Diphtheria cases reported in Loei & Udon Thani

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
maxeboy
udonmap.com

Diptheria cases reported in Loei

Post by maxeboy » November 6, 2012, 10:14 am

Today free vaccination was offered to the public in Nong Samrun Community (Ban Bornam). Check with the local government. Showed my Thai Driver;s Licence and it was accepted.
Kind regards from maxeboy.

GreatDane born free taxed into slavery

mykthemin
udonmap.com

Post by mykthemin » November 6, 2012, 10:51 am

Had my shot this morning, showed yellow book, all good, another shot in 1 months time then fully protected, free of charge. All carried out at the clinic in the village, quite a queue of people.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 6, 2012, 11:02 am

I'll contact Nong Bua, the money isn't a big thing. But Udon Hospital is a mad house with all the patients they have.

Thanks

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 6, 2012, 3:27 pm

Ok Guys the wife and I got ours at the Wat in Nong Sai, they will be there tomorrow again I'm told.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 7, 2012, 8:31 pm

My wife is a teacher, and today at her school they gave her and all the other teachers the shot. Will follow up with a booster in 1 month. Evidently, there is enough of it going around that folks are taking it seriously.

KB

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » November 7, 2012, 9:56 pm

Do you know which vaccin you were given? Did you ask? There are different types although some of the newer combination against tetanus and diftheria may not have reached Thailand yet. Ground vaccin if you have not had a shot or not in many years, boosters and different for various age groups.

thex
udonmap.com

Post by thex » November 8, 2012, 8:29 am

My wife just made some calls to various hospitals and got conflicting answers.

Where can I get a shot in UT or NK?

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 8, 2012, 11:41 am

Nong Bua called today and wanted to sit up shots in First Homes. Don't know the date yet, we were tasked to organize it.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 8, 2012, 11:55 am

If you have had an initial diptheria vaccination, a booster shot is only needed every ten years. I was offered a free vaccination at the village clinic where I live, but declined since it has been only 5 years since my last shot. The nurse showed me the vaccine vial, clearly labeled in English, Diptheria-Tetanus.

If you have access to one of these clinics you should take advantage of some of their free programs. A few months ago they were doing free stool examinations for liver flukes. As far as I know you only have to be a resident of the community.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » November 8, 2012, 11:59 am

My wife got her shot yesterday. She says all hospitals should be doing it and it's free for Thai's. They're going to send docs/nurses to all the schools as well.

leoyai

Post by leoyai » November 8, 2012, 12:07 pm

My wife and I got the shot today on the pavillion out on the water at Nong Sim (across the street from The Bookhouse Restaurant) this morning. The shots were free. My wife showed her Thai ID and I showed my Thai driver's license .
The shot was for Diptheria and Tetanus. No lines at all, we waited about 5 minutes.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 8, 2012, 1:27 pm

A middle age man died in our village yesterday from suspected case of dipthteria
Next village over were vaccinated today our villages turn tomorrow
We are 10ks west of udon

joepai
udonmap.com

Virus ?

Post by joepai » November 8, 2012, 2:49 pm

Have spoken to a few locals and they say they have a virus(?), which many have in Udon, and are off to the Clinic for a jab - any idea what this is ?

Cheers
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Virus ?

Post by BobHelm » November 8, 2012, 2:54 pm

I would suspect that they have nothing, but are having the jab to protect against Diphtheria...

see this thread...
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/d ... 26233.html

milkman
udonmap.com

Diptheria Shots- Should my Wife and I Get One?

Post by milkman » November 8, 2012, 3:38 pm

Guys, I've read all the news on Diptheria, plus the opinions on the Health page here, and I still can't decide. Seems like there are 2 people who came down with Diptheria in Loei. School kids. Someone said there have been 3 cases here in Udon, but may not be true. I looked up the CDC website in America. They said diptheria is rare as polio in America. Said the reason to get a shot is because if everyone doesn't, cases will grow. They recommend everyone get a shot. My wife says she's never been immunized. I can't remember if I have. In general, I'd rather skip getting jabs as probably not all that pleasant an experience. But I hear diptheria is less pleasant, with shortness of breathe and death possible. Any thoughts?

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 8, 2012, 3:46 pm

You did not say where you are from, but if you grew up in the US and had vaccinations for school, you probably had the DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus) shots, unless you are a lot older than me. ;) I also got them when in the service, so I think I *SHOULD* be covered, though a booster probably would not hurt.

Up to you, but if your wife has never been vaccinated, it is definitely something you should consider for her. If you can get just a booster, you might wish to consider it also. There are enough cases around that they are vaccinating all the teachers, and giving out free shots in the various subdistricts, so I would read that to mean that it is here.

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 8, 2012, 4:04 pm

The next door village to ours was giving free shots to its residents today. Two children we sponsor at a local school were immunized a few days ago.....along with all the teachers/students.

The city is concerned enough to be offering free shots at
1. The Udon Community Health Center in front of the Udon Museum on Phosri Rd.
2. The Community Health Center next to the Chulalongkorn Alumni Center and next to Makkaeng School.
3. The Community Health Center next to Wat Ba Non Nee Wet (วัดป่าโนนนิเวศน์)
4. Municipal Health Center at Tetsabahn 8
5. The Health Center directly across from the TonKun Hotel
6. The Nongsim Health Center
7. ศูนย์บริการสาธารณสุขเก่าจาน
8. The Nongbua health center behind St Mary's School
http://www.udon108.com/thai/showthread.php?t=198683

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 8, 2012, 5:42 pm

In Nongsamrong, they are doing shots for those between 6 and 45 right now, at the center across the street from Udon Sunshine Orchid Farm, until 19:00.

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 8, 2012, 6:53 pm

We went to the village market late this afternoon....then detoured to the village health office.......walked in, asked for shots, got shots, walked out.......5 minutes and smiles all around. No charge.

udonthani
udonmap.com

Post by udonthani » November 8, 2012, 6:58 pm

Same here in Ban Mumon, walked to the local helth center, walked in, wife and the 2 girls got a shot, finished in 15 min. easy and now I am considered them safe :D
Moon

Return to “Health & Beauty”