Udon Thani Immigration Office

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2013, 11:16 am

BobHelm wrote:mmm.. A multiple entry O-A really only has 1 extension, well maybe I should explain a bit better..

It will have a 'life' of 1 year from date of issue. During that time every time that you enter the kingdom you will be granted a stay of 12 months. So, unless you are a busy traveler, you enter Thailand just after being granted the visa & get a 12 month permission to stay. Then, after 11 months & multiple days you exit to Laos & on return will get granted another stay of 12 months.

In addition...
The Thai Embassy in London say that while you are in Thailand that you must report your address to a local Immigration Office every 90 days. However, of late, I have heard that the Udon Office don't even require that reporting...

If, after the 2 years was up, you wanted to extend your stay then I think that you would need to apply for the Extension to stay based on retirement. That would be on identical rules to anyone else on that permission to stay..or return to London & get another O-A to cover the next 2 years..
Thanks for that clarification; I had guessed as much from other threads and jackspratts chronology on his O-A.

I would assume that even though it is a 'long-stay' visa with 90-day reporting, getting a multiple re-entry permit is possible and carry on hopping in and out for work and play in lieu of reporting?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2013, 11:28 am

tamada wrote:I would assume that even though it is a 'long-stay' visa with 90-day reporting, getting a multiple re-entry permit is possible and carry on hopping in and out for work and play in lieu of reporting?
Yes & No... :D

The hopping in & out would be handled by obtaining a multiple entry O-A rather than a single entry.
However I have never heard of anyone going down this route probably because (especially in the UK) it would be far less hassle to get a multiple entry O - probably based on Marriage if you are under 50.
The problem that you would face with the O-A is as soon as the 12 month from issue is up that you no longer have a visa. So, as soon as you exit Thailand after the date has passed you have nothing to re-enter against.
As far as I am aware it would be impossible to get a re-entry permit against an expired visa & using the O-A you are always 'on the visa' & never being granted 'permission to stay'.
As soon as you ask about getting 'permission to stay' then you are in exactly the same position as everyone else on a Marriage or Retirement Permission to Stay as far as supporting documents are concerned..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2013, 11:39 am

It must be the rubbish coffee this morning Bob. Thanks for keeping pace with me!

A multi-entry 1-year O-A won't need any re-entry permit, just the (possible) 90-day reporting. My oversight (again).

However, the extension of the O-A (after 1 year). As long as it is applied for before the original 1-year multi O-A expires, does that extension grandfather the original O-A's multi-entry classification or does the 2nd year (on the extension) require re-entry permits if one is popping in and out (in lieu of 90-day reports)?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2013, 11:56 am

No probs Tam... :D

No once the visa date has expired the 'second year' only lasts as long as until you exit Thailand the first time or 12 months, whichever happens first...then it is dead, never to be resurrected... :D
So the O-A is good for a year from being issued (which can give you another full year if you enter Thailand the day before it expires) but no longer than that..

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 18, 2013, 12:10 pm

I may be misreading what you are saying about the 2nd 12 months on an O-A, Bob.

During that period (ie the 2nd 12 months) you can get single, or multiple, re-entry permit/s. It/they will remain valid until the 2nd 12 month period has expired, when you must then get another visa, or an extension.

That exactly describes my position.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » March 18, 2013, 12:25 pm

To get the 2 years out of an OA get a Multi Entry. During that 1st year you can exit as many times as you wish you will get stamped in for a year on each return.
Exit and re-enter just before the expiry date this will then give you a further 12 mths. If you then wish to leave Thailand during this 2nd year you will need a re-entry permit to keep the visa alive.
After the 2nd year either re-new back in your home country or get an extension.
One of the main attractions of the OA is if you dont need to show funds for 2yrs and dont need to do 90 day border runs.
Last edited by Tafia on March 18, 2013, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2013, 12:29 pm

No, you did not misread what I said Jack...
I was just wrong!! :D

Live & learn, as they say...
So, if you want to exit during the second year you just go to an Immigration Office & get a re-entry permit??
And there is no limit on the number of entries???

Interesting.....If I want to increase the time between my returns to the UK...thank you...

Thanks for the confirmation Taff as well..
Is it time consuming to get the Scotland Yard clearance??

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » March 18, 2013, 12:31 pm

Does anyone here have that type of visa? How recently was it obtained and how easy was it?
Got mine in 2008 and its easier than it sounds.
You can download the medical Cert from the Thai Embassy Londons web site get your Dr to sign it.
Police report ask at your local station. Bank statements pension details income etc.
Follow the info in Bobs post and dont forget to get all your paperwork verified by a Notary public.
No Interview, hand in one day collect 1or 2 days later depends how busy they are. Must apply in person.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » March 18, 2013, 12:34 pm

BobHelm wrote:No, you did not misread what I said Jack...
I was just wrong!! :D

Live & learn, as they say...
So, if you want to exit during the second year you just go to an Immigration Office & get a re-entry permit??
And there is no limit on the number of entries???

Interesting.....If I want to increase the time between my returns to the UK...thank you...

Thanks for the confirmation Taff as well..
Is it time consuming to get the Scotland Yard clearance??
Re-entry 2nd year - Single 1000 ; THB Multi 3800 you just need to decide how many times you want to leave.
Police report - I think mine took about 3 weeks. Get the form from your local nick fill it in and return they send to Scotland Yard and SY reply to you.

