where to buy a self propelled lawnmower?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 8, 2014, 7:09 pm

One can only wonder how some stores continue to be in business......
Here's a photo of my Sakari lawnmower, with a Honda GXV160 motor. I bought it at Toolpro 3+ years ago......the auto part of the mower no longer works, but the rest of the mower is in top shape. There was one on display at Toolpro not more than a week ago.
Attachments
spd_20140305153659_b.jpg
a photo of the same mower available on line
spd_20140305153659_b.jpg (12.78 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 9, 2014, 7:45 am

Thanks for the pics...it's still a nice looking mower, how long did the drive work?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 9, 2014, 11:01 am

The drive worked for about 2 years mowing over 2.5 rai of grass.....so it got a workout. I managed to keep it alive with some help from a few shops, but couldn't find a replacement.....so I just removed it and use the mower as a push mower. In the big scheme of things, there's not much of a savings in workout between the push and the auto version.
The real McCoy Honda has a much heftier transmission...and an aluminum body. But the same engine as the Sakari (GXV160). I thought the aluminum body would be lighter....but since it's thick aluminum, the weight savings are minimal. And the Sakari body has zero rust after 3+ years of heavy workout. All said, I have a hard time justifying the extra 7000+ baht for the real McCoy Honda's better transmission.
Toolpro has sold a number of the HRJ216SDN models over the years....but may have to order in advance. I've been quoted a price of 25500 from Toolpro.
http://www.conexstore.com/index.php?lay ... &pid=90551

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 11, 2014, 1:30 pm

I had one of my Thai friends call Tool Pro today, I figured that I must not have understood them correctly when they said they could not get the Honda HRJ 216 Mower...especially considering that other posters had said it was available there as little as a couple of weeks ago.
What he found out was that Tool Pro's supplier in Bangkok was out of that mower, and because they are imported in large lots by that supplier, there is no definite time they can give me as far as when they will have one, so they told me they couldn't get one. My friend is the owner of an auto and truck parts store, and he told me that it is likely that they will wait on placing their order until they get quite a sizeable backlog of orders themselves.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 11, 2014, 8:22 pm

Have you looked at the Husquvarna? There's a guy up in Chiang Rai selling them.

http://huskymowersthailand.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=17

The ones I looked at on line come with a Briggs & Stratton engine and are self-propelled. They have 2 to choose from.

The only other alternative that I know of here in Udon Thani is the guy at the Fountain Circle.

I found this post on the Thai Visa site which may be of help to you: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/616 ... awn-mower/
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 12, 2014, 12:06 pm

Thanks...I did look at the Husqvarnas. I e-mailed the dealer in ChiangRai from the "contact us" on their website and asked for prices on two models. That was over two weeks ago and I haven't had a reply.
I also tried to get a price from Tool Pro on the same models, they were supposed to call me with a price but didn't. I can't blame it all on Tool Pro though, because I had my Thai friend call them later about the Honda Mower and could have had him ask them about the Husky mowers once more but I didn't.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 12, 2014, 12:53 pm

I wouldn't rely on email to get info. I've never had much luck getting a business to reply to an email unless i called them first. TIT I would just give the guy a call 086 896-9214.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 17, 2014, 5:48 pm

And the saga continues....

I called Simon at Husky Thailand today, nice fella...but no self-propelled lawnmowers in stock. He sold out and won't have any again for at least three or four months.

Also tried to order one from the link that Parrot was so nice to provide, also out of stock...will call me when one is available...don't think I'm going to hold my breath.

I even went back to Tool Pro and to check stock again, they are even out of the Sakura self propelled mowers and said it would take two weeks to get one.

So it looks like these are the options if I want a mower that I can afford any time soon:

Pay the high price for the Honda at the fountain circle shop

Buy a small rider mower: http://www.bahtsold.com/view/ride-on-mo ... 233?doqs=1
( I wish it were closer...pretty much a two day drive for me there and back)

Just give up and buy a nice push mower (and maybe pay someone to push it!)

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » July 17, 2014, 9:24 pm

Loads on display outside toll pro this morning.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 18, 2014, 7:10 am

Yes but no slef-propelled models

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » July 18, 2014, 7:15 am

What do you call selfpropelled, they were all self propelled, but not ride on, the ones they had you squeeze a lever and they go along with the power of the engine, you do not have to push them, loads there. including Husquvana.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 18, 2014, 7:39 am

I sure could be wrong but I was there a few days ago and yes there were a lot of mowers but none of them were self propelled including the Husky. I don't think I've ever seen more than 1 or 2 self-propelled mowers there at any one time and I'm a regular shopper at Tool Pro. Yes self-propelled mowers move under their own power normally by squeezing a lever which puts tension on a drive belt which in turn drives either the front or rear wheels.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » July 18, 2014, 7:50 am

I too had been looking for a self propelled mower and couldn't find one either. Had to settle for a wife propelled mower. Since I bought it she has stopped asking for an excercise bike.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 18, 2014, 9:07 am

kubotatim wrote:What do you call selfpropelled, they were all self propelled, but not ride on, the ones they had you squeeze a lever and they go along with the power of the engine, you do not have to push them, loads there. including Husquvana.
The handles you are talking about are "engine kill" handles. You must squeeze them in order to keep the lawnmower running, it's a safety feature so that people don't leave the lawnmower running while emptying the bag and accidentally become injured by the blade. You still have to push them. If they were truly self propelled they would either have two squeeze handles or else two moveable levers such as the throttle lever. (one for the throttle and one for the gears)

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » July 18, 2014, 12:44 pm

No you are wrong I have one, you squeeze the handle and off it goes, it has a totally separate throttle control, when you release the handle it stops moving but the engine keeps going

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 18, 2014, 7:01 pm

Nong Khai

For the most part you're correct. However, the self-propelled mower I have (bought at Home Pro a couple of years ago) uses the large wire handle to actually engage the belt drive. Release the handle and the mower stops but the engine continues to run as does the blade. This is an old design in the US which has since been replaced with the "engine kill" handles you abptly describe. All the mowers I saw at Tool Pro have the single wire handle but they are NOT self propelled.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 18, 2014, 7:09 pm

It's pretty easy to identify a self-propelled mower. There will be a plastic cover (this is the one I have) on top of the deck at the rear which houses the drive belt and pulley. However, some mowers like the one Parrot described have the drive mechanism under the deck so you'll need to lift the mower to see for sure. You also easily see the price difference between a self-propelled mower and the push type with the self-propelled one more expensive.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 19, 2014, 9:27 am

Thanks Mike,

Correct about the price, but there are a few exceptions. Global house at NongKhai has a Rover for sale for 25,000 baht that is not self propelled, this is the same price range as most self propelled mowers, and the Sakura self propelled that tool pro sells is 17,000 baht, which is the upper end of the price range for most non-self propelled mowers.

When I go into a store and head to their lawn mower section, a quick look at the prices usually tells me if they have a self propelled mower or not.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 19, 2014, 4:41 pm

I'm not familiar with Rover. That's really expensive for a push type rotary mower. Mine cost me 13,550THB about 3 years ago from Home Pro.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » July 20, 2014, 9:25 am

Yes it is really expensive for a push type mower, I had to look at it a long time because it was so expensive that I just couldn't believe it wasn't self-propelled. They told me it was from the U.K.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”