Thai shop security

General Udon Thani topics only!
Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by Balthasar G. » February 20, 2014, 9:32 am

dezzer wrote:Balt, where are you from? are you a septic tank?
Ha,ha! No mate, I ain't a septic [-(

I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

dezzer
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by dezzer » February 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

qua sera sera.
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by semperfiguy » February 20, 2014, 3:56 pm

My question would be "how prevalent is shoplifting in stores like Makro, Big-C, Global House, Do Home, and so on". And also, "are Thai customers offended by the intrusion of all the security checks". We farangs see it as a direct assault on our integrity and an insinuation that we are thieves. Personally, I won't be going back to Do Home because I felt that their security checks were "over the top" and totally unnecessary. Seems to me that retailers need to find a balance somewhere between loss to theft of goods and loss of business from customers who are turned off by their methods.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Jello
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by Jello » February 20, 2014, 7:34 pm

I would imagine shoplifting is just as prevalent here as anywhere else in the world if not more.

I haven't been to DoHome, but have not been put-off by the security at other stores here. Seems reasonable to me that they don't allow you to walk into the store with a back-pack or bag from other stores.

Contrary to what some here seem to think, the "receipt-check" after you've paid isn't about you. Its about crooked cashiers who allow friends check-out without paying for all of their merchandise.

Having worked in retail before, I can tell you that employee theft is just as much of a problem as customer theft.
I can also say that shoplifters cannot be profiled. I've seen people of all ages including the elderly caught shoplifting.

I've noticed at Tesco that the stock-room has a security guard at the door checking employees!
UFF DA!

MALC
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by MALC » February 20, 2014, 7:44 pm

makro also have a security check on all their staff that go to stock room or toilets.

writemotive
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by writemotive » February 20, 2014, 7:56 pm

At first, I too felt like I was being treated like a criminal about the receipt check, but now realize it's the best solution the stores currently have to combat a very real problem. I also know theft, fraud, and conspiricy costs us all. Too bad we can't check all our politicians and their co-conspiritors at the door.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by BigBubba » February 20, 2014, 9:15 pm

I would imagine shoplifting is just as prevalent here as anywhere else in the world if not more...

...Having worked in retail before, I can tell you that employee theft is just as much of a problem as customer theft.
I can also say that shoplifters cannot be profiled. I've seen people of all ages including the elderly caught shoplifting.
Can agree. Anyone been in a Walmart in America recently? There are HUNDREDS of those little smoky plastic domes hanging from the ceiling and a room full of security people somewhere with joysticks monitoring them. Pilot truck stops have what I'm sure is a recording every few moments that announces something like, "security, check camera T27".

"Shrinkage", as it's referred to in the retain business is a huge problem. I forget the exact numbers, and it varies by trade, but you have to sell many times the price of one lost item to recover it's value.

I kind of like the idea somebody had of just dropping your trousers and let them look everywhere! :lol:
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Udon Map
Admin

Thai shop security

Post by Udon Map » February 21, 2014, 12:49 am

Off topic posts removed.

GT93
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by GT93 » February 21, 2014, 5:45 am

I thought the penalties for theft in Thailand were extremely harsh and that this would deter many people (and just about all farang). Given the level of security this would appear not to be so.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Paladin
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by Paladin » February 21, 2014, 7:47 am

Anyone who takes a bag of any description into a store is bound to be challenged. I have never done that in the years I have lived here. Common sense tells me not to do anything to bring unwanted notice to myself. I know for sure that Lotus have plain clothes security walking around.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by merchant seaman » February 21, 2014, 8:29 am

Was too long ago they caught a Farang and his Thai GF shoplifting in Tesco's NaDee
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by Asiaphile » February 21, 2014, 9:57 am

I have nothing against shop security, but I do find DoHome's security over the top.

The other day my wife and I went there to check out prices of their AC units. My wife had a small envelope bag with her and the guard insisted that she should put that tiny little bag into that huge shopping bag that they lock. I found this so ridiculous that I wanted to turn on my heels and leave, but my wife with her soft mai-pen-rai attitude persuaded me not to do so. I know the guard was not to blame. She was just following orders.

I found that they had a good offer for an Electrolux unit that I was tempted to take but because of their security policy I'll vote with my feet and take my business elsewhere.

GT93
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by GT93 » February 21, 2014, 10:05 am

Yes, they're trading off fewer goods being stolen against lost sales. If they've got it right, what they're doing is increasing profits. I wonder if they try and work out if they're coming out ahead? MS - any news on what happened to the farang caught at Tesco Nadee?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Jello
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by Jello » February 21, 2014, 10:48 am

Asiaphile wrote: My wife had a small envelope bag with her and the guard insisted that she should put that tiny little bag into that huge shopping bag that they lock. I found this so ridiculous that I wanted to turn on my heels and leave,
Do they even sell anything small enough you could stick into that bag? :lol:

Reminds me of a meal I was having with some friends at a nice hotel restaurant at 3 in the afternoon. We were the only customers in the dining room. This restaurant changes the tablecloths and place settings between the lunch and dinner hours. We already had our food, but a employee insisted we get up so she could change the tablecloth and setting because it was time to do so. :roll:

Some Thai employees take there orders literally and either don't realize or are not allowed to use their own judgment.
UFF DA!

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Thai shop security

Post by Asiaphile » February 21, 2014, 11:53 am

Do they even sell anything small enough you could stick into that bag?
That's exactly what I told my wife! If we would have had the intention of stealing anything so small, I could have easily put it in my trouser's pocket.

Perhaps next we'll be required to strip to our underwear before being allowed to shop there :D 555
Whatever, they won't see me again there!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”