You DO need to do 90 day reports.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 18, 2013, 1:00 pm

Wife is attending class with an Officer from Immigration. I need the embassy letter, she also said the bank letter, would be required. No big deal I messed up so a trip to Bangkok after the Songkran. Seems to me that I saw something that said you needed to set an appointment at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok?

howard
udonmap.com

Post by howard » March 18, 2013, 2:31 pm

Bumper there have been numerous posts that a letter from Embassy confirming that your income is of the required amount is sufficient without the necessity of a bank letter (forgive me if the rules have changed but I did mine recently) with no problem. I wouldn't pay too much attention to a woman who allegedly works in the immigration and allegedly told your wife about the regulations. [-X :D

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 18, 2013, 2:33 pm

You make the appointment online.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 18, 2013, 2:47 pm

Is it possible that UdonMap Summarizes the different visa rules in a lock thread. Its sometimes confusing to read someone's experience that my differ from another.

Members can react by PM if the summarize is not correct.

Members can still discussing their experiences on the public forum in (new)threads.

With the different kind of members living in and outside Thailand and their feedback UdonMap can then be the nr 1 trustworthy information center for visa rules.....hehehehe
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 18, 2013, 3:03 pm

bumper wrote:...she also said the bank letter, would be required.
howard wrote:Bumper there have been numerous posts that a letter from Embassy confirming that your income is of the required amount is sufficient without the necessity of a bank letter (forgive me if the rules have changed but I did mine recently) with no problem.
Perhaps the rules have changed...again?
The past two renewals for me 2011 & 2012, I brought in letters from the bank, and also copies of my bank passbooks. The IO didn't even look at them, just handed them back to us. The IO told my wife: "not needed anymore."

A question: Has any one been asked to furnish the immigration form: "Notification Form For House Master Or The Possessor Of The Residence Where Alien Has Stayed"?
A friend of mine who recently moved residences, went in to renew his retirement extension, no problem with the renewal, except he was fined 2000 baht for not filing the "Notification Form For House Master Or The Possessor Of The Residence Where Alien Has Stayed", in a timely matter.
He said the IO claimed they could fine him up to 20,000 baht for not filing.
The only time I have ever been asked for, or needed this form was when I got, or renewed my driving license, and when I bought a car.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 18, 2013, 3:09 pm

@UdonMap,

You see my point???

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 18, 2013, 3:46 pm

George there is absolutely no point in anyone trying to do that.
It will be an exercise in futility as the Officer is quite entitled, by law, to demand anything that he deems suitable in order to process the application. If you disagree with his request then your only choice is to ask to see his superior or try another office.

What you get on here at the moment is just about as good as it is possible to get - actual experiences of customers turning up at the door to obtain the product. What they experience is then an indication of what the next person seeing the same officer is likely to get.

It is futile, as you can read on ThaiVisa, to turn up with a copy of the known 'legal requirements' because the officer is permitted to do something else.
Plus, what happens at Udon Office has little bearing on what happens at Nong Khai office.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 18, 2013, 5:38 pm

BobHelm wrote:It is futile, as you can read on ThaiVisa, to turn up with a copy of the known 'legal requirements' because the officer is permitted to do something else.Plus, what happens at Udon Office has little bearing on what happens at Nong Khai office.
The immigration officer has to carry out the immigration laws and regulations. But what you are saying is that the officer can implement the laws the way he wants to. If this is really the case, then you r right that info about the known laws & regulations might be welcome only for those who never apply a th visa.

welshwizard
udonmap.com

Post by welshwizard » March 18, 2013, 6:38 pm

Everything on this thread is 100% true and 100% wrong. As long as these horrible people have total control over their office does not matter 1% what the rules are as they make new ones up when you get to their office. When they asked me where my wife was and would not give me a 60 day extension to an imm o visa without her was the bitches way of refusing me a visa to get bahts of me. When i get my 12 month multi o visa from hull by post they do not ask to see my wife just my marraige certificate and when i get my 90 imm o visa from laos never ask for my wife just marraige certificate so why does my wife need to be present to get an extension on an existing visa. She does not . But this bitch would destroy my life and force me to leave the country if i do not give her 500 bahts. 18 MONTHS UNTIL I LEAVE THAILAND counting the days. If you want to be be monkeys and jump through the hoops for people who are who are so corrupt ,have no compassion , no ethics and look at you as their inferiors stay here . but my dealings with immigration arew forcing me to leave this god forsaken country
ww

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 18, 2013, 6:44 pm

I think it really depends on which officer you get. Easier to get the bank letter, then to come back a second time. :D

Of course there is the other option as posted. One thing for sure if your not happy here best thing to do is leave.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 18, 2013, 6:54 pm

Just got this back from American Services, thye may or may not ask. I will get one, already messed up once that is enough :roll:
From

Bangkok ACS

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thai Immigration requires individuals seeking to acquire a retirement visa or extend their visa under special circumstances to obtain an income affidavit from their Embassy in Thailand. We provide this service Monday-Friday, 0730-1100 and 1300-1400, except holidays and the last Friday of each month. The $50.00 notary fee is payable in THB, USD or by major credit card, except AMEX. The only document we require is a current ID card, preferably your passport. We do not require proof of income, as you are swearing to the validity of your statement under penalty of perjury; however, you will most likely have to present evidence of income at the Thai Immigration Bureau such as a bank statement.

Please make an appointment online for a notary service. You may pick up the affidavit here at the Embassy, or download it from our website:
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/ ... tirees.pdf

We hope you find this information helpful.

Kind Regards,

American Citizens Services

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”