Marriage in Thailand

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 27, 2012, 6:31 pm

Khun Harmony, the Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan are automatically provided upon your request. The Old Age Security kicks in at 65 (the age may be raised soon to 67), and, I think you can get the Canada Pension Plan earlier at around 63 or so. These are Government of Canada Pensions. On my death they would go to a spouse, and/or children or anyone I name until their death.

My work pension from a high school goes, upon my death, in the first place to a spouse, if I have one, at age 65. If there is no spouse, it goes to my children. If there are no children, it goes to a beneficiary that I mentioned on the policy. If none is stated, the state gets whatever remains of the pension. The spouse would get that pension until her death even if she re-marries.

The Government of Canada does not discriminated based on age or race in the distribution of the pension after my death. They also recognise same sex marriages as valid for the pension, paying taxes and everything else.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by harmonyudon » March 27, 2012, 6:43 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:My work pension from a high school goes, upon my death, in the first place to a spouse, if I have one, at age 65. If there is no spouse, it goes to my children. If there are no children, it goes to a beneficiary that I mentioned on the policy. If none is stated, the state gets whatever remains of the pension. The spouse would get that pension until her death even if she re-marries.
What happend if you are single at 65 and you marry afterwords with for example a thai woman in Thailand??
The Thai widow can claim a widow-pension?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 27, 2012, 7:21 pm

Yes. In the first instance, the pension goes to the spouse. They don't call it a widow pension. It is my pension that goes to a spouse/children/benificiary/state on my death.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by jackspratt » March 27, 2012, 8:19 pm

harmonyudon wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:My work pension from a high school goes, upon my death, in the first place to a spouse, if I have one, at age 65. If there is no spouse, it goes to my children. If there are no children, it goes to a beneficiary that I mentioned on the policy. If none is stated, the state gets whatever remains of the pension. The spouse would get that pension until her death even if she re-marries.
What happend if you are single at 65 and you marry afterwords with for example a thai woman in Thailand??
The Thai widow can claim a widow-pension?
George I am struggling to understand your deep and abiding interest in the pension schemes of countries other than The Netherlands. :-k

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by harmonyudon » March 27, 2012, 8:36 pm

jackspratt wrote:George I am struggling to understand your deep and abiding interest in the pension schemes of countries other than The Netherlands. :-k
Why?? I'm very interested in pensioen-schemes from all over the world.
So I can make a better comparison :D :D

Are you also ONLY interested in the premier league in you are from the UK?? :confused: :roll: :roll:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by jackspratt » March 27, 2012, 9:02 pm

harmonyudon wrote:
Are you also ONLY interested in the premier league in you are from the UK?? :confused: :roll: :roll:
No. :confused: :roll: :roll:

maaka
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by maaka » March 28, 2012, 4:12 am

thanks Trubrit, didnt know that. thought it was just a war thingy..
at the rate we are going downunder, there wont be a pension in another 20yrs time..to many baby boomers..more blue rinse brigade, than actual workers, so the money just wont be there..government is already telling us mature ones, to save for our own retirement..

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by harmonyudon » March 28, 2012, 7:52 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:The spouse would get that pension until her death even if she re-marries.
If I remember well there is/was a Canadian who asked 'newbie' questions about Thai women on different
fora. What would be your advice with regard to Canadian pension(s) as described by Khun Laan Yaa Mo
to this potential easy victem of diva's???

Mine: play the game and explain the pension-system but marry with a village ceremony/party only....hehehe :-"
Appoint the one you care in for example Canada as the beneficiary
\:D/ \:D/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 28, 2012, 6:33 pm

Up to them to work things out really. I have no advice for them.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by harmonyudon » March 29, 2012, 10:23 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:Up to them to work things out really......
You are right.
My example was about a heartless diva but perhaps she can change.
If its allowed to change the beneficiary on a later stage perhaps its to be considered.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 29, 2012, 6:38 pm

There are lots of heartless people about, male and female, all over the globe. Try to avoid them.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by harmonyudon » March 29, 2012, 7:09 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:There are lots of heartless people about, male and female, all over the globe. Try to avoid them.
Exactly,but love can make people blind.

Spoke with many couples who are happy here but spoke also with many who would make other choices
if they knew what they know now after a disaster. So some hints/advices what you read here
and in some other threads to 'newbies' can not harm :D

Look also for example:
help-please-t24495.html

martinkb

Marriage in Thailand

Post by martinkb » January 4, 2013, 12:58 pm

do they have same sex marriages in thaialnd? just curious :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by Shado » January 4, 2013, 2:46 pm

From Wiki: Thailand is one of the most tolerant countries in Asia in regards to homosexuality. Both male and female same-sex sexual activity are legal in Thailand, but same-sex couples and households headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for the same legal protections available to opposite-sex couples.

However, you can marry a dead person.

http://www.inquisitr.com/185642/thai-ma ... r-funeral/

You can marry twin sisters as well.

http://www.phuket-info.com/forums/news- ... sters.html

kopkei
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by kopkei » April 26, 2013, 10:28 am

i have just read on the belgium embassy website that aparantly according to a change in the thai system , foreigners whom are living permanent in thailand , and are registered at their embassy here , are required to show the yellow tabien baan only as proof of domicile , and not any other document accepted ,in case they want to marry in thailand...
anyone heard of this one yet?....it doesn't apply to me ( married 16 years ) but could be a problem to others?....

isaanlawyers
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by isaanlawyers » September 27, 2013, 5:30 pm

martinkb wrote:do they have same *** marriages in thaialnd? just curious :D
No. Thailand is still forbidding marriage in between same "s-e"x" couples (I put it like this to avoid being deleted.
But it might be the first country in South East Asia to do it.
There has been many articles in the newspapers recently about it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 15156.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 02738.html
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/b ... 2u5bm.html

henry89

Marriage in Thailand

Post by henry89 » August 13, 2014, 4:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this informative post on wedding in Thailand!! My elder sister got married and lives in Thailand from last five years and she always shared her experiences of weddings that she attends in Thailand.

macca46
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by macca46 » September 17, 2014, 10:46 am

Can someone answer this one for me I have read quite a lot of threads and post's also sent an email to Aus embassy in BKK no reply though (typical) QUESTION do I have to front up at the embassy personally to have my documents certified
or can I have done by mail?

Thanks

downunder
udonmap.com

Marriage in Thailand

Post by downunder » September 17, 2014, 5:08 pm

Macca, call me 0844010250. You have to go to Embassy. There is much more to do so please call

Return to “Thailand Law”