E cigarettes

General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by bumper » April 29, 2014, 9:51 am

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/survey ... u-smoking/

Are these even available in Udon if you can't kick the habit, seems a better alternative?

Just happened to watch a BBC special on them, The obvious answer is never smoke in the first place. But, if you have tried the the other methods and I have. Thus only delivers nicotine. Bette then nothing.

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by 12345 » April 29, 2014, 10:39 am

Lao Kitchen @ 168 Platinum, as posted elsewhere:

pimples
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by pimples » April 29, 2014, 10:33 pm

they give off clouds of smoke worse than real ciggies ,furthers bans are planned on E cigs soon

Alchai
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Alchai » April 29, 2014, 11:55 pm

bumper wrote:if you have tried the the other methods and I have
Have you tried Champix Bumper?
It helped me, I've not smoked for 5 years now :D Definitely worth trying!
https://www.champix.com/
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

bumper
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by bumper » April 30, 2014, 7:26 am

Actually I did and it worked really well. Stopped for three months. Ended up in a highly a stressful situation, and smoked one that was all she wrote. I have PTSD, have pills for panic situation's like that I just wasn't at a place where I could take them I was driving. Up to that point I had no desire to smoke and I might have pushed things to far to fast. I went back on it and developed a negative reaction to them. That has been sometime now, might be worth giving it another try. It was prescribed to me by my doctor. Thanks for bringing that up I will talk to him again.

Been a few years so I might be able to that without the reaction.

Nothing is going to beat not smoking at all.

Thanks

Martyn
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Martyn » April 30, 2014, 12:23 pm

Bumper - I'm travelling to Thailand this weekend and have a short transit period in Abu Dhabi. Having read your e-cigarette query I decided to check out the law in the UAE concerning them as I use one and haven't had a real cigarette for 50+ days.
I was surprised to find that e-cigarettes are completely banned in the country and that gives me a problem for my short stay there.

I was going to put my e-cigarette kit in my travel bag, use it in Heathrow's Terminal 4 e-cigarette kiosk and again in the smoking room at Abu Dhabi. That's not possible now and the kit will have to go in my suitcase (that rules out using it at Heathrow too) because I read that UAE Passport Control can take them off you if detected by their security scanners. That's going to make it one helluva long haul flight for me now. I might have to buy a pack of cigarettes in the UK, smoke some on my journey and dump them when I get to Thailand.

Good luck with your quit smoking campaign whichever method you choose to take.

bumper
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by bumper » April 30, 2014, 5:54 pm

Interesting.

I don't get it, if they don't hurt someone at the same level a cigarettes, one would think that would be a good thing.

They tried to outlaw booze in the states, didn't work.

Battle on drugs doesn't seem to be going anywhere other then putting low level folks in jail

I will always respect a non smokers rights and happily take a walk.

Anyway not even sure where I'm going with this. I wish that someone has been around to tell me what this was going to end up being. But, our age group we had the Marlboro man died of lung cancer.

For it to become a smoke free world, it's going to take time.

California is a perfect example taxed them to death. Nothing went to prevention our assistance in quitting.

Something is very wrong with this entire picture.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

LU
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by LU » April 30, 2014, 10:22 pm

And now the use of e-cigarettes is banned in most public places in Los Angeles CA as well.
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/2529 ... -ban-in-la

bumper
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by bumper » May 1, 2014, 1:27 pm

Bet they still like the tax as well. I don't mind not smoking in public places with either one, You could really screw them up and chew the stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jello
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Jello » May 1, 2014, 3:18 pm

bumper wrote:Are these even available in Udon ?.
A few vendors are selling e-cig's at the night market. Also available on-line. Just do a search.

UFF DA!

bumper
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by bumper » May 1, 2014, 4:43 pm

Thanks

Jello
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Jello » May 1, 2014, 8:23 pm

Martyn wrote:Bumper - I'm travelling to Thailand this weekend and have a short transit period in Abu Dhabi..
It may not be a problem if you stay in the transit terminal.
Singapore has also banned e-cig's, but you can use them in the transit terminal smoking lounge. I've never been through Abu Dhabi.
UFF DA!

Martyn
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Martyn » May 1, 2014, 10:22 pm

It may not be a problem if you stay in the transit terminal.
Singapore has also banned e-cig's, but you can use them in the transit terminal smoking lounge. I've never been through Abu Dhabi.
Jello - It's worth looking into and I'm trying to do just that now, but can't find anything that points to yes. I think I'll ask Etihad's check-in staff at Heathrow and if no, slip it into my suitcase.

Just found this on Etihad's website about their airports.
Items prohibited through the screening point and in sterile/secured areas of an airport and in the aircraft cabin.

