Laos Visa Cost (in USD) ??

Information & Travel
SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » December 7, 2013, 12:29 pm

We're heading up to Nong Khai next week and we'll over to Laos for a bit.

Can anyone confirm that the visa cost for an American is still 35 USD on weekdays? I could get the visa here in Khon Kaen at the Lao consulate, but they only accept Thai baht - 1,500-1,600.

Also, where can I find some 3DM products in Nong Khai?

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » December 7, 2013, 1:17 pm

the last time I went if I remember correctly it was $32 for US passport holders
dont forget to have a passport photo too!

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » December 7, 2013, 1:33 pm

Pretty sure I paid 35 a few months ago. if stocking up, why not drive over yourself, everything is cheaper in Laos, alcohol anyway.

if wanting to make it as inexpensive as possible, just a turn around, get visa from KK, then take intern'l bus r/t.

2 different options with different objectives.....LOL

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 7, 2013, 1:46 pm

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » December 7, 2013, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yeah, taking the bus from KK to Vientiane is quite convenient, but it requires the purchase of the Laos visa PRIOR to getting on the bus at a cost of 1,500-1,600 baht. Also, I just need to pop over the border and back. 35 USD is roughly 1,100 baht these days.

I heard that the exchange rate you get at the booths on the Laos side of the Friendship Bridge aren't nearly as good as at a Thai bank. Also, their hours of operation can be spotty. I've got a little stash of greenbacks at home, though.

We'll be staying at The Mut Mee in Nong Khai...always have had a good experience there, but this time we're going to do the dinner cruise up (or down) The Mekong River...good time of year for the temperature.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 8, 2013, 1:15 pm

I had to change some money last month at the exchange next to immigration after crossing at Nong Khai (because my dollar notes were to tatty, they will only accept very good ones); rate was about the same as a bank in udon. If only needing a few dollars for the visa, don't worry about it - at worst you loose 30 baht, probably more like 10 baht.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » December 8, 2013, 1:41 pm

SkyyWalker wrote:Thanks for the replies, everyone. Yeah, taking the bus from KK to Vientiane is quite convenient, but it requires the purchase of the Laos visa PRIOR to getting on the bus at a cost of 1,500-1,600 baht. Also, I just need to pop over the border and back. 35 USD is roughly 1,100 baht these days.

I heard that the exchange rate you get at the booths on the Laos side of the Friendship Bridge aren't nearly as good as at a Thai bank. Also, their hours of operation can be spotty. I've got a little stash of greenbacks at home, though.

We'll be staying at The Mut Mee in Nong Khai...always have had a good experience there, but this time we're going to do the dinner cruise up (or down) The Mekong River...good time of year for the temperature.
ok, much more than just a quick border run. if by self and wanted cheap and easy, the bus would be the way to go. although overcharged for visa, save plenty of petrol cost and can kill some time in town, munch and few bevs, so not all just a turn around. dropped at morning market bus stop, if still the same, no need for tuk tuk, a good day out.

Return to “Laos”