Too many in prison for far too long: US attorney

World news discussion forum
fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 15, 2013, 5:20 pm

Your guess is as good as mine. I haven't heard any cheering from my former colleagues who are still working in the system so I would guess not much has been revealed as yet. Holder is not someone who I have any warm fuzzy feelings towards but hopefully something positive will come out of it all.

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » August 15, 2013, 5:31 pm

fdimike wrote:Your guess is as good as mine. I haven't heard any cheering from my former colleagues who are still working in the system so I would guess not much has been revealed as yet. Holder is not someone who I have any warm fuzzy feelings towards but hopefully something positive will come out of it all.
We agree. 8)
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 15, 2013, 7:52 pm

jackspratt wrote:It seems there is a push (on UM) to bring back the chain gangs. :roll:
Most definitely! Why in hell should criminals be aloud to live the "Life of Riley" Make em work for their 3 squares a day like the rest of us do AND then you, as another hand wringer, might consider the savings from taxes we may achieve by not having to pay to feed, cloth, and water em. :-#
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 15, 2013, 8:56 pm

Bandung

Apparently you have never seen much less spent any time inside of a prison because if you had you would realize there is no "Life of Riley".

Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Jai » August 15, 2013, 9:13 pm

"What is the stand of Messrs. Rudd and Abbott on this issue? "

The issue of to many Americans in USA prisons, ? As a plastic Australian I would have to say that I don't believe as of yet they have addressed this issue in their election campaign. ... :shock:

That's not to make light of the current situation in Australia Laan Yaa Mo which doesn't cover either of the 2 individuals in much glory.

Maybe Bandung has a gas chamber solution to the problem.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 16, 2013, 1:26 pm

Jai, I was responding to a comment by Khun jackspratt.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 16, 2013, 2:53 pm

Jai wrote: Maybe Bandung has a gas chamber solution to the problem.
That's a bloody ridiculous statement! My thoughts are based the current situation where prisons, these days, offer no deterrent to criminal activity. What is the percentage of repeat offenders in amongst these statistics? Very large!

Certainly hope none of your loved ones become the victim of a freed, repeat offender. I'd bet you'd be changing your tune!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 16, 2013, 3:05 pm

Bandung

Would you please explain to me where you're getting your information because it appears to me you know very little about the US prison system. There are many educational programs available to those incarcerated however, life inside prison (federal/state) is not a picnic. Most prisons are way overcrowded. Violence is a way of life along with homosexual assaults, illegal drug use etc etc. Educational programs are not always available and way underfunded. Is the recidivism rate rate high? Yes. Is there a simple black & white answer to it? No. We already know that harsh sentences do not work, nor does capital punishment. So what's the answer? I would suspect you could make a lot of money if you could come up with a rational solution to the problem which has eluded all who have tried to solve the problems in the past.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 16, 2013, 4:39 pm

There is NOT ONE post where I have directed my comments at the US prison system. If you care to backtrack you will see my thoughts are global!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 16, 2013, 5:40 pm

The topic is concerning the US prison system and not the global prison system.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 16, 2013, 9:05 pm

Bandung

Additionally, to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a global penal system. You can discuss the penal system in a country or compare systems in several countries but not globally as there are far too many systems.

Return to “World News”