Passengers are not permitted to carry the following items into a security restricted area or the cabin of the aircraft:

• Acids and alkalis such as wet batteries that may spill.
• Corrosive or bleaching substances such as mercury, chlorine, etc.
• Disabling or incapacitating sprays such as mace, pepper, tear gas.
• Radioactive material such as medicinal or commercial isotopes.
• Poisons.
• Infectious or hazardous biological material such as infected blood, bacteria and viruses.
• Material capable of spontaneous ignition or combustion.
• Fire extinguishers.
• E Cigarettes.
You'd have to be very nervous about flying to be carrying a fire extinguisher. Whether all the above covers transit, and I think it does, I'll settle on buying a packet of cigarettes in the UK and dumping then at Suvarnabhumi bus station.

bumper
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by bumper » May 2, 2014, 7:37 am

It has gotten to far for me to understand. What brought my attention to it was BBC as a special. I would say my impression was nothing conclusive yet one way or another. Beginning to feel like Mcarthy and communist under every rock.

Thanks for your help guys

Jello
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Jello » May 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Martyn wrote:Just found this on Etihad's website about their airports.
Items prohibited through the screening point and in sterile/secured areas of an airport and in the aircraft cabin.

Passengers are not permitted to carry the following items into a security restricted area or the cabin of the aircraft:

• Acids and alkalis such as wet batteries that may spill.
• Corrosive or bleaching substances such as mercury, chlorine, etc.
• Disabling or incapacitating sprays such as mace, pepper, tear gas.
• Radioactive material such as medicinal or commercial isotopes.
• Poisons.
• Infectious or hazardous biological material such as infected blood, bacteria and viruses.
• Material capable of spontaneous ignition or combustion.
• Fire extinguishers.
• E Cigarettes.
Ridiculous to have e-cig's on this list of dangerous items. The only thing on a e-cig that might possibly pose a danger on a aircraft is the small lithium battery. However, there are lithium batteries in every cel phone and a very large one in laptop computers. But those aren't on the list.

It's obvious why countries ban e-cig's. Countries have not yet figured out how to tax e-cig's. Singapore generates 750 million USD per year in cigarette tax. If smokers switch to e-cig's they loose that revenue.
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Jello » May 2, 2014, 11:57 pm

Here's a good intro to e-cig's for anyone who may be interested:

UFF DA!

Arosolius
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Arosolius » May 3, 2014, 7:36 am

I haven't watched the documentary herein mentioned yet but I've been on E cigs for about 6 months and I think they are brilliant for nicotine addicts; of which I am one. Someone mentioned on here that they give off clouds of smoke - well, they don't. There's no smoke whatsoever because there's no combustion of paper or tobacco. The clouds of "smoke" are actually steam (OK, OK, nicotine laced steam) & E cigs don't set off smoke alarms on aircraft or in the house. Neither is there any smell in the air or on your breath.

Nicotine is relatively harmless but the tar in the tobacco and the bleach (dioxin & other chlorine related bleaches I believe?) in the paper is toxic & carcinogenic. Also there are a variety of addictive substances put in cigarettes by the manufacturers, not to mention the potassium nitrate which stops them from going out.

The downside with my smoking E cigs is that because there's no smell I now smoke indoors when at the computer. Before this I went outside to smoke so now I'm smoking a lot more. However, I don't cough now, don't have that awful phlegm and the tightness in my chest has disappeared.

I only buy smoke juice that has the ingredients clearly labeled because the Chinese smoke juices probably have all sorts of nasty crap in them although I can't verify that. I'm unable to participate in discussion on the subject for a couple of weeks because I'm going on vacation tomorrow but if any other addicts want to talk about it they can PM me.

P.S. If you read up on cigarette papers you'll find they seem to be at least as harmful as the tobacco despite all the pesticides used in growing it

Jello
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Jello » May 4, 2014, 12:26 am

Arosolius wrote:Someone mentioned on here that they give off clouds of smoke - well, they don't. There's no smoke whatsoever because there's no combustion of paper or tobacco. The clouds of "smoke" are actually steam\
Good point Aroslius. Here's another good video from Eric that explains some other misconceptions about e-cigarettes. (He say's it better than I can):

Arosolius wrote:The downside with my smoking E cigs is that because there's no smell I now smoke indoors when at the computer. Before this I went outside to smoke so now I'm smoking a lot more.\
I consider that a positive! :lol:
UFF DA!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 4, 2014, 1:04 am

This article is not so positive for the smoking addicts:-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e18414147/
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Jello
udonmap.com

E cigarettes

Post by Jello » May 4, 2014, 2:25 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:This article is not so positive for the smoking addicts:-

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e18414147/
From the above Globe&Mail article:
But new research suggests that, even without a match, some popular e-cigarettes get so hot that they, too, can produce a handful of the carcinogens found in cigarettes and at similar levels.
I don't know how many "a handful" is but a conventional cigarette has 33
known carcinogens and produces more than 4,000 chemical compounds when burning.

I'm guessing "a handful" is less.

E-cig's are safer, not safe. And thats a positive for some of us nicotine fiends. 8)
UFF DA!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”