The Rugby Site

General sports news and discussions.
maaka
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by maaka » March 22, 2014, 1:04 pm

just a heads up for budding rugby players, or coaches, anywhere in the world...
A new website called ' The Rugby Site ' has brought together a number of top players to give tips on how to play the game, on training, and other things rugby, or 7's..

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » March 22, 2014, 2:54 pm

A nice site with an interesting 6 Nations summary.

http://www.therugbysite.com/blog/news-o ... ns-summary
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

retired
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by retired » March 22, 2014, 3:33 pm

Not new, been around for a few years. but an excellent site none the less

GT93
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by GT93 » May 17, 2014, 1:04 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11255027

Here's a link to an article about a 135 kg school boy rugby player who is surprisingly fast. Even tough ex-SAS members such as Earnest who are still in good shape would struggle to tackle this lad. He'd easily weigh more than 3 Thai lasses his age.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » May 17, 2014, 1:14 am

Twice my weight and twice as fast, oh my giddy aunt.

The Kiwis shot themselves in the foot there with the passport thing, though. Maybe England or the Wannabies might consider developing his international career.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

GT93
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by GT93 » May 18, 2014, 2:47 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11256941

Another 3 tries for Tongan Thor yesterday. The Wannabies are going to need to write out a big cheque if they want this lad. He might end up playing rugby league in Sydney.

I doubt he'll head for England as there won't be many Tongans over there. The Aussies can't get enough of the elite Pacific Island sports people now.

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » May 18, 2014, 3:05 pm

When we lived in Somerset, my missus used to have a couple of NZ rugger players into the barbers for a haircut. They were young lads playing for the Ivel Barbarians. Not white fellas, Maori, I think.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by ajsp9 » May 18, 2014, 3:45 pm

Earnest wrote:When we lived in Somerset, my missus used to have a couple of NZ rugger players into the barbers for a haircut. They were young lads playing for the Ivel Barbarians. Not white fellas, Maori, I think.
I played for Tor Rugby club in Glastonbury !

jackspratt
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by jackspratt » May 18, 2014, 4:04 pm

At 18 years old, and already 135kg, is his weight likely to become an issue as he gets a bit older. :shock:

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » May 18, 2014, 5:35 pm

ajsp9 wrote:I played for Tor Rugby club in Glastonbury !
Ah, there you go, not too far from us. We used to live off the Mudford Road in Yeovil. We live in Hants now so I have a chance to go and watch the Quins at the Stoop, although not been this season. The Saracens knocked them out in yesterday's Premiership semi-final.

Hey ho. :shock:

socksy
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by socksy » May 19, 2014, 5:22 am

This season's Pro12 Final will be contested between Glasgow and Leinster after they beat Munster and Ulster respectively in the semi-finals.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » May 28, 2014, 3:16 am

Young Danny gets a second chance - nothing wrong in that. I hope he does better than last time.

Danny Cipriani ready to stake England claim in New Zealand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27596972
Danny Cipriani says he is more focused than ever before as he bids to win his first England cap in six years.

The Sale stand-off is one of two fly-halves named in the initial England squad for the tour of New Zealand.

But the 26-year-old believes the hard work starts now ahead of the first Test in Auckland on 7 June.

"It's great pulling on the training jersey for the first time, but that lasted for 10 seconds before I realised there is a job to do," Cipriani said.

With Owen Farrell, George Ford and Stephen Myler all unavailable for the first part of the tour, Cipriani will compete with Freddie Burns to wear the number 10 shirt, with both likely to feature in the match-day 23.

GT93
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by GT93 » May 28, 2014, 3:32 am

Cripes I didn't even know there was a test match against England coming up. It will be interesting to see the size of the crowd. Few people in NZ watch rugby live at the ground now. It's easier to watch at home and there are lots of big games. Rugby is over-exposed. The plus for a match against England is that England isn't out here very often.

Our chip on the shoulder against the old colonialists is smaller than the Aussie's humdinger of a chip so it's not such a big deal if we lose. Still it's not fun seeing England with some bragging rights.

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » May 28, 2014, 3:39 am

I love going to watch a game.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by karonsteve » May 28, 2014, 1:34 pm

GT93 wrote: Still it's not fun seeing England with some bragging rights.
I wish but I really can't see it happening.

socksy
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by socksy » May 28, 2014, 1:42 pm

Looking at the England squad it's inexperienced with only a handful of experienced international players.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

GT93
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by GT93 » May 28, 2014, 1:43 pm

I still remember the 1973 English tour. As a boy I went to the England - Canterbury game and England lost. They also lost their only 2 other provincial games.

Then in the last game they unexpectedly beat the All Blacks. NZ rugby has a long memory so the ABs have no excuse not to be properly prepared.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by karonsteve » May 28, 2014, 4:17 pm

The All Blacks don't have to go back that far to find defeat to get fired up about.
England beat the All Blacks at Twickenham 38-21 December 2012 to end the All Blacks 20 game unbeaten streak.

GT93
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by GT93 » May 28, 2014, 4:29 pm

Yep. You're right in terms of player psychology. But home and away are different beasts. NZers my age still want revenge for 1973. Losing at home is the pits. You guys fly around the world and out of season to front up in NZ. If the ABs don't demolish you they've let NZ down. Rugby, unfortunately, is our religion. It buys the consent of the masses. A bit like soccer in the UK?

Earnest
udonmap.com

The Rugby Site

Post by Earnest » May 29, 2014, 2:11 am

socksy wrote:Looking at the England squad it's inexperienced with only a handful of experienced international players.

New Zealand coach Steve Hansen questions timing of England tour

Sauce: BBC
New Zealand coach Steve Hansen says the Test series against England should not have been scheduled for June.

England will face the All Blacks in the first Test in Auckland on 7 June without their Saracens and Northampton players, who feature in the Aviva Premiership final the week before.

Hansen thinks the three-Test series should have been postponed to ensure England could select their top players.
Maybe Stuart Lancaster's thinking the same thing.

Return to “World Sports”