EPL Banter Thread

General sports news and discussions.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Poms and Their Soccer Teams

Post by jackspratt » April 22, 2014, 9:25 am

What is it with our English (and Scottish) brethren on UM that they can manage to turn almost any discussion on the forum into something about the soccer team they either love or hate? :D :-k

Just reading through the Active Topics page this morning we have the thread on "Thailands farang prime minister" veering off into him becoming manager of 'Toon' (whatever that is) and cockney waankers, and a thread about broken arms turning into painful soccer experiences. :shock:

And that is without even taking your sanity into your hands, and venturing into the various football threads in the Sports section of the forum. :roll:

All very strange. :-"

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 22, 2014, 9:47 am

I feel they will not be able to answer you.
They will have no idea what soccer is anymore. :?

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 22, 2014, 10:15 am

Come on Jack, use the right name for it, Poofter Ball.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 22, 2014, 2:14 pm

Never mind Jack, just do a bit of research and you might actually be able understand the reasons :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 22, 2014, 2:34 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Never mind Jack, just do a bit of research and you might actually be able understand the reasons :lol:
In UM-land, there seems to be no demonstrable link between research and understanding. ;)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 22, 2014, 2:47 pm

The "Toon" are Newcastle United a team from the North East of England who play in the English Premiership and are well supported having gates of 50,000 plus at each home game.
"Cockney waanker" is a term of "endearment" for the clubs owner,Mike Ashley,who hails from the south of England.
The current manager is a Mr.Alan Pardew who was awarded an 8 year deal last season.
The clubs recent form suggests Khun Abhisit would be more successful in this role than Mr.Pardew.....indeed,even Yingluck as manager with Suthep as her no.2 would be seen as an improvement by the emotional fans who come from this part of England.
Just to give you a little bit of background info,jack...... ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 22, 2014, 2:55 pm

Zidane wrote:The "Toon" are Newcastle United a team from the North East of England who play in the English Premiership and are well supported having gates of 50,000 plus at each home game.
"Cockney waanker" is a term of "endearment" for the clubs owner,Mike Ashley,who hails from the south of England.
The current manager is a Mr.Alan Pardew who was awarded an 8 year deal last season.
The clubs recent form suggests Khun Abhisit would be more successful in this role than Mr.Pardew.....indeed,even Yingluck as manager with Suthep as her no.2 would be seen as an improvement by the emotional fans who come from this part of England.
Just to give you a little bit of background info,jack...... ;)
Thanks Zid ......... would I be correct in thinking your excellent explanation is more for the benefit of others, rather than myself? :D

And to connect all the dots .............. the broken arm? :-k :D

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » April 22, 2014, 2:57 pm

Get a life you Aussie Tossers and learn to speak English :D
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 22, 2014, 3:18 pm

jack,
What thread is the broken arm bit on as I cant find it ! :oops:
However there is a phrase "dont break your arm patting yourself on the back" that could apply ?
Alternatively a "broken arm" can also refer to two large marijuana joints rolled together lengthwise.
I suppose it depends on the context of the post or even who the poster is ?? 8)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » April 22, 2014, 3:41 pm

dezzer wrote:Get a life you Aussie Tossers and learn to speak English :D
:lol: :lol: =D> =D> and its football not soccer :D

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » April 22, 2014, 3:57 pm

Take note Aussies And Yanks. :-$
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » April 22, 2014, 4:34 pm

Where are you from Drezzer, Most Poms cant understand English themselves let alone pronounce the language unless they speak the Queens English .God only knows how they understand each other. Lady Boys play soccer and support Arsenal \:D/

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 22, 2014, 5:59 pm

dezzer wrote:Take note Aussies And Yanks. :-$

Yes Dezzer I think it has been noted loud and clear but I would like to know when and why it actually evolved into the name football. When I was moving along my evolutionary timeline I reached the age of 7 and started to play soccer and did so under that name of soccer till the U'10's. My mates then got me into rugby league and so my next journey in sport began.
When did it become popular to start the football name?
I think it is still the USA and Australia who refer to the game as soccer?
Growing up
American football was known as Gridiron
Table tennis was known as ping pong and still is in some sports clubs in pattaya.
Badmiton was known as shuttlecock.
Marbles was always Marbles.

So for my take on it I will always call it soccer no matter how many times others mistakenly refer to it as Fooball. :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 22, 2014, 6:15 pm

Soccer was a Title given to the game by Private Schools in the UK many years ago. Football is only a recent terminology .... http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... CNUcHZ53Ew

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 22, 2014, 6:24 pm

Perhaps it acquired the name Soccer in Oz when the poor unfortunate locals could not afford a ball and had to use a rolled up sock ......... just a thought.
The word "soccer" was not used until the late 19th Cent many many years after the Association Football rules and competitions had begun

And the ex Thai PM born in the "Toon" has been credited with being the "leading light" behind second division English football being shown on Thai TV, when his beloved Newcastle United got relegated from the top league a few years back. :-k

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 22, 2014, 6:26 pm

Aardvark wrote:Soccer was a Title given to the game by Private Schools in the UK many years ago. Football is only a recent terminology .... http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... CNUcHZ53Ew
So it would seem that dezzer and goshawk are both products of UK private schools. :-k

And all good Aussies know what that means. :shock:

:D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 22, 2014, 6:28 pm

jackspratt wrote:
Aardvark wrote:Soccer was a Title given to the game by Private Schools in the UK many years ago. Football is only a recent terminology .... http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... CNUcHZ53Ew
So it would seem that dezzer and goshawk are both products of UK private schools. :-k

No Jack, what it means is that Aardy has got his so called FACTS wrong again :-$

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 22, 2014, 6:31 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
jackspratt wrote:

No Jack, what it means is that Aardy has got his so called FACTS wrong again :-$
Perhaps he needs to do further research - possibly with the help of 747. =D>

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » April 22, 2014, 7:26 pm

jackspratt wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: me in a private school :lol: :lol: :lol: i think you mean approved school,its always been Footie or football to me,mind you there is a well known programme called ''soccer Am'' in england ,so your guess is as good as mine

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 22, 2014, 7:28 pm

dezzer wrote:Get a life you Aussie Tossers and learn to speak English :D
Dez, You'll upset Mr Pratt speaking like that, Mate :lol: :lol:

Return to “World Sports”