Don't Try This in the US

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by parrot » February 5, 2014, 4:02 pm

I can't say no one would try this back in the US, but I can say in all my years living there, I'd never seen anyone try it. A few days ago, while filling up at the PTT station near the new Ngeesoon, a Honda Civic pulls up to the pump, mom opens the passenger door and requests the attendant to "เต็มถัง" dtem thang "fill it up" while her daughter continued nursing her baby in the driver's seat.
I usually try to get photos of unusual things that take place in Thailand....but in this case, I decided it was better if I didn't ask if she minded me taking her photo.

t.i.t........never a dull moment over here!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by FrazeeDK » February 5, 2014, 9:10 pm

hmm.. in the U.S. no cell phone talking, no cell texting, no drunk driving... I don't know if no nursing the baby is on the list.. I reckon they'd probably get her for not having the kid in a car seat though..
Dave

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by semperfiguy » February 6, 2014, 9:43 am

Parrot, I can only imagine that one day you will see a lady driver nursing a baby, holding a pet dog in her lap, smoking a cigarette and talking on her cell phone...all at the same time. I'm sure it happens often here...we just don't see it. Thai women are excellent multi-taskers! [-X =D> :-k :confused:
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by FrazeeDK » February 6, 2014, 1:23 pm

or even better doing all those things and driving a motorcycle!
Dave

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by semperfiguy » February 6, 2014, 4:23 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:or even better doing all those things and driving a motorcycle!
\:D/ :confused: :confused:
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by parrot » April 11, 2014, 6:40 pm

This post has nothing to do with nipple sucking. But it's another in a long line of things that you don't want to try in the US.
For the past few days, one of my eyes has been bothering me. I tried some eyedrops for a few days but the problem persisted. This morning, I called John (the international consultant) at Bangkok Hospital and asked if Dr Usa was working today. He said yes and asked what my problem was. I briefly described the problem, he rang to the nurse's station and arranged an appointment for 1PM.....TODAY.
I know nothing about eyes, but if I had to entrust them to someone, it'd be Dr Usa. She's the kind of doctor that makes your blood pressure drop by 20 points. After tests with 3 different machines and then further probed with a close up lens, she described my problem (minor) and prescribed some medicine to get things back to normal. I was out of the hospital, eyes irrigated, medicine in hand, bill paid, in 50 minutes.

I can't say for sure how long I'd have to wait for an non-emergency appointment with a doctor of her caliber in the US, but I'd guess 2 weeks isn't a stretch. And I know for certain that I'd walk out a lot lighter in the wallet back in the US than I did at Bangkok Hospital.
Another good day in paradise.

parrot
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by parrot » April 17, 2014, 3:27 pm

Walked into the vehicle registration office (downstairs AEK) this morning at 11:52. Walked out with my new registration at 11:56. As I was whiling away the 4 minutes, I thought of the last time I walked in the door of a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in San Antonio and faced a very long line of people snaked around the office. That was many years ago....things might be better now.....they might be worse. But I can't ever recall going into a DMV office on business and walking out 4 minutes later.....mission accomplished.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by semperfiguy » April 17, 2014, 3:33 pm

parrot wrote:Walked into the vehicle registration office (downstairs AEK) this morning at 11:52. Walked out with my new registration at 11:56. As I was whiling away the 4 minutes, I thought of the last time I walked in the door of a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in San Antonio and faced a very long line of people snaked around the office. That was many years ago....things might be better now.....they might be worse. But I can't ever recall going into a DMV office on business and walking out 4 minutes later.....mission accomplished.
Makes me wonder what percentage of drivers here actually have a license and what percentage of those actually renew them. That probably explains the short wait. Just an observation................

parrot
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by parrot » April 17, 2014, 6:28 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
parrot wrote:Walked into the vehicle registration office (downstairs AEK) this morning at 11:52. Walked out with my new registration at 11:56. As I was whiling away the 4 minutes, I thought of the last time I walked in the door of a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office in San Antonio and faced a very long line of people snaked around the office. That was many years ago....things might be better now.....they might be worse. But I can't ever recall going into a DMV office on business and walking out 4 minutes later.....mission accomplished.
Makes me wonder what percentage of drivers here actually have a license and what percentage of those actually renew them. That probably explains the short wait. Just an observation................
Sfg, I'd venture a guess that most everyone who lives in or occasionally ventures into the city has one (that doesn't make them good drivers). Not so many red moons ago, the same activity required strong elbows and several hours, if not all day. Of course, the same applied to getting a drivers license, renewing a visa, getting a thai passport/ID card.....most anything involving a government employee and a non-government employee.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by FrazeeDK » April 17, 2014, 7:21 pm

Registration and licensing here are two completely different issues.. To get your registration renewed, you show your liability insurance, pay your tax, and get your annual registration/tax paid sticker.. I don't recall having to show a license to do that..

SFG's comment on licenses is valid.. I only know of a couple of my relatives here that have valid M/C driver's licenses. The rest rarely come into town so don't bother for the most part with licenses, insurance or tax registration... Of course, having a license here is no indication that person has any driving ability whatsoever....
My wife was commenting on that issue today while observing some atrocious driving (aiming a vehicle more like it) coming down 22 today.. Maybe, some day, they will institute and enforce mandatory drivers' training, helmet wearing and an aggressive point penalty scheme to get bad drivers off the road.
Dave

thrilled
udonmap.com

Don't Try This in the US

Post by thrilled » April 18, 2014, 1:44 am

I guess I'm to old.Until I was in my 20's all gas stations put gas in your car,oil,cleaned your win hied,checked air in tires.They could care less about breast feeding or anything else for that matter

Return to “Society and culture”