Support the Tourist Police

General Udon Thani topics only!
arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 15, 2006, 9:47 am

That sounds a good answer Harry. I'm impressed. :)

I get bored out of my mind here too. I'm not a golfer and can't stand Thai TV. That's why I've got so involved in the Forum. I guess that may also apply to many of us.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 15, 2006, 9:51 am

Right on Harry. I agree 100%.

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » October 15, 2006, 9:55 am

Nice one Harry.Certainly beats sitting around in the night market drinking beer.
Bald is beautiful.

Bubbagoes
udonmap.com

Tourist Police

Post by Bubbagoes » October 15, 2006, 10:20 am

A friend of mibe asked me if I might be interested in helping with the tourist police and I said yes.

Like Arjay, I'm bored out of my mind, I'm too old to screw all day, get too many hangovers to drink much, and don't want to go back to teaching.

Quite honestly I'm embarassed at the really stupid things that some farangs do here.

I grew in in a Irish Catholic Cop / Priest family, so maybe its not a far throw.

Might be interesting, maybe they'll give me a big gun.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 15, 2006, 10:29 am

Question for Doc.You said re:dream team, that the tourist police were taking no further action against them because no one would make a complaint against the other.Now my question: Is it not a criminal offence to walk in a public place armed with a dangerous weapon, in this case two knives, and to use them to commit bodily harm? If it is, and I'm sure it must be. Why did the tourist police not charge them there selves and put them up before the court, where if found guilty they would have been immediately deported and Udon would have been a little bit safer for the rest of us.? :?:

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » October 15, 2006, 11:12 am

Re: Dream(less) Team

First, I have been sick the last few days (recently in hospital) so I have not directly spoken to either the TP or any of the Dream(less) Team. Primary reason is because I have a bad case of laryngitis, I can't speak worth a damn.

Walking around with a pocket knife or even two, is not a crime. Using a pocket knife (or two) for the purpose of cutting another person would be a crime.

One of the elements of a crime is that you must have a victim who is willing to press criminal charges. The only time that a victim's wishes are not heeded is if the victim is deceased.

There have been two reports on the incident. One is that the 3 clowns were engaged in decorating each other's bodies with knives in a bar in order to avoid having to pay a bar bill. The other report is that the knife decoration party took place in the house that they were renting.

Given that they were arrested in the house that they were renting, and there was blood on the walls - inside and outside - I suspect that the events transpired at the house rather than in public. In that event, public safety was not an issue.

In many respects, Thai law follows British law. However, the laws here are not as "advanced" as they are in Britain. In Britain, as in the US, that type of assault would result in criminal charges being filed on behalf of the vicitm. However, when it came time for the victim to go to court, and the victim didn't show, or refused to testify, then the charges would be dropped. Here in Thailand, they "avoid" those types of problems by checking to see if someone wants to press charges at the time of the event. If the answer is no, then nothing will be done.

Two of them went to the Monkey House, and were released the next day. The reason: No one was filing any criminal complaints. No complaints ='s no crime being committed.

Even though not stated in any of the postings, there has been a rumor that one of them had been carrying a gun around town. To set the record straight - there is no gun. Instead, what he has been carrying has been a cigarette lighter that looks like a gun. Not a crime in Thailand.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » October 15, 2006, 11:44 am

RE: BKKSTAN - Why play tourist cop?

First - I have been involved in various areas of law enforcement for over 20 years in my prior life. That should not imply that I am psychologically fit - but instead should probably indicate that I'm not - but at this point in time, that would be a moot point. I yam what I yam. :lol:

No - I don't speak much Thai. Yes, I do have a good handle on Thai culture. I have a much better handle on "falang culture" - especially that aspect of falang culture that seems to encourage some falangs to come here as guests in this country, and try to impose their own cultures, beliefs and value systems on the Thais and do as they damned well please to the discomfort of others.

So, yes, I am concerned about both Thais and Falangs. I view my role as that of a mediator and a liason between the falangs and the Thais. To that extent, yes, I am concerned about the falang image. If there is something that I can do to avoid ill feelings towards either group, then I have accomplished something.

As for the supposed authority - forget it. Yes, there is a lot of authority that could be had with the position, but I don't want it. I find it much easier to work behind the scenes and resolve problems rather than being confrontational and hitting things head on. I have yet to "wear" all the equipment that is available.

I do it to give something back to the community. It keeps me from being the town drunk and gives me something productive to do. Yes, I am also involved in other types of projects here too, but I like to diversify. I figure that since I am going to live here, I might as well take an active part in the community. I did it back in the States - and it comes as second nature to me.

Some (Thais) might call it "making merit." Might be some truth to that. From my perspective, when it is time for me to hit that BBQ Pit there at the temple, I ain't going to know anything anyway. If, by living a fairly good and decent life here, it gives folks a reason to go out and have a big party when it is time for my final BBQ - then what I have done has been worth it.

I figure that I must have quite a bit of respect from the Thais as it is already. When news hit the "jungle phones" that I was in the hospital for a few days, 15 different Thais came up to visit me and check on me.

So, I reckon that my motivations are honorable.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 15, 2006, 12:17 pm

Hi Doc. Sorry to hear about your recent incapacity, hope your fully recovered now. If I understand your reply correctly you are saying the police have no powers of arrest unless a 3rd person is willing to complain. Do you really mean that I can break the law with impunity and providing no one complains, the police would not take action? You compare Thai and UK laws, but in the latter case , it is an arrestable offence to break a law, it doesn't need a complainant, just being "caught in the act" is grounds enough.Taking your subjection to its logical conclusion, I could rape my daughter and providing neither she or her mother complained there would be no charges filed against me by the police, even if they had proof of the crime, Dna , medical examination etc. I would be free to do it over and over again ad infinitum.
I am not trying to be argumentive over this because I feel in practise you are correct, but in my opinion that isn't how the law should be interpreted but is how it is practised due to reluctance by the police to do their job, protecting the public.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » October 15, 2006, 12:56 pm

you are saying the police have no powers of arrest unless a 3rd person is willing to complain. Do you really mean that I can break the law with impunity and providing no one complains, the police would not take action?
Technically - unless someone complains that there has been a violation against them - there has been no prosecutable crime committed.

Someone acting as a witness to a crime is what enables convictions. No witness, no conviction in a democracy.

Shiah law / Muslim law - different standards.

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » October 15, 2006, 3:41 pm

If you join the volunteers you don't get a gun!!

Let's face it, we farangs would be far too inclined to use them!

The Thai respect for life makes them far more eligible.....hopefully! Yes, BKKStan, that also includes the lives of farangs! Thought I'd get that one in before you did! (Joke!)
Life's a beach.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 17, 2006, 5:37 pm

Doc and Harry,excellent replies to my questions.I am glad to hear that both of you were involved in Law enforcement before coming here!

I have often wondered if the Thais were putting people in positions of authority without a background in law enforcement!As I see it ,that could have a negative outcome!

I definitely empathize with the feelings of doing something useful in retirement versus sitting in the pubs drinking most of the time.

If your Thai is limited ,than I assume the TP's speak adequate English for you to communicate with them.

I would like to see ,what IMO,the ''rabble'' falangs deported.I believe that as part of the visa requirements,actions determined to be detrimental to society is grounds for deportation(paraphrased)!If so ,why don't the police get a little tougher with these characters?

It sounds like both of you are doing honorable service :)

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » October 17, 2006, 8:57 pm

Thanks for that last comment Stan.

The Tourist Police do speak very good English. It's one of the attributes they need to join up. They get paid more than the regulars.

To be honest, Stan, I don't know why the autorities don't come down harder on the likes of the DT. I suppose it's something to do with the fact that they, on this occassion anyway, were only hurting themselves.

One reason why the TP want farangs involved is our understanding of the way farangs think. We all know that some farangs 'blow up' at the merest hint of trouble and that, really, they are just letting off steam or 'posturing' for the sake of losing face.

After a bit of shouting, a push or a prod, things usually quiet down and the two atogonists become the best of pals and drinking buddies. This doesn't seem to happen with the Thai and when a farang starts blowing the police think it's for real and out come the sticks!

When a farang volunteer gets a call and responds, the outcome is usually a beer all round! :)
Life's a beach.

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » October 17, 2006, 9:21 pm

Stan wrote:I definitely empathize with the feelings of doing something useful in retirement versus sitting in the pubs drinking most of the time.
If you are not a cop Stan,what do you do to fill the time you have?
Bald is beautiful.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 17, 2006, 9:37 pm

:lol: fantasize about being the crook :lol: :lol:

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » October 18, 2006, 10:59 am

In other words.......bu**er all. :lol:
Bald is beautiful.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 18, 2006, 11:03 am

:lol: Butter? :lol:

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » October 18, 2006, 11:08 am

Something the more rotund should avoid.
Bald is beautiful.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » October 18, 2006, 11:12 am

:lol: I think it depends on the position in life that you assume :lol:

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » October 18, 2006, 12:27 pm

" VOLUNTEERS WANTED "

The IRS is looking for volunteers in Thailand.

"The IRS picked up some rumours that many farangs are hiding in Thailand from the IRS!!! They are looking for farang volunteers to find them. "
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Coot
udonmap.com

Post by Coot » October 18, 2006, 12:54 pm

I'll help,got an e-mail address?

edit: found it

http://www.irs.gov/compliance/enforceme ... 78,00.html

If an American annoys you then send in an e-mail and put the IRS on his back. :D
Bald is beautiful.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”