Malaysia Airlines plane missing with 239 on board

World news discussion forum
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 8, 2014, 10:17 am

Can only have a bad ending. :?
Malaysia Airlines says one of its planes has gone missing on the way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.

A statement from the airline says flight MH370 lost contact with air traffic controllers at 2:40am local time, just over two hours into the flight.

The plane, a Boeing 777-200, left Kuala Lumpur at 12:41am on Saturday and had been due to arrive in Beijing at 6:30am local time.

The company says the plane was carrying 227 passengers, including two infants, and 12 crew members.

The airline says it is contacting the next-of-kin of all passengers and crew, which includes people of 13 different nationalities.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-08/m ... ne/5307888

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 8, 2014, 10:26 am

yeah, not good Jacko..
' lost contact ' seems quick and fast, no mayday sort of thing..
wonder if there were any big wigs on it..

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 8, 2014, 11:18 am

Scary! I flew out of KL on Air Asia just a few minutes before this plane departed. Although tracking in different directions our flight was very smooth. Don't think weather was a factor.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Hages
udonmap.com

Post by Hages » March 8, 2014, 11:34 am

Malaysia Airlines says passengers were from 14 different nationalities. Here is a breakdown of the list:
Australia - 7
New Zealand - 2
China - 152 plus 1 infant
Malaysia - 38
Indonesia - 12
France - 3
United States of America - 3 plus 1 infant
Ukraine - 2
Canada - 2
Russia - 1
Italy - 1
Taiwan - 1
Netherlands - 1
Austria - 1

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » March 8, 2014, 11:57 am

Plane would have been at a cruising altitude of 35000ft over sea,pilot over 18000 miles flying,30 years with Malaysian airlines,not understand why the black box has not given any signal :-k
http://www.natgeotv.com/uk/air-crash-in ... /black-box

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 8, 2014, 12:32 pm

other news reports indicate that when they lost contact with the plane it was over Vietnam.. further rumors say there is a possibility it landed unexpectedly at an airport in southern China.
Dave

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 8, 2014, 12:50 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:other news reports indicate that when they lost contact with the plane it was over Vietnam.. further rumors say there is a possibility it landed unexpectedly at an airport in southern China.
Another case of the copilot locking the captain out of the cockpit and "seeking asylum"???

"Lost contact" with no distress call of any kind would indicate either a catastrophic mechanic failure or some type of explosion. I would not think this route would be on any terrorists hot list, but who knows. This aircraft has a pretty good safety and performance record, unlike it's successor, the 787 "Dreamliner". There was an incident on approach to Heathrow where it was found that fuel had frozen in the lines on final approach. The China Air crash in San Fran was attributed to pilot error. Time will reveal all.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 8, 2014, 1:11 pm

latest I got, but dont quote me on it, is picked up some signal coming from 280km SW Vietnam Pen, in the South China Sea..need to get there quick if it is the plane, and any hope of survivors is on the cards..

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » March 8, 2014, 1:33 pm

not looking good :(

Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/0 ... 1C20140308

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 8, 2014, 1:38 pm

Mai mee tahng !

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Very sad to hear this news.....Malaysia Airlines has an excellent safety record.
Hope its a happy ending but........ :(
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

pimples
udonmap.com

Post by pimples » March 9, 2014, 12:08 am

3 americans who missed the flight are tweeting about their luck ,you can look up the link

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 9, 2014, 12:47 am

There are now reports 2 passengers were travelling on passports stolen in Thailand. I wonder if the real identity of the persons travelling on the stolen Austrian and Italian passports will ever be known? They might have been Mossad agents or something similar. I don't think the Chinese government will be too thrilled that presumably European looking people were flying there on false passports.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » March 9, 2014, 1:01 am

I can't imagine flying into Beijing on a stolen passport. The immigration folks in China are nothing but business. If this story is true there were some bad actors on the plane. Just last week some crazy ass Muslims went on a frigging mid evil jousting competition in a train station. Hmm I'm never late to jump to conclusions

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 9, 2014, 1:20 am

BigBubba wrote:"Lost contact" with no distress call of any kind would indicate either a catastrophic mechanic failure or some type of explosion. I would not think this route would be on any terrorists hot list, but who knows. This aircraft has a pretty good safety and performance record, unlike it's successor, the 787 "Dreamliner". There was an incident on approach to Heathrow where it was found that fuel had frozen in the lines on final approach. The China Air crash in San Fran was attributed to pilot error. Time will reveal all.
An electrical fire onboard could easily explain the silence in terms of no distress call. On Swissair 111, for example, the fire disabled the CVR slightly more than 5½ minutes before impact.

I believe that this is only the third hull loss for the 777, the previous two being BA 38 (as you noted, Bubba), and OZ 214 at SFO, so until today, only one hull loss attributable to something other than pilot error. (And even the BA 38 loss was due to a problem with the engine, not the plane. That problem was not present in 777s which used GE engines, only those which were equipped with RR Trent engines.) An enviable, near perfect safety record for a model which has been flying for 19 years.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » March 9, 2014, 6:26 am

Just read that two oil slicks spotted by crew of a Vietnamese plane in the area where contact of the missing flight was last made but unconfirmed if they are from the missing plane.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 9, 2014, 7:47 am

Udon Map wrote: An electrical fire onboard could easily explain the silence in terms of no distress call. On Swissair 111, for example, the fire disabled the CVR slightly more than 5½ minutes before impact.

I believe that this is only the third hull loss for the 777, the previous two being BA 38 (as you noted, Bubba), and OZ 214 at SFO, .........
One hull was written off after a cockpit fire in a Egypt Air (B772) flight MS667 at Cairo in Jul 2011. No injuries, all personnel evacuated OK. @UdonMap could be close, pure speculation on my part.

Gotta wonder how holders of reported, stolen passports can get on board aircraft these days? :-k
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 9, 2014, 1:23 pm

There are now reports about there being 4 passengers on board who were actually travelling on stolen passports.
All 4, apparently, were sold tickets to the flight by China Southern Airlines a codeshare partner of MA.
It is also reported that China Southern Airlines sold seven tickets in total for the flight.

bahn_nok
udonmap.com

Post by bahn_nok » March 9, 2014, 1:42 pm

Passports were stolen in Thailand. Malaysia reported that radar history showed that the aircraft flew back. It made a turn. FBI arrived in MAL to investigate a possiblwe hijacking.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 9, 2014, 1:54 pm

Yes, a 180 degree turn without communication and with no clearance from ATC, HIGHLY suspicious! Looks very ominous at this point.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Return to “World News”