Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 28, 2014, 7:04 pm

what you must look for with a snake is that the most deadly poisonous snakes mostly have a triangle shaped head ....
i all ready have had my share of catching many snakes with my snake catcher when we lived inland , and even was rushed to the hospital with spitting cobra venom in 1 eye , so beware if you approach a snake, wear glasses and never come to close to the snake , as a snake has got the strike reach half of the body length, meaning a snake of 1m has a striking distance of minimum 50cm ...to know a little more what snake you have encountered , look here ...
http://www.siam-info.com/english/venomous_animals.html
http://www.thailandsnakes.com/category/venomous/
http://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/category/snakes/
and for the dutch on this forum...
http://www.sjonhauser.nl/slangen-determineren.html#top...
enjoy your catch but be very care full... ;)

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » May 29, 2014, 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure this is a Grey Kukri. There are actually several different species of the same name, so they can look quite different from each other. A description of a related Kukri species: "Threat display involves raising its head and compressing its neck, which is bent into an S-shaped curve." This sounds like what your snake is doing. Here's a picture of one from the internet.
Attachments
Oligodon-cinereus-03000031121_01.jpg

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 31, 2014, 8:44 am

hi guy's,
i have just caught this one and i am not able to identify it , my wife says poisonous , but i do not think so ...
DSC01175_resize.JPG
any ideas?...thanks .. ;)

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » May 31, 2014, 9:13 am

Maybe some type of kukri or keelback?

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 31, 2014, 11:56 am

indeed goshawk , i wasn't sure first as i did not find the exact match in the kukri ( no keelback ) species , so many different variations , but it sure looks like on the first photo here... ;)
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/field-he ... enile.html

broon97
udonmap.com

Post by broon97 » May 31, 2014, 7:17 pm

All this talk of snakes makes me wonder if there is any way to deter them. I heard that lemongrass plants keep them away but have no idea if that's the case.
Anyone have any proven methods?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 1, 2014, 5:12 am

Probably this one

http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_oligodon.html

About 75% of snakes in our house or garden are this species. Note the v pattern just behind the head, followed by the darker ring markings (which can be a lot less prominent than most photos show). I try to walk them out of the garden before the wife kills them ...

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 1, 2014, 9:23 am

broon97 wrote:All this talk of snakes makes me wonder if there is any way to deter them. I heard that lemongrass plants keep them away but have no idea if that's the case.
Anyone have any proven methods?
I'm not exactly crazy about them either an we seldom see on around our house in First Homes. But they do have advantages as rodent control and such. I don't have a clue a to which ones are good and bad. Our dogs seem to keep them away and they enjoy catching rats as well.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » June 1, 2014, 7:45 pm

Pigs love to eat snakes. They are really good protection.

Keepin ur grounds clean, helps a lot.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » June 1, 2014, 10:11 pm

Have you guys seen this video where the guy finds over 50 cobras in the house?

I'd have split after the first 2 were found :badteeth:
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 1, 2014, 10:15 pm

Barney wrote:Thanks Jimbo,

I think there is a Asia books store in Khon Kaen Central but not sure about UT mall. Have to look it up when I return to town later this week.
Ventured into Asia books at central and purchased copy of the only snake book they had on the shelf. Not the one in the previous photo from Jimbo, but will come in handy identifying the serpents. Dead or alive.
After reading about deterrents I have a plan in place. If they get passed the lemon grass then it will be the next last line of defense, a long handled shovel.
Then the snake book will come out. :-"

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 2, 2014, 7:29 am

Time for a new rental, great friend to have where is Mama? :shock:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 2, 2014, 11:22 am

At one time we had great clumps of lemongrass in the back yard, but it didn't have any noticeable effect on the snakes. I remember finding one snake on the wall around the property, right next to a clump of lemongrass. Given all the work to keep the lemongrass cut back, I would take the snakes if that were the tradeoff.

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » June 2, 2014, 1:19 pm

Thai people have no problem with snakes.
DSC00454_resize.JPG

You kill them and make a very nice soup from it.
DSC00457_resize.JPG
They are tasty and healthy.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 2, 2014, 1:49 pm

The one in the bowl doses not look very health...he looks dead!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 2, 2014, 2:49 pm

A few snake stories:
Back in 1971 while in Nakhon Nowhere Phanom (NKP), there was an article in the Bangkok Post of a woman driving a Merc in Bangkok. She sensed something wrong.....got out of her car at a traffic light and called in help. They removed the front seat to find a nest of cobras. Imagine!
A friend of ours lives near the KK Hwy/Ring Road intersection.....inside the ring. Around 1999, villagers wrestled a monster python from the klong alongside the road. They gave the snake to the temple (Wat Yo-Ta) where it was on display in a large cage for a few days....before the monks supposedly released it. They reportedly fed it a few chickens before they set it free. Rather than estimate the size....all I can say is.......Steve Irwin would have been jealous!
In their younger days, our 3 dogs teamed up to attack any snake that entered our property. Most of the time, one of the dogs would grab the snake and snap it in half with a single snap of its (dog) neck. One day, our dogs met up with a baseball bat fat couple meter snake under the tamarind tree. They knew they met their match....but were undeterred. After a few timid attempts to get near the snake, one of the dogs finally went in for the kill. The dog weighed about 40kilos. When he grabbed the snake behind the head and tried to snap his neck, he found himself flat on his back....all four paws up in the air, with the very large snake on top of him. The rest of the team came to his rescue and finished the job. The villagers ate the snake for supper that night.
Sometimes visitors to our home ask if we have ghosts. We usually tell them, 'No ghosts, but we have good spirits (เทวดา) around the area.' Sometimes visitors ask if we have snakes. We usually just laugh.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 2, 2014, 9:12 pm

Parrot,

Interesting and good tale of the dogs.
What breed of dog do you or did you have that would challenge the snakes. I don't think all breeds are that brave.
Would like to think my 2 at the moment would challenge the reptiles. They are maybe a bit young yet as they just like to frolic in the few rai we have.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 3, 2014, 6:59 am

2 Soi Dogs and a Siberian Husky. They all think it's great fun. Once they find one we normally just sweep them put into the street. as we don't want them to be bitten. On guy I know has a Pit Bull that killed them. I think one of the reasons we have so few. The dogs kill rats. Plus we are in the section of First homes, so it's not a frequent event.

The dogs we saw on the a farm didn't seem to pay much attention to snakes
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Post by Barney » June 4, 2014, 11:07 am

Well funny how you talk of snakes and they shall appear. 3 in the last 4 days. All different and unfortunately for my phobia getting bigger. The last one was a bit over 4 foot and black. I must have near walk on him as I took the dogs for a run. Dogs had a crack at it but it was rapidly gone. My block is about a 100 Mtrs long so if they stay at the 70 meter mark from the back door they won't get the shovel. Have stopped wearing my plastic croc's now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » June 11, 2014, 8:10 pm

kopkei wrote:hi guy's,
i have just caught this one and i am not able to identify it , my wife says poisonous , but i do not think so ...
DSC01175_resize.JPG
any ideas?...thanks .. ;)
Banded Kukri snake - harmless

Return to “Notice Board”