. The street or lane is divided by a concrete barrier which you have to merge into otherwise you'll end up passing it and having to make several U-turns to get back to it.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 11, 2012, 9:29 pm

The name of the restaurant is วราภรณ์

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Animal Park/Zoo in Khon Kean update 090113

Post by FrazeeDK » September 1, 2013, 5:58 pm

Wow!! had this place gotten 300% better!! The last time I was down in August of 2012 it was not developed much.. As of our visit today major improvements and construction! The main road into the place that was beat up and broken; now all new concrete. the undeveloped animal park, about 70% completed with additional modern "open" animal enclosures under construction . Lions, and Tigers, and Bears oh my!! It is now a modern loop road animal safari type park with large new people movers to take you to each major enclosure.. Clean and neat (for now) and the animals appear well taken care of. Entrance for adults is 70 baht, but over 60, students and small children are free (for now!). To ride the people mover 20 baht per person (only one other way and that's to rent a large 6 person golf cart for 300 baht). The circuit through the very large park with stops at the various enclosures takes about 2 hours. Animals in residence today Sept 1st, 2013; Malaysian Sun bears, Asian Black Bears, gigantic enclosed aviary with numerous peacocks and other tropical birds (I think this will be added to a lot), Albino Wallabies, Kangaroos, Springboks, gazelles, 2 rhinos, "white" tigers, "white" lions, regular tigers and lions, one hippo, meerkat colony, a huge deer enclosure where the mover stops and allows folks to interact with the deer herd.. Still being worked on; several more animal enclosures. They have what appears to be a large enclosed show hall but that's not open yet. The older animal enclosures (free to view) further up the hill have camels, zebras, giraffe, emu, ostriches, wild asses and some other animals. Also near the top of the hill up from the main park they're building a huge water park with very tall water slides..

As noted earlier in the string this place is located about 65km south of Udon via Rte 2 to the village of Khao Suan Kwang (turned left at the stop light and about 12km east of Rte 2. The way is a bit windy but clearly marked Suan Sut IN THAI!!

The newer portion of the park has the usual collection of grilled chicken/som dum stands along with drinks, snacks and ice cream.. There is a shop row built and what might be a food court but they're not open yet.

By the amount of trucks, concrete mixers, and workers around the park I'd reckon it might be "fully" open within 3-4 months. It is certainly value for money right now and a great place to go for a half day of fun. whoever has put the money into this place seems to be planning a top quality animal park/safari world type experience. The very large water park under construction also looks like it will be top quality...
Dave

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 1, 2013, 6:28 pm

The wife took two of her sisters to the animal park this past Friday and as reported by FrazeeDK they were also suitably impressed. Not much can be added to FrazeeDK's narrative. He has covered it quite well. I reckon this place will become a regular outing for the dek dek in the family. Already have another trip planned during the upcoming school break in October.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » September 1, 2013, 7:03 pm

Thanks a lot for the update. We had taken that zoo from our list but will be back. And as a big fan of water parks I couldn't be happier to hear about the slides (after being so disappointed about the baby fun coming soon to Udon...).

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

I see this place actually going places since whoever the backer is has invested tens of millions of baht just in redoing all the roads in the property.. A year ago they were terrible, now new... It has huge potential to be a huge tourist draw.. Today (Sept 1st, 2013) the newer portion of the park wasn't too crowded, perhaps 400-500 Thais doing the circuit through the park, a half a dozen busses in the lot and 50-60 cars/trucks... The older portion had a few hundred people walking about plus a number of student groups who may be using the meeting halls and camping in the there.
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 1, 2013, 9:07 pm

Thanks FDK.

I had a brief chat with the family (one of whom visited a couple of years ago), and I have a full car booked for 2 weeks time. =D>

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 7, 2013, 7:00 pm

Word of warning ..... if you want to feed the deer, it's probably best to make sure you're not the ONLY ones :lol:
UM1.jpg
Looks like a Banana ......
UM3.jpg
Just for one of our long time UM members ....
UM2.jpg
You lookin' at me ?
UM4.jpg
Some species are better suited to zoos than others ..... Hip Hip ho :roll:
UM5.jpg
Last but not least ...... I think it may be pussy, but more likely Kat... :-$
UM6.jpg

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”