Dog E collars

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mobaan
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by Mobaan » November 8, 2013, 6:48 pm

Did you have to pay import duty when you got the item from the UK?

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » November 9, 2013, 9:06 am

Yes there was an import fee. I suppose because it was a electronic device. It had been opened by customs I assume.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by Mobaan » November 9, 2013, 8:37 pm

What was the actual cost of the item , what was the declared value , and most important -how much did you have to pay in duty.
Looking at that total price tag we can decide if it worthwhile =or try to get somebody to hand carry something small like that on their next visit.

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » November 10, 2013, 8:28 am

The collar was about $160.00, including shipping. Import duty around 800 Baht

It has the ability to work with three dogs at once and works up to 250 meters. It can also work on sound only once the dog has the picture. I'm trying at the 3 setting. My wife wasn't doing it right, so she adjusted it to five and I didn't know it, We have three dogs the one with the collar enjoys going after one of them. So I corrected him at the five level. He avoided the dog the rest of the evening. So they do work.

I had just been using the sound, so today when I walk him I will be using three and see if he responds to that.

To be honest I have trained my own dogs for years, this is the first time I have had to use the E-collar. So my thoughts are most dogs don't need it. What they need is to be close to the family ( IE) spending time with them. Watch the dog whisperer. I'm using those techniques with the dog as well. I will only use the dog collar when I don't get the proper response.

My biggest problem is him going after other dogs, right now that is for play, that could change in an instant. He has also started growling and biting at us. So it was time. There is a guy saying he has dog training experience. That might be a better bet when you get your dog. You will need to put some time in with the training. Most of us have things to learn ourselves.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by Mobaan » November 11, 2013, 3:22 am

We heard about a dog trainer with the Thai army in Udon.
He has Rottweiler puppies for sale for THB 8000 and does provide "Schooling "for THB 4000 per month .
We will check this out next month.

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » November 14, 2013, 11:52 am

Well I have had some experience with the collar now so I can offer some thoughts. It's an excellent training aid for head strong dogs. For most you wouldn't need it.

The idea that you will continually punish the dog, doesn't fly if you use it correctly. I'm finding that most instances the tone is enough to change the behavior. You only use the shock when the tone doesn't work.

I have managed to cut my training time in half now, which means the other two get walks as well.

There are four parts to his training walk, the first I let him run at leash length, so he has a bit of fun. The other three at the heal position. He does well with the tone only and voice control. I still give him treats when he does things correctly. I follow the original training I looked up for Siberian Husky's,

Other dogs he still need's to zapped, with time I think that will change as well

His behavior in the house after walk has gotten much better. He still eight months old so like a teenager in a lot of ways. Sometimes he just ha to push it to the edge :lol:

I have been thinking about the guy who trained Police Dogs. Sorry I would like him to attack on command. but, only on command That is a real fine line so I will give that a lot of time before I venture forth on that one. [-o<

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » November 18, 2013, 7:56 am

[email protected]

I will send you an e-mail, I'm not crazy about the E collar either. But the answer is I can't control the dog in certain instances without it. That being said he has calmed down a lot since we started to use it. The tone is all it takes most of the time. He now walks at a heal and sits every time I stop.

I looked up the methods on training his breed and follow them, before I got the E collar

I didn't import the dog he was born and bred in Thailand. we have him now I won't give up on him.

I understand your concerns. But, the fact is someone was going to have him Thailand. With us he won't end up being a WAT dog, running loose on the streets, with no care. I have owned dogs all my life, this is the first one I have had problems training.

I asked for your help and you said no. So you have given up before even seeing the dog. I kept that all private, with all due respect it should have stayed that way.

I'm confused you say you won't train the dog, then later you say to send a e-mail, that you would train the dog?

I will participate in the training, so the question is are you going to?

If someone like Ceasar Malan uses E collars, there must be times they are needed. Show me a better way and I'm very happy to learn it

I really didn't want to address this in public. But, you brought it up.

By the way I owned a Malamute in Los Angeles no snow there either, I trained him myself with no problems. One little problem he would instantly kill any dog that crossed his path. I take this breed very seriously. Right now he wants to play. But, I have seen that turn in a instant at times already.

