Working without permit

General Udon Thani topics only!
mortiboy
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by mortiboy » September 24, 2012, 7:43 pm

Just heard from the missus,Her friends "friend" just got pulled for teaching without legal document.
Story goes,he opened up a establishment not too far Kanneree restaurant with a partner.
But his ex missus blew the whistle on him. Now his is in BKK jail.
What is to be come of him? ...A fine and send him back USA?
A jail sentence? He states he never taught yet, just "setting up"
What a wally!

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by Panty Hamster » September 24, 2012, 8:43 pm

Obey Thai laws. Is that so hard to comprehend?

writemotive
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by writemotive » September 24, 2012, 8:52 pm

Yes, the laws seem completely against foreigners opening/running businesses in Thailand, the opposite of foreigners (or anybody else) opening and running businesses in the US. It is a nice place to retire if you can still afford it:)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by fatbob » September 25, 2012, 7:07 am

The laws are quite clear. A foreigner can open and run his own business, you have to follow the rules, set your business up accordingly, if you don't want to follow the rules you have a problem, come to Australia on a tourist visa and work, get caught you get deported, just the same as in Thailand. You have your wires crossed write motive, if you respect and abide by the law of the land you don't have much of a problem.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by Asiaphile » September 25, 2012, 7:51 am

writemotive wrote:Yes, the laws seem completely against foreigners opening/running businesses in Thailand, the opposite of foreigners (or anybody else) opening and running businesses in the US.
Yeah right! :confused: :evil:
Average Somchai may praise himself VERY lucky to even get a TOURIST VISA to the States!

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by kjellsnell » September 25, 2012, 8:00 am

Dont forget what the inspector in Immigration promises - take every scum farrang not following Thai law and work whit out work permit.....BKK jail next place for them!!!
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

Tafia
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by Tafia » September 25, 2012, 11:31 am

kjellsnell wrote:Dont forget what the inspector in Immigration promises - take every scum farrang not following Thai law and work whit out work permit.....BKK jail next place for them!!!
When applying for this years extension (Aug) I was presented with a paper to sign (never seen one before this year) written in Thai & English it basically said....
I understand the conditions of my Visa/Extension and should I not comply with them the Visa/Extension will be cancelled immediately and I would be dealt with under Thai Law.

I would say that clears up any misunderstanding, it pays to know the conditions and live within them.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by kjellsnell » September 25, 2012, 12:57 pm

Tafia wrote:
kjellsnell wrote:Dont forget what the inspector in Immigration promises - take every scum farrang not following Thai law and work whit out work permit.....BKK jail next place for them!!!
When applying for this years extension (Aug) I was presented with a paper to sign (never seen one before this year) written in Thai & English it basically said....
I understand the conditions of my Visa/Extension and should I not comply with them the Visa/Extension will be cancelled immediately and I would be dealt with under Thai Law.

I would say that clears up any misunderstanding, it pays to know the conditions and live within them.
i was also there in late august and i have to sign the paper as well...... :|
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by merchant seaman » September 25, 2012, 1:13 pm

Wonder if they are going to start checking out farang owned (financed) business in Udon. If so it would benefit some to try and change some of the laws in place.

joepai
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by joepai » September 25, 2012, 2:55 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Wonder if they are going to start checking out farang owned (financed) business in Udon. If so it would benefit some to try and change some of the laws in place.
Be nice of they did - get rid of the deadwood and scammers
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by kjellsnell » September 25, 2012, 3:51 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Wonder if they are going to start checking out farang owned (financed) business in Udon. If so it would benefit some to try and change some of the laws in place.
They told that they should start in Udon area - as far as i know they allready taking somebody,a barleaser and a teacher as i heard and one of them was sent out of the country allready :-$

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by jackspratt » September 25, 2012, 4:42 pm

Troll la lee la lee ........ troll la lee la la. :confused:

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Working without permit

Post by pienmash » September 25, 2012, 4:54 pm

Naughty naughty MS lets not knock this thread into the other saga currently on going ... ..... are you trying to say there are expat managed/owned businesses in Udon that are not squeaky clean ,,, this must be impossible !! ..... after the recent visit by immo it actually worked in the business benefit , i know im now totally legal despite the assertions of others and ive gained a lot of new customers from the immo n police who drop by n dine AND PAY since out geting together .

ref work permits ,,, i would advise all expats who are involved in anyway with operating a business check out just what you are allowed to do and where m also this criteris depends on the structure of the business ie shareholder ship etc , is the business a registered Thai company paying tax ,, what does the business intail and how long have yo and your partner girlfriend of wife been together ,, all these DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE .

mash

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by merchant seaman » September 25, 2012, 5:17 pm

Just being a little naughty but I agree with your post. Some 12 years ago farang bars started to pop up in Udon. The farang owner/financial provider would tend the bar and keep the til all of course without a work permit. There are a few still today that do this on occassion but immigration/tourist police/and the BIB are getting wiser to this and looking for a feather in their cap so to say. Best to be sure what you can and can not do. Remember many years ago a very good friend of mine, Terry , owner of the Shamrock Bar down in Pattaya, got fine 20,000baht for hanging a sign advertising for a cashier. You mention paying company tax, don't forget workers and VAT.

writemotive
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by writemotive » September 25, 2012, 6:14 pm

Coxo
If you are married to an American national and living in the united states, you would have permanent residence status (temp or permanent) and have the right work, own and/or operate you own business. This is different in being (Male) and married to a Thai (female) and living in Thailand. Being American I found this a negative in living in Thailand and could sympathize with someone caught on the wrong side of the law. That is all. Yes, it's the law and that's the way it is, etc. as pointed out in the posts that followed mine, but I don't have to like the law, just abide by it if I don't want to find myself in the same unfortunate situation as the person is on the post prior to mine. I will turn down the offer to go to Australia on a tourist visa and illegally work, and see where that gets me:) Thanks for the advice, Wires Crossed

fatbob
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by fatbob » September 26, 2012, 7:21 am

In America you get residence status you say, that is what America decides to do, here in Thailand being a different country they choose there own method, its then up to the Thai voters at election time to lobby there MP's to bring about change should they wish.
I have worked in Singapore, Vietnam, India, Abu-Dhabi and Thailand, every country has there own different set of rules and regulations, to work you have to follow the rules of that land and do what they request. There are similarities between between the US, if a Thai male marries a foreign female she gains residency.
I really do not find the rules here that difficult, sure you have to sign 10,000 sheets of paper and it all seems a bit primitive as in before the computer age but so be it, if you do what is required it all falls into place quickly, I think the government quite likes foreign company's as we seem to be the only ones who pay tax or rather are to scared to have a go at dodging it as I know we are always told to avoid paying this and that, we don't and follow the rules due to the consequences.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Working without permit

Post by pienmash » September 26, 2012, 7:30 am

This is a simple one ....... if an expat chooses Thailand to live , work , make a business or retire then he or she should abide by the countries laws in regard to rules on working and immigration .... if n when they change any application must be ammended and conformed to .......... countries rules n regs on these 2 issues vary greatly throughout the world IMO Thaialnd isnt a difficult place to settle in any category compared with others ,,,,,,,, expats wishing to be here just need to fully understand and comply with Thai law ,,simple as that ,,,anyone that cannot whether financial , personal or orther issues dont allow this then they shouldnt be here ,,all Thailand is doing is protecting its sovereignty and borders .

mash

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by WBU ALUM » September 26, 2012, 7:31 am

coxo wrote:In America you get residence status you say, that is what America decides to do, here in Thailand being a different country they choose there own method, its then up to the Thai voters at election time to lobby there MP's to bring about change should they wish.
I have worked in Singapore, Vietnam, India, Abu-Dhabi and Thailand, every country has there own different set of rules and regulations, to work you have to follow the rules of that land and do what they request. There are similarities between between the US, if a Thai male marries a foreign female she gains residency.
I really do not find the rules here that difficult, sure you have to sign 10,000 sheets of paper and it all seems a bit primitive as in before the computer age but so be it, if you do what is required it all falls into place quickly, I think the government quite likes foreign company's as we seem to be the only ones who pay tax or rather are to scared to have a go at dodging it as I know we are always told to avoid paying this and that, we don't and follow the rules due to the consequences.
Excellent. =D>

When in Rome ...

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Working without permit

Post by pienmash » September 26, 2012, 7:32 am

Working without permit

This is a simple one ....... if an expat chooses Thailand to live , work , make a business or retire then he or she should abide by the countries laws in regard to rules on working and immigration .... if n when they change any application must be ammended and conformed to .......... countries rules n regs on these 2 issues vary greatly throughout the world IMO Thaialnd isnt a difficult place to settle in any category compared with others ,,,,,,,, expats wishing to be here just need to fully understand and comply with Thai law ,,simple as that ,,,anyone that cannot whether financial , personal or orther issues dont allow this then they shouldnt be here ,,all Thailand is doing is protecting its sovereignty and borders .

mash

GT93
udonmap.com

Working without permit

Post by GT93 » March 3, 2013, 5:00 am

Oh dear. I hope posters aren't going so far as asserting that abiding by the law is so important that farang who pay for hanky panky in Thailand, which is I understand illegal, shouldn't be in Thailand. There would be a lot fewer white faces left in Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”