How to tell if you're still a farang

General Udon Thani topics only!
wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » November 28, 2012, 10:32 am

As a Thai who has spent some time abroad I consider myself able to evaluate whether a farang, (I use this term endearingly) has been properly assimilated into Thai society.

So I thought it might be useful to my many farang friends and readers to devise a simple test to help guide farang who may be wondering whether they have indeed successfully made the seamless transition into becoming a Thai.

Here is my simple test.

- You're a farang if you still comprehend satire and sarcasm and find it amusing. I have written about this in my previous articles, but for the benefit of touchy Thai readers who might find my sweeping generalisations offensive it is certainly not intended as such. Satire and sarcasm can land you in deep water so please exercise it with extreme caution.

- You're a farang if you still can't understand why Thai women marry Thai men. Most farang think Thai men are women-suppressing, self-aggrandising, backward-thinking, chain-smoking, whiskey-guzzling, time-wasting delinquents. Farang simply don't understand why a nice Thai girl would marry someone that is devoid of any endearing or redeeming qualities commonly found in many farang men.

Well, this might be news to you, but getting married in this country is often not about what the woman wants in a partner, but rather what her Thai parents deem acceptable as someone that's going to become their daughter's husband. Many Thai marriages are family affairs.

- You're a farang if you still think it is important to be punctual and get extremely irritated with Thais' nonchalant attitude towards tardiness.

Here is some sound advice when making an appointment. If you've got an appointment with a Thai at 5pm, add another 15 minutes.

If the meeting is on Friday, you'd better add 30 minutes.

If the person you're meeting is a Thai woman, you'd better add an hour. Now you've got the idea.

- You're a farang if you love Max, your golden retriever, more than you love your wife. The English are especially guilty of this.

The love that the English have for their dogs is world-famous. Only a fatal accident or an earthquake above seven on the Richter scale would prevent an Englishman from walking his dog once a day after supper.

Of course, Thais are also extremely fond of their canine friends. That is, until man's best friend _ in a few certain provinces _ provides their master with a cheap alternative to your Christmas turkey.

- You're a farang if you still can't appreciate gossiping, or have yet to master the technique.

Gossiping for Thais is more than pastime. Rumours and innuendos have become one of the foundations of our entire culture. The way that Thais behave socially has simply not kept up with the great strides we have made technologically or economically.

Essentially, we behave as though we are Hobbits of the Shire where everyone else's business is our own. Unfortunately our village mentality leads us to cherry-picking facts to accommodate prejudices. The truth in many cases is buried under a huge pile of putrid lies and comtemptible deceit.

- You're a farang if you still walk a Bangkok zebra crossing with total confidence passing vehicles will screech to a halt and allow you safe passage. Many farang have tried this but unfortunately not many have lived to tell their tale.

- You're a farang if you still think Red Bull has farang origins.

- You're a farang if after a few years of living in Thailand you still prefer using a fork rather than a spoon to eat rice.

- You're a farang if you still expect Thai politicians to resign over offences like committing adultery while in office. The resignation of someone like General Patraeus, a decorated war hero and the director of the Central Intelligence Agency over an admitted affair with his married biographer would be unheard of here.

Recently in the United Kingdom, government Chief Whip Andrew Mitchell had to hand in his resignation to the prime minister because he swore at a Downing Street police officer and called him a "pleb".

A few years before the Mitchell affair, the then-prime minister Gordon Brown of the previous Labour Government resigned as party leader after that little hiccup known as "losing a general election".

In Thailand we prefer our political and military leaders to be unshackled by high ethical and moral standards, unhindered by the demands of personal accountability and unburdened by the sense of shame that would make lesser men breakdown under the glare of public scrutiny.

- And lastly, you're a farang, if after living here for a decade your Thai is still only good enough to order chicken rice and iced tea.

However, for you uninspired farang who find it hard to learn Thai, look no further than His Excellency Mark Kent, the British Ambassador who gave a whole welcome speech in Thai at a lovely gathering held in the Ambassador's Residence which I attended recently.

For you Brits out there, now you know who to call for free Thai lessons!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 28, 2012, 10:35 am

In fairness to the author of the above article:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... l-a-farang
Writer: Songkran Grachangnetara

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 28, 2012, 10:58 am

Parrot, do you mean Wiking an esteemed member of Udonmap has a column in the Bangkok Post?

pmc
udonmap.com

Post by pmc » November 28, 2012, 11:12 am

well at the end of the day we all are farangs, so why worry about.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 28, 2012, 11:40 am

[quote="rct"]Parrot, do you mean Wiking an esteemed member of Udonmap has a column in the Bangkok Post?[/quote]

No, simply meant that it'd be nice to give the author, Songkran Grachangnetara from the Bangkok Post, credit for what he wrote.

Adding to the list, I'd include:
You're still a falang if you find it strange that people give you invites to weddings/funerals at 5 P.M. on the day before the event.

You're definitely falang material if you attend a wedding or funeral in a suit/tie. You'll know when you've exhausted all your falang genes when you consider wearing jeans to the event, but only wear something better because your better half insisted you do so.

This one for bumper......you're still a falang if you think it's legal to turn right on red! :D You're definitely Thai if you think it's okay to turn right on red.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 28, 2012, 12:51 pm

Heh, guess I am guilty on most counts. ;) About the only one I am not guilty of is the Red Bull origins and walking the dog, but then I am not a Brit. :)

KB

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » November 28, 2012, 2:30 pm

When you cannot work out Thai Logic

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2012, 3:19 pm

- You're a farang if after a few years of living in Thailand you still prefer using a fork rather than a spoon to eat rice.

euughhh ........... bloomin' snobbish Bangkokite .........what happened to fingers ?

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » November 28, 2012, 4:47 pm

Well I am a 'farang' and proud of it - and very pleased I am not a Thai !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 28, 2012, 5:26 pm

joepai wrote:Well I am a 'farang' and proud of it - and very pleased I am not a Thai !
I can well imagine the feeling is mutual. ;)

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by akwoodworker » November 28, 2012, 6:27 pm

Your still a farang if you can't be understood talking with a mouth full of food.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 28, 2012, 7:03 pm

downunder wrote:When you cannot work out Thai Logic
That is because it is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as Thai logic...at least how we understand logic. ;)

(with apologies to those Thai's who DO understand logic, wherever they may be)

KB

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2012, 7:16 pm

You are still most definately a farang if you hit the brake instead of the accelerator when the lights change to amber 50 metres in front of you.
You are still a farang when you look at the odds on the Thai Lottery (or Black Lottery) and keep your money in your pocket.
You MUST still be a farang if you expect a Thai Insurance company to pay out on a claim without using every trick in the book (and many that haven't been written yet) to avoid it.
You must still be a farang if you expect your girlfriends mum and dad to be the same mum and dad she had when she was born.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2012, 7:23 pm

KB_Texas wrote:
downunder wrote:When you cannot work out Thai Logic
That is because it is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as Thai logic...at least how we understand logic. ;)

(with apologies to those Thai's who DO understand logic, wherever they may be)

KB
Someone once told me computers were logical ........yeah like hitting the "Click here to begin" button when you are ready to stop .....I think I prefer the Thai logic :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 28, 2012, 8:29 pm

The pale skin is a sure giveaway. There is no way any of us will be considered non-farang.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2012, 10:06 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:The pale skin is a sure giveaway. There is no way any of us will be considered non-farang.
Hey man .... you'z not seen me afta i'z bin wokin in de cotton (sorry rice) fields all day :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 28, 2012, 10:11 pm

Just been reminded ..... well it is raining, so no suprises statts has been off line due to a power cut.

You know you are still a farang when you think that the guy in charge of an electricity company that allows several HUNDRED power cuts in under 10 years at an estate about 5km from the centre of the city should have been removed from his job long ago

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 28, 2012, 11:06 pm

you know you're still a Farang when you still have a predilection to Thai girls with naturally brown skin versus the "Beauty Whitening Lotion", "Na kao keu pee", paper white complexion preferred by Thais and thoroughly acculturized foreigner....
Dave

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 28, 2012, 11:10 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:The pale skin is a sure giveaway. There is no way any of us will be considered non-farang.
Hey man .... you'z not seen me afta i'z bin wokin in de cotton (sorry rice) fields all day :lol:

That would defeat the purpose of being white. 555+

Do we have to sing 'Old Man River' while lifting and toting those bales of cotton...er...rice all day long?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 29, 2012, 5:45 am

Tell that to the masses of ethnic minorities in Europe who have immigrated there and do not seem to be WHITE but they are farang.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”