So I would not have asked for your help if the dog was under control.

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » November 18, 2013, 4:36 pm

Lowy, you say English is your language I have to assume you have read through the the entire thread. Did you miss the part where the dog responds to tone only. Like everyone else I assumed you would be shocking the dog constantly. That is simply not the case.

As to not taking the dog on the streets, exercise is important. Especially with a eight month old puppy. I have made progress with my training of the dog and I have very lo little problem compared to where I started with walking him. I looked the breed up and followed the recommended training, guess you missed that as well.

Others have the same breed here and did well with training. I know you would not have seen that.

You just can't get off this husky thing in Thailand. It matters not if your right or wrong, they are here.

There was a reason I declined your subsequent offer to help. ATTITUDE

So I'm done with this conversation, it has to go two ways to mean anything. listening is not one of your strong points.

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by monkeyman » November 19, 2013, 7:27 am

My Husky was given to me as my friend was nervous about him getting jealous of his new born daughter, I used the e collar for only 3 days and now he can be let off the lead on the farm to play with the other dogs, even though he has a long coat (which we clip regular) he copes with the heat the same as the others, I think the reason he is acclimatized well to the weather is that he was born here,,, :-k

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » November 19, 2013, 8:04 am

We have two other dogs had the husky for six months now, most of the time he is outside. I haven't noticed anything different as to heat about him. Probably the same reason born here.

I have noticed that he is very possessive of me, probably because I do the training. He gets easier to walk everyday, after about three walks the tone was enough to control him. Of the three dogs he wants to be the boss, We are now able to have all three dogs in the same room with no problems.

The two things I have noticed about him is he is smart and he is stubborn.

I noticed after a very stressful visit to the VET, a guy reached down to pet him and he snapped at him. I don't let people to pet him.

I have thought about getting him a haircut before hot season. That's a maybe now.

He does bark when people come around the house, that's good enough. It would be good to have him a protection for the family. Doesn't seem to be in their nature.

I've never been able train any dog in a day, it takes time and effort.

I have to be honest I didn't get the e-collar for fun. The dog needed it in certain instances,those are getting further and further part with each training day.

In the end he is a real character, and fun to be with. But he is like all puppy's loves to chew things up, that is slowing down as well. Verbal correction is all that takes.

He pulled one yesterday that i had never seen before. He got both front paws though his choke chain, it was lodged so tight you couldn't get a finger between it and his chest. I'm now the proud owner of bolt cutters :lol: Only way to get it off. Went to a shorter chain.

Well he and I get exercise each morning.

I will watch him with the heat, since they actually have two coats. We have A Bang Keao needs a hair cut for the summer, so maybe it will be two now.

Thanks for the encouragement.

bumper
udonmap.com

Dog E collars

Post by bumper » April 10, 2014, 6:16 pm

Well it has been long time since I posted anything on this and now I have some experience, What I have found is that it was very quick that you could stop unwanted behavior with just the beep sound. So your not shocking the dog all the time as a matter of fact our is just a year old now, still has some of the puppy traits. Couple of beeps he is ready to listen.

Siberian Huskies are all that they trainer said they would be. Somethings like taking food the collar wasn't needed. He sits and waits for his food until you tell him it's OK

We can take anything from his mouth with the command give, again no collar needed. He makes mistakes. But, less and less with time. I'm waiting to buy new furniture until I know he is done chewing it up.

He spends his day in the house in the air. Sleeps outside at night. I will say this I never want three dogs at once again. They are all trying to be the pack leader, they forget that is my job.

I don't walk him anymore, not a problem to walk him. But he can jump straight up chest high, hasn't figured out he can go over the fence yet and I would like to leave it that way, He gets exercise playing with the other dogs
, more then they want :lol:

Just like the Malamute I had, he will talk to you, he lets you know when he wants something.

He really has turned out to be a great dog

I could do more with him, But, I like him the way he is.

The one odd things we ha cut at about seven months. But, he still tries to hump the other dogs, That was surprising